Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
- Internal NPC ID: 107
Are goblins really so different from us that we couldn't live together peacefully?
— The Guide
The Goblin Tinkerer is an NPC that sells several unique items, as well as providing the Reforge function. He can be acquired after a Goblin Army has been defeated, spawning randomly in open areas in the Cavern layer. He will appear to be bound at first, and like the Mechanic, Wizard and Stylist, talking to him in this state will free him. He will then respawn as long as a vacant House is available.
The Goblin Tinkerer's reforge option allows the player to randomize the Modifier for a weapon or accessory, which can make the item better or worse than it was originally. Reforges cost one-third of the item's current value, which can also be affected by its current modifier.
The modifiers of items used in crafting have no effect on the crafted item's modifier. Any modifier given to the newly crafted item will be completely random.
If threatened by enemies, the Goblin Tinkerer will defend himself by throwing Spiky Balls, which behave like those thrown by the player. They do not destroy grass however.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
Names[edit | edit source]
The Goblin Tinkerer may have any of the following names:
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Before the Goblin Tinkerer has been rescued, the Bound Goblin periodically spawns near the player as they travel the Cavern layer, despawning if they get too far away. Therefore, spending hours clearing the map and searching every tunnel is unnecessary.
- Consuming a Hunter Potion will cause the Bound Goblin to light up, making him easier to find.
- While the Bound Goblin can be found in any open area underground, bound NPCs may be easier for players to find in the Dungeon, as it is an expansive and easily navigated underground space. NPCs can also be found in the Jungle Temple.
- The Lifeform Analyzer will notify a player whenever the Bound Goblin Tinkerer is nearby.
- In the Mobile version you must drag your weapon to the space above the trades to get modifiers.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "You know, these Etherian Goblins are nothing like my people. Really rowdy bunch. Not that my people are much better..."
When Mechanic is present:
- "Hey...what's [Name of Mechanic] up to? Have you...have you talked to her, by chance?"(references the Goblin Tinkerer's flushed feelings for the Mechanic)
When Stylist is present:
- "I tried to visit [Name of Stylist] one time. She just looked at me and said 'nope.'" (references the Tinkerer being bald)
- "Thank you for freeing me, human. I was tied up and left here by the other goblins. You could say that we didn't get along very well."
- "I can't believe they tied me up and left me here just for pointing out that they weren't going east!" (referring to the Goblin Tinkerer initially appearing bound; and east/west and sunrise/sunset being inconsistent in Terraria, or the east/west reversal from their typical directions in real-world maps)
- "Now that I'm an outcast, can I throw away the spiked balls? My pockets hurt." (references Goblin Armies dropping Spiky Balls)
- "Looking for a gadgets expert? I'm your goblin!"
- "Thanks for your help. Now, I have to finish pacing around aimlessly here. I'm sure we'll meet again." (references the NPC behavior of walking back and forth for no reason)
- "I thought you'd be taller." (TV Trope: Expecting someone taller)
- "Goblins are surprisingly easy to anger. In fact, they could start a war over cloth!" (references use of Tattered Cloth to summon a Goblin Army)
- "To be honest, most goblins aren't exactly rocket scientists. Well, some are." (references the Rocket Boots he sells)
- "Do you know why we all carry around these spiked balls? Because I don't." (references Goblin Armies dropping Spiky Balls)
- "I just finished my newest creation! This version doesn't explode violently if you breathe on it too hard."
- "Goblin thieves aren't very good at their job. They can't even steal from an unlocked chest!" (references the fact that the Goblin Thieves in Goblin Invasions do not actually steal anything)
- "Hey, does your hat need a motor? I think I have a motor that would fit exactly in that hat."
- "YES, gold is stronger than iron. What are they teaching these humans nowadays?" (references the fact that Gold in Terraria is stronger than Iron, whereas in real life, gold is soft and malleable, not nearly as strong as iron.)
- "You know, that mining helmet-flipper combination was a much better idea on paper." (references the use of a Diving Helmet and Flipper in crafting a set of Diving Gear)
- "Yo, I heard you like rockets and running boots, so I put some rockets in your running boots." (see Trivia below)
- "Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver." (references the quote some parents use to keep children quiet, "Silence is golden")
During a party:
- "Goblin parties are a lot like humans. They both have games like "Pin the Blame on the Human" er... I don't play that game at my parties." (Reference to pin the tail on the donkey, a party game.)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- He is the only goblin who doesn't have pointy ears.
- As evidenced by some of his quotes, the Goblin Tinkerer has a crush on the Mechanic, and, referenced by some of her quotes, she has a crush on him too.
- The quote, "Yo, I heard you like rockets and running boots, so I put some rockets in your running boots." is a reference to the Xzibit "Yo Dawg" meme. It is also a reference to how the Tinkerer's Workshop can combine Rocket Boots with running boots (Hermes Boots, Flurry Boots, or Sailfish Boots ).
- One of his names, "Dalek", is a reference to the British show Doctor Who. The Daleks are an antagonistic race famed for their advances in technology and desire to exterminate all “inferior” beings.
- One of his names, "Gnudar," is possibly a reference to Futurama, as there is an alien known by the same name featured as an antagonist in one of the movies.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Fixed Goblin Tinkerer being slightly smaller than intended.
- Desktop 1.3.4: Added quote about Etherian Goblins.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Now can be untied with Autopause enabled.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.