We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
From Terraria Wiki
Gold Ore is an early game ore which spawns in the Underground and Cavern biomes, as well as on Floating Islands. Its primary use is to make Gold Bars, which can be used to make the Gold tier of equipment, as well as crowns, Thrones, and several other items. The equivalent of Gold Ore is Platinum Ore, which will sometimes replace Gold in a world.
- In real life, gold is one of the softest metals, but in Terraria (as lampshaded by the Goblin Tinkerer) it is harder than such heavy-duty metals as iron or steel.
- Even though gold and platinum ore (and bars) are of nearly equal sell value, 1 platinum coin is worth 100 gold coins. This is likely because platinum ore and bars were added after platinum coins, and also is a reflection to the real-world metals (in this case, platinum would be the higher rank).
- Gold ore can look like normal stone from a distance, so keep an eye out. Under the light of a Shadow Orb, it can even look like Copper Ore.
- Selling the ore rather than the bar yields 4 more per gold bar.
- 126.96.36.199: Placed gold has a new texture.
- 1.2.3: Increased stack limit from 99 to 999.
- 1.2: Gold will now sometimes not generate with a world, being replaced with Platinum Ore.
- 1.0.5: Now has a sparkle effect.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.