Giant Flying Fox
The Giant Flying Fox is a Hardmode Exclusive enemy that spawns only in the surface of the Jungle at night, in addition to the common Jungle Bats and in place of the Derplings that spawn during the day. Giant Flying Foxes can deal significant damage to a player and without any knockback resistance, can push players down jungle caves. They prove a threat to early Hardmode characters.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In real life, a Flying Fox is any of several species in the family Pteropodidae, which are otherwise known as fruit bats. These are the largest bats in the world, found mainly in the tropical regions of Asia, Africa, and Oceania. Thus, it makes sense for this to be the largest in-game bat. The real-world versions are docile fruit eaters that are harmless to humans, though they sometimes come into conflict with fruit farmers. However, flying foxes actually cause fairly insignificant loss to crop yields. Flying foxes are important seed dispersers and pollinators in their ecosystems. The fact that it drops Grapes might be inspired by this.
- The Giant Flying Fox dropping Grapes is likely a reference to the fable of "The Fox and the Grapes", in which a fox attempts to reach some Grapes on a vine, but ultimately decides that they are undesirable.
- The Bestiary entry for the Giant Flying Fox: "An oversized cousin of the bat found only in the Jungle, giant flying foxes hunt the night skies looking for prey."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.