- Internal NPC ID: 588
He is found and spoken to in the Underground Desert, playing Golf with himself until he is killed or talked to. He will move in when:
- There is an empty house.
- The player has interacted with him (⚷ Open / Activate).
The Golfer will attack nearby enemies with golf balls to defend himself.
More items will unlock as the player golfs more, including clubs, chests, and trophies.
The Golfer is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Worn Golf Club (Iron)||Always available.|
|Worn Golf Club (Driver)||Always available.|
|Worn Golf Club (Wedge)||Always available.|
|Worn Golf Club (Putter)||Always available.|
|White Pin Flag||Always available.|
|Red Pin Flag||Always available.|
|Green Pin Flag||Always available.|
|Blue Pin Flag||Always available.|
|Yellow Pin Flag||Always available.|
|Purple Pin Flag||Always available.|
|Golf Tee||Always available.|
|Golf Ball||Always available.|
|Golf Whistle||Always available.|
|Golf Cup||Always available.|
|Arrow Sign||Always available.|
|Painted Arrow Sign||Always available.|
|Country Club Cap||Always available.|
|Country Club Visor||Always available.|
|Country Club Vest||Always available.|
|Country Club Trousers||Always available.|
|Lawn Mower||Always available.|
|Golf Cart Keys||Golf score over 2000, after Skeletron is defeated|
|The Rolling Greens||Golf score of 2000, during the following moon phases:|
|Study of a Ball at Rest||Golf score of 2000, during the following moon phases:|
|Fore!||Golf score of 2000, during the following moon phases:|
|The Duplicity of Reflections||Golf score of 2000, during the following moon phases:|
|Golf Club (Iron)||Golf score over 500|
|Golf Club (Driver)||Golf score over 500|
|Golf Club (Wedge)||Golf score over 500|
|Golf Club (Putter)||Golf score over 500|
|Golf Chest||Golf score over 500|
|Bronze Golf Trophy||Golf score of 500|
|Fancy Golf Club (Iron)||Golf score over 1000|
|Fancy Golf Club (Driver)||Golf score over 1000|
|Fancy Golf Club (Wedge)||Golf score over 1000|
|Fancy Golf Club (Putter)||Golf score over 1000|
|Silver Golf Trophy||Golf score of 1000|
|Premium Golf Club (Iron)||Golf score over 2000|
|Premium Golf Club (Driver)||Golf score over 2000|
|Premium Golf Club (Wedge)||Golf score over 2000|
|Premium Golf Club (Putter)||Golf score over 2000|
|Gold Golf Trophy||Golf score of 2000|
|Any Pylon||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
Living preferences [edit | edit source]
For more information, see NPC happiness.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Golfer may have any of the following names:
- Arnie Palmfrond
- Billy Bones
- Gunner McLovin
- Harry Madison
- Jake Nicklelisp
- Jim Mulligan
- Lion Pines
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Interaction quotes[edit | edit source]
When first meeting:
When Arms Dealer is present:
When Dryad is present:
When Angler is present:
During a Blood Moon:
During a Party:
During a Thunderstorm:
During a Windy Day:
When in a Graveyard:
Happiness quotes[edit | edit source]
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Forest:
When in the Underground:
When near the Angler:
When near the Painter:
When near the Zoologist:
When near the Pirate:
When near the Merchant:
Golf score quotes[edit | edit source]
When the player's golf score is less than 500:
When the player's golf score is between 500 and 1000:
When the player's golf score is between 1000 and 2000:
When the player's golf score is above 2000:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In multiplayer, the Golfer's shop unlocks are per player, so everyone must golf in order to purchase his full inventory.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Due to the Underground Desert becoming much more dangerous in Hardmode, it is recommended to find the Golfer before entering Hardmode.
- The Golfer can be found using the Hunter Potion.
- To prevent the Golfer from getting killed, it is advised to use the Calming Potion.
- The Golfer can be a lot harder to rescue in Expert and Master Mode, so if you hear his hurt sound or see the damage indicator, try to reach his position as fast as possible. Illuminating underground desert pockets can help to locate him.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name "Lion Pines" is a reference to the real world professional golfer Tiger Woods.
- The name "Arnie Palmfrond" is a reference to the real world professional golfer Arnold Palmer.
- The name "Gunner McLovin" is a reference to the real world professional golfer Rory McIlroy and fictional golfer Shooter McGavin from the movie Happy Gilmore.
- One of the Golfer’s quotes, “Huh? You eat WHAT for breakfast?” is also a reference to the movie Happy Gilmore.
- The name "Harry Madison" is a reference to the Adam Sandler comedy Billy Madison.
- The name "Jake Nicklelisp" is a reference to the real world professional golfer Jack Nicklaus.
- The name "Jim Mulligan" is a reference to the mulligan which is a stroke that is replayed from the spot of the previous stroke without penalty.
- The fact that he is found in the Underground Desert is likely a reference to getting stuck in a sand trap while golfing.
- One of the Golfer's quotes, "Don't go chasing water hazards, please stick to the fairways and greens that you're used to." is a reference to the TLC song 'Waterfalls'.
- Though the Golfer's quotes suggest that golf balls are influenced by wind speed, this is not the case in Terraria.
- The Golfer was first shown off in the town night spoiler released by Re-Logic’s YouTube channel on October 1, 2018.
- The quote "I'm not the type to scream and thrash around just because my ball lands in the water. I stay calm, and collected, and focus on the next shot." could be a reference to the fact that many golfers have suffered a brief bout of anger due to a misplaced shot.
- Once the player has a golf score of 2000 or higher, he will sell a total of 39 items at a time. If he is happy enough, he will also sell a Pylon, rounding up his stock to 40 items. He is tied with the Tavernkeep for the most items sold by any NPC.
- However, the NPC with the most items sold at any time, without certain pre-conditions, is Santa Claus at 39 items.
- Any items sold to the Golfer cannot be bought back once his shop has 39 items or more.
- According to Redigit, the Golfer is the Zoologist's older brother, referenced by some of his quotes.
- The Bestiary entry for the Golfer: "The Golfer is a wise, middle-aged man who sells all sorts of golfing equipment. He's got game and knows how to score."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
References[edit | edit source]