A Gem staff is a magic weapon that fires a brightly glowing projectile that travels at medium speed. There are currently 7 types corresponding to the 7 different gems. Higher-tier gem staves are capable of piercing one enemy. All gem staves are crafted from gems and bars at the Iron Anvil or Lead Anvil.
Types[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Not all ores can be obtained through mining in one single world. Only 4 of the 7 types of gem staves will be craftable in any given world without alternative ores obtained from a Crate, bonus drop from a Slime, or Extractinator.
- The Amber Staff can only be obtained through materials produced with an Extractinator, as this is the only way to get Ambers (and Sturdy Fossils, although the latter can rarely be dropped by Basilisks during Hardmode).
- Like most other projectiles, the speed of a gem staff's projectile is affected by water.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Their bright glow, low mana cost, and auto-fire from the higher tiers make gem staves handy cave exploration tools.
- A gem staff can be considered the magical equivalent of the Musket, being the first weapon of their class a player will often obtain and quite strong for when they can be obtained. Note that in the Desktop version and Console version, the Wand of Sparking is often obtained prior to a gem staff.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Amber Staff introduced.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Increased mana usage of gem staves. Slightly lowered damage of higher tier gem staves.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.