Giant TortoiseHardmode exclusive
|AI Type||Tortoise AI|
160240 (spin attack)
|Banner||Giant Tortoise Banner|
- Internal NPC ID: 153
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Damaging a Giant Tortoise causes them to stop their attack animation.
- When spinning, they take very little damage as their defense doubles.
- They do not spawn on stone blocks but will spawn on jungle grass.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Melee is highly effective, as long as the player stays close to the Giant Tortoise and continues attacking, it will be unable to use its jump attack.
- Any rapid-fire weapon such as the Megashark can easily prevent its attack.
- The Onyx Blaster paired with Crystal Bullets has high damage, and the shards can prevent it from attacking.
- Try not to make it enter liquid as it will make it automatically charge at the player.
- Any tactics that work for the Ice Tortoise should be effective against the Giant Tortoise as well.
- The Giant Tortoise is very difficult in Expert Mode as its health and damage are doubled.
- It's recommended that the player defeats at least one mechanical boss, recommending The Destroyer (The Twins for Expert Mode players), and gets Hallowed armor before farming for Turtle Shells.
- It should be noted that, due to the larger area of space for it to spawn in, Giant Tortoises can be farmed much easier on the surface with a Water Candle and Battle Potion than in the Underground Jungle.
- The pirate minion is highly effective against the Giant Tortoise.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This enemy, as well as its Ice Tortoise variation, appears to reference Tatori, a similar tortoise enemy in Super Metroid that also attacks the player with the same flying spin.
- Despite being called the Giant Tortoise, it drops Turtle Shells.
- The Bestiary entry for the Giant Tortoise: "No one takes the giant tortoises seriously. Not until they come hurtling through the air, a spinning, spiky ball of death."
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated. Old sprite was: .
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.