Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
- Internal Tile ID: 85
A Tombstone drops when a player dies. It can then be retrieved and used much like a sign or as a form of decoration. By default, they contain the status message which was displayed upon the player's death and usually describes how the player died.
Upon death, the tombstone will bounce around for a moment and then place itself on a nearby 2x2 free space. Two tombstones cannot land on each other, nor can they be retrieved if they fail to place themselves (e.g., due to lack of suitable space).
Variants are chosen randomly upon death. Golden Tombstones drop when the player has more than 10 in their inventory.
The Mobile and -exclusive tombstone variant dropped when the Worm Pet is active at death. Its tooltip is "A Tombstone that kinda looks like a worm, right?". Despite it saying so, the Strange Looking Tombstone cannot be re-placed after being freed.is a
Variants[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Tombstones are always dropped, regardless of the difficulty setting.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Tombstones can be easily farmed by placing Hellstone or Meteorite directly under the spawn and then creating a new character. The player will die, create a tombstone and then they will spawn again and die again. Alternatively, it can be done by digging straight down from the spawn so the newly spawned player will die from fall damage, or one could flood the spawn point with water and the player will drown.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Golden Tombstones, like all other tombstones, have no sell value.
- On the Xbox 360 version, before an unspecified patch, any profanity or sexual content written on tombstones would have resulted in the tombstone saying "(Censored)".
- There is no golden variant of the Obelisk in any version of the game.
- The Strange Looking Tombstone is inspired by the artillery turn-based tactics video game Worms 3, like the Worm Pet.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Golden variants of all tombstones except Obelisks added.
- Updated Tombstone, Grave Marker, Cross Grave Marker and Obelisk sprites.
- Desktop 1.2: Cross Grave Marker, Grave Marker, Gravestone, Headstone, and Obelisk variants were added. Variants are chosen randomly on death.
- Desktop 1.1: Is now dropped by characters on any difficulty.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Strange Looking Tombstone introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced along with Strange Looking Tombstone.