The Goblin Tinkerer is an NPC that sells several unique items, as well as providing the Reforge function. He can be acquired after a Goblin Army has been defeated, spawning randomly in open areas in the Cavern layer. He will appear to be bound at first, and like the Mechanic, Wizard, Golfer, Tavernkeep, Angler, and Stylist, talking to him in this state will free him. He will then respawn as long as a vacant House is available.
The Goblin Tinkerer's reforge option allows the player to randomize the Modifier for a weapon or accessory, which can make the item better or worse than it was originally. Reforges cost one-third of the item's current value, which can also be affected by its current modifier. The reforge cost is also affected by the Goblin Tinkerer's Happiness, and can be decreased by equipping a Discount Card or Greedy Ring.
The modifiers of items used in crafting have no effect on the crafted item's modifier. Any modifier given to the newly crafted item will be completely random.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version when threatened by enemies, the Goblin Tinkerer will defend himself by throwing Spiky Balls, which behave like those thrown by the player and deal 15 / 22 / 26 damage at the start of the game, and (on the Desktop version and Mobile version) as players progress he will gain various stat increases.
The Bound Goblin is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Rocket Boots||5||Always available.|
|Tinkerer's Workshop||10||Always available.|
|Grappling Hook||2||Always available.|
|Spiky Ball||80||Always available.|
|Any Pylon||10||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
Living preferences [edit | edit source]
For more information, see NPC happiness.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Goblin Tinkerer may have any of the following names:
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Before the Goblin Tinkerer has been rescued, the Bound Goblin periodically spawns near the player as they travel the Cavern layer, despawning if they get too far away. Therefore, spending hours clearing the map and searching every tunnel is unnecessary.
- Consuming a Hunter Potion will cause the Bound Goblin to light up, making him easier to find.
- While the Bound Goblin can be found in any open area underground, bound NPCs may be easier for players to find in the Dungeon, as it is an expansive and easily navigated underground space. NPCs can also be found in the Jungle Temple.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Interaction quotes[edit | edit source]
When Mechanic is present:
When Stylist is present:
During the day:
During a Party:
When Tier 1 of the Old One's Army has been defeated:
During a Windy Day:
During Rain :
During a Thunderstorm:
When in a Graveyard:
Happiness quotes [edit | edit source]
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Underground:
When in the Jungle:
When near the Mechanic:
When near the Dye Trader:
When near the Clothier:
When near the Stylist:
When near the Princess:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- He is the only goblin who has short,but pointy ears.
- As evidenced by some of his quotes, the Goblin Tinkerer has a crush on the Mechanic, and, referenced by some of her quotes, she has a crush on him too.
- This is also proven by his happiness quote, "<Name of Mechanic> Makes my cardiac core function improperly, it appears I love how it feels!"'
- It is possible that his dislike of the clothier is a reference to this, similar to how the mechanic hates him
- The quote, "Yo, I heard you like rockets and running boots, so I put some rockets in your running boots." is a reference to the Xzibit "Yo Dawg" meme. It is also a reference to how the Tinkerer's Workshop can combine Rocket Boots with running boots (Hermes Boots, Flurry Boots, Dunerider Boots, or Sailfish Boots).
- One of his names, "Dalek", is a reference to the British show Doctor Who. The Daleks are an antagonistic race famed for their advances in technology and desire to exterminate all "inferior" beings.
- One of his names, "Gnudar", is possibly a reference to Futurama, as there is an alien known by the same name featured as an antagonist in one of the movies.
- The quote "YES, gold is stronger than iron. What are they teaching these humans nowadays?" is a reference to that gold is stronger than iron in Terraria, despite that iron is more durable in real life.
- Unlike other goblins, the goblin tinkerer doesn’t drop his weapon (spiky balls) if he dies. Ironically, he's also the only goblin to actually use spiky balls as a weapon.
- The quote, "Goblins are surprisingly easy to anger. In fact, they could start a war over cloth!" is a reference to how you start the Goblin Invasion event.
- The Bestiary entry for the Goblin Tinkerer: "Exiled from the rest of goblinkind for being an intelligent pacifist, the Tinkerer sells tools for combining accessories into stronger versions."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Fixed Goblin Tinkerer being slightly smaller than intended.
- Desktop 1.3.4: Added quote about Etherian Goblins.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Now can be untied with Autopause enabled.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
References[edit | edit source]
- Information taken from the Desktop 220.127.116.11 source code, function
There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 18.104.22.168.
- Information taken from the Desktop 22.214.171.124 source code, method
) There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 126.96.36.199.