|AI Type||Hovering AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 122
The Old-gen console version and also feature the exclusive Spectral Gastropod variant. The Spectral Gastropod fires a slow-moving orb that disappears after a short time. version
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Gastropods will enter water to chase the player, and can continue flying and firing while submerged, unlike many other flying enemies.
- Gastropod lasers will keep traveling as long as they are in sight.
- Striking the Gastropod while it is preparing its laser will interrupt the attack and prevent it from firing.
- Gastropods do not look like Slimes, despite technically being considered slimes.
- While they are considered slimes, they do not drop the Slime Staff.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Like all slimes, Gastropods become harmless when the Royal Gel is equipped.
- Newer Hardmode players may want to avoid the Hallow's surface at night entirely, as Gastropods fire frequently, spawn often, and their lasers are difficult to dodge – especially when more than one Gastropod is on the screen (and there usually are). In Expert mode, the Hallow is less dangerous at night as players can equip Royal Gel.
- Gastropods drop much more Gel than any other non-boss slime, making them useful for gathering Flamethrower ammo. Using the Flamethrower to kill Gastropods is fast and will yield more Gel than the weapon consumes.
- The Bee Gun and similar weapons are effective at preventing Gastropods from firing, as its bees can attack continuously, leaving no pause for Gastropods to fire.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Real-life gastropoda are a class of mollusk that includes snails and slugs.
- Sometimes Gastropods can be seen flying in the Hallow background at night as ambience.
- The Bestiary entry for the Gastropod: "Touched by the blessing, these nocturnal slimes evolved into a levitating snail-like creature which spits powerful beams of light."
- The bestiary explains that the Gastropods are Hallow-enhanced nocturnal slimes, though it is not clear what connection these have with real-life gastropods.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Removed Spectral Gastropod. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Removed Spectral Gastropod. ()
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52: Removed Spectral Gastropod.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.