|A player's ghost|
- Not to be confused with the Ghost enemy.
A Ghost is a character's representation upon death while playing in Hardcore mode. Ghosts can continue to explore the world, fly limitlessly, and pass through blocks. They cannot be seen by other players and cannot be harmed, nor can they attack, but can open doors, and they can continue to chat with other players in Multiplayer.
When a player dies and becomes a ghost, all their items are dropped at the location of their death. If they log out, their character is permanently deleted. The
.plr file can be restored from the system trashcan to the
Players folder thus restoring the character to the pre-death state.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Being a ghost allows you to explore areas that would have otherwise been unreachable while your character was alive; however, because the movement speed of being a ghost is slow, traveling long distances will take a long time. Additionally, as ghosts emit no light, you will not be able to clearly see places that are not already lit.
- Ghosts are not shown on the Minimaps of living players.
- No matter what your character looked like when they were alive, they will always look the same as a ghost.
- Ghosts never trigger enemy spawning. For example, entering the Dungeon before defeating Skeletron as a ghost and traveling under 0 depth will not cause Dungeon Guardians to spawn.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Because a ghost can open doors, a ghost can actually spawn the Queen Bee by breaking a Larva by opening a door into the space that the larva occupies.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Movement controls are now disabled while the player is typing.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.