Golf is a in-game activity where players hit Golf Balls into Golf Cups using Golf Clubs. Golf supplies can be purchased from the Golfer NPC. Golf courses are not naturally-occurring and must be built. Due to the large size of golf courses and the optional nature of golf, it's likely that many players will experience golf in the form of custom maps.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Setting Up[edit | edit source]
Playing[edit | edit source]
To play golf, either place a golf tee and then put a ball on it by pressing ⚷ Open / Activate on the tee, or just drop the ball on the ground. Then, use one of the four types of clubs to hit it, those being the Driver, the Iron, the Wedge, and the Putter. The goal is to get the ball into the hole in as few hits or "strokes" as possible. Using the Golf Whistle will return the ball to its previous position with one-stroke penalty.
Golf Score[edit | edit source]
Separate from the the regular golf scoring system of stroke count, golf score is a statistic used to track a character's overall experience with playing golf. Golf score is calculated based on the number of strokes used and the total of the Euclidean distances of each shot. That is, by drawing a straight line between each location a shot is taken and where the ball subsequently lands, the total distance will be the total length of all those lines. The calculated score is then rounded down before being added to the character's accumulated score. The exact score before rounding is calculated using the following formula:
Score = (Total Distance / 16) / (Strokes + 2)
A player can accumulate a maximum total score of 1,000,000,000. The Golfer's shop inventory will expand as the player increases their total score.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The speed and trajectory of golf balls are affected by the following:
- Golf balls will travel further when hit from hard surfaces such as Stone or Gray Brick. Starting on a Golf Tee will make the ball travel further as well. Ice will cause golf balls to skid further when rolling on it.
- Conversely, surfaces such as Sand, Silt or Slush will slow golf balls down and make them harder to swing, unless with a Wedge club. Honey Blocks will also slow them down, practically to a halt.
- Golf balls will not break Cobwebs, but they will slow down when moving through them.
- Plants such as vines, tall grass, and thorny bushes will slow down the movement of golf balls. Using the Lawn Mower to mow grass will help golf balls travel faster and further.
- Water and honey will severely hinder the movement and trajectory of golf balls, while lava will not.
- Golf balls are affected by bouncy blocks such as Silly Balloons.
- Golf balls count as projectiles. They can be moved by Conveyor Belts, and they will activate Teal Pressure Pads.
- Golf trajectory is not affected by wind speed. Additionally, golf balls are not affected by teleporters, portals, or explosives.
- Golfing cannot be done in reverse gravity (using the Gravitation Potion or the Gravity Globe). The player will not be able to swing the club in reverse gravity.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- You can use the same level location for an Old One's Army arena and driving range. Putting a tee at one end and a cup at the other can give you plenty of points using the driver.
- If you put multiple golf cups followed by a large 1 block wide wall at the end, you can increase your 1 shot chance significantly and therefore increase the score points you gain. Also mowing the entire location helps, as balls bounce much higher and further on mowed grass.
- On a large world you can also setup a tee at the top of your Hellevator and putt down into the Underworld.
- Since the camera follows the golf ball once shot, it can be easy to use golf to search your world for Floating Islands. Simply put down a Golf Tee and use a Wedge or Iron club to launch the golf ball upwards. This has the added benefit of being faster and cheaper than most other early game methods as the golf ball travels fast without any additional purchases needed for each shot.
- Using a Golf Tee will automatically place a golf ball on it even if the player has no golf balls in their inventory. If the player already has a tee, there's little reason for the player to buy golf balls unless to dye into different colors.
See also[edit | edit source]
- FORE-RRARIA! Hitting the Links with Terraria Golf (May 11, 2020), a forums post by Re-Logic introducing the mini-game.
- Terraria 1.4 Golf Reveal! (May 11, 2020), a post by Khaios introducing the golf and showing the golf map Putt-rarria.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.