|AI Type||Fighter AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 624
The Gnome is an enemy that spawns in the surface layer underground. When a Gnome is not behind a wall on the surface during the day it will turn into a Garden Gnome that increases the Luck stat by 0.2 points whenever a player is within a range similar to banners or campfires.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Gnomes spawn in front of natural Dirt Walls near the Underground layer and in front of natural Living Tree walls at any height, or rarely at night or in front of any wall when the player is currently in front of a natural Living Tree wall. Spawn rates are significantly higher in front of Living Tree walls.
- Spawn chances are reduced by 25% for each Gnome currently alive in the world, with spawns becoming impossible with four Gnomes alive. This reduction does not apply to spawns in Living Trees.
- Gnomes will not spawn during a Blood Moon or a Solar Eclipse except in Living Trees. However, Gnomes will still turn into Garden Gnomes as normal during a Solar Eclipse.
- Gnomes can be commonly found within the root networks of Living Trees. It can be difficult to lure them out from these networks though, especially early game as they provide some heavy knock-back and prevent the player from climbing out of the Living Tree Roots to escape into the sunlight.
- Gnomes have neither drops nor coins. Therefore, the player should lure them to the surface during the day to turn them into Garden Gnomes, due to the fact that the placed item increases player's luck by 0.2.
- Gnomes turning into Garden Gnomes counts as the player killing them and will grant Banners.
- In Expert Mode and Master Mode, any coins that Gnomes pick up will be permanently lost when they transform into Garden Gnomes.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Use Battle Potion and Water Candle to maximize their spawn rate.
- Lava or traps can be used to kill any other creatures further increasing their spawning by reducing max spawns.
- Gnomes don't move if the player is too far away, so it is crucial to get close enough to them in order to bait them into sunlight.
- The player can use a Rifle Scope, a Sniper Rifle, or Binoculars to help locate them.
- Gnomes spawn behind naturally generated walls. Digging tunnels will increase the likelihood of them appearing.
- Gnomes can spawn directly on the surface, if there are natural walls present (usually from a player digging down). They will transform the moment they leave the wall they spawned behind, during the day.
- The player will have more chances to see them if they increase their luck.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Bestiary entry for the Gnome: "A tiny long-bearded sneak who resides in oversized trees. Becomes a lawn ornament when exposed to sunlight."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.