Gems/recipes order test
Gems are valuable crafting materials found underground. There are currently 7 gem types. Gems can also be placed on any side of a block after being mined. They are found in any underground layer, except for The Underworld.
Gems are found in the following forms;
- Embedded within Stone Blocks, as Gemstone Blocks.
- In placed form on blocks underground, including sometimes in Underground Cabins, rarely in the Dungeon, and Amber in the Underground Desert.
- As gem stashes, which are breakable background objects (similar to Coin Stashes), each resembling a rock with gems protruding.
- As a drop from a thrown Geode.
- As a drop from a Gem tree, which can be replanted with Gemcorns. This makes gems farmable.
Gems can also be found in higher concentrations in rare gemstone caves, which can contain multiple gem types lining and embedded within their Stone Blocks.
Types[edit | edit source]
In descending order of rarity and value (rarest at the top):
Internal Item ID: 999
Internal Item ID: 182
Internal Item ID: 178
Internal Item ID: 179
Internal Item ID: 177
Internal Item ID: 180
Internal Item ID: 181
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Gemstone cave[edit | edit source]
A gemstone cave is a rare, irregularly shaped room often found in the cavern layer. It contains a high concentration of placed gems on multiple stone surfaces, as well as a few gems embedded in stone. Most gemstone caves contain one or two types of gemstone, but can rarely contain three or more types. The type of gem found in such caves is easily identifiable by the Gem Wall the cave utilizes, but this wall cannot be collected to obtain any items.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Caves with Dirt Walls are considered to be within the surface layer and will not contain gems.
- Gem rarity is not affected by depth; there are as many gems just below the surface as near The Underworld.
- Gems are less common in the Underground Jungle. Regular non-Jungle underground biomes contain much greater quantities.
- Making Stained Glass is the most profitable way to sell gems (except on Mobile where it is much less valuable).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The stats of the gem staves are directly related to the value of the gemstone being used, with the Diamond Staff having a higher damage than the Amethyst Staff.
- In real life, some gemstones and minerals have been used as a dye, in particular azurite and cinnabar. This could be interpreted as the colored robes found in the crafting menu.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1:
- Inventory, placed, rock and stone sprites updated.
- Large Amber can now be crafted.
- Gem Locks can now be crafted.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Amber added (and the amber Orange Torch).
- Sprites changed.
- Can now be found as crystals on cave walls and in Gemstone caves.
- The original 6 gems can now be crafted into Large Gems, Gem Grappling hooks, and early-game magic robes and Gem Staffs.
- Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald, Topaz, and Amethyst can be crafted into Stained Glass.
- Stack limit increased from 99 to 999.
- Can now be placed.