|Coins|40*40Pre-Hardmode: 100*1Hardmode: 400*4Post-Plantera: 480*480
The Giant Worm is an Enemy that tunnels through blocks in the Underground and Cavern layers to attack the player. It makes a distinctive shuffling sound that grows louder and more rapid as it approaches the player, providing an indicator of its location and proximity. It also leaves a subtle particle effect in its trail. It only spawns in Pre-Hardmode worlds and is replaced by the Digger in Hardmode. However, in 1.4, it can still spawn in Hardmode.
The Giant Worm consists of 6-8 segments in total. Its head is more vulnerable to attacks than its body or tail, but also does more damage.
- The Giant Worm's body and tail does the least damage of all current Enemies, but due to its large size, it can strike a player multiple times in a single pass.
- The Giant Worm does not take any damage from Lava.
- Spears are the quickest way to deal with Giant Worms early in the game, or any other weapon that can deal multiple hits at a time.
- Using a Flaming Arrow against the Worm will set it on fire, making it easier to track.
- If you have a Slime Gun and hit the Worm, the worm can be tracked easily due to the slime effect left by the Debuff.
- Giant Worms can surprise new players due to being able to spawn even when the player is slightly above Underground.
- The Bestiary entry for the Giant Worm: "These itty bitty diggy dawgs dig through the earth and take focused spelunkers by surprise, causing unwanted distress."
- Desktop 1.1:
- All segments now share a life counter, instead of individual life counters for all segments. Previously Head, Body and Tail had 10, 15 and 20 health, respectively.
- Only spawns before Hardmode, after which it is replaced by Diggers.