During a Blood Moon, or when hit with Vile Powder or Vicious Powder, Goldfish turn into Corrupt Goldfish or Vicious Goldfish, which have much more health and do attack players. This can be confusing for new or inexperienced players, as Goldfish are seen as passive.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
|Fish Bowl||By Hand|
|Bowl of Soup ( )||Cooking Pot|
|Bowl of Soup ()|
|Fish Statue ( )||Heavy Work Bench|
|Fish Statue ()||Heavy Work Bench and Ecto Mist|
|Neptune's Shell ( )||Mythril Anvil|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It is not possible to kill Goldfish by forcing them out of water. They will simply flop around on the ground continuously.
- Walking Goldfish will not stop walking when the rain ends, unless they re-enter water. They attempt to get off screen, in which case they then despawn.
- Vile Powder does not work on Goldfish that are walking around during Rain.
- Goldfish swim backwards and forwards, reversing direction every time they hit a block. If the block they hit, however, is upwardly sloped, they will swim up it, and if the slope continues out of the water, they will swim up and out of the water, at which point they will begin flailing about, unless it's raining.
- Goldfish spawned via a Statue will not count towards to the Statue spawn limit during Rain, for it turns into a walking Goldfish rather than the standard Goldfish.
- Goldfish will walk during rain even underground.
- On all platforms, the most effective way to sell captured Goldfish is by crafting them into Fish Bowls. Even on platforms where they have a decent sell price, the fish bowls are worth more than twice as much.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- While not directly utilizing the trademarked phrase, the Goldfish's tooltip is a reference to the snack food Goldfish ("the snack that smiles back").
- Goldfish could previously be killed and then used as a weak recovery potion (restoring 20 health), which the tooltip is a remnant of.
- Goldfish have black eyes, but when killed have red eyes. This may be because of the blood that appears when you kill it.
- The way Goldfish walk on land during rain may be a reference to how fish walk on land in several Dr. Seuss books.
- The Goldfish, Bunny, Bird, and Penguin are the only four Critters that have banners of themselves.
- On the Desktop version, a cloud in the shape of a Goldfish can occasionally be seen in the background.
- The Bestiary entry for the Goldfish: "A seemingly ordinary goldfish, until it decides to rain."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Can now be used to craft Fish Statues.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Goldfish now sell for
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Stack limit was raised from 99 to 999.
- Goldfish don't sell for anything now, instead of
- No longer dropped by kill, but only by use of Bug Net.
- Now releasable rather than edible.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Desktop 1.2:
- No longer generate coins when spawned from statues.
- They now walk during the rain.
- Sell price reduced from
200*2 to 100*1.
- Desktop 1.1: May now be harmed by players.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.