- Internal NPC ID: 588
The Golfer is an NPC vendor that sells golfing-related items. More items will unlock as the player plays more golf, including clubs, trophies, and paintings. He spawns in the Underground Desert, playing golf with himself. Talking to him will "free" him, after which he will respawn as long as a vacant house is available, even if killed.
The Golfer will attack nearby enemies with golf balls to defend himself.
He is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Worn Golf Club (Iron)||10||Always available.|
|Worn Golf Club (Driver)||10||Always available.|
|Worn Golf Club (Wedge)||10||Always available.|
|Worn Golf Club (Putter)||10||Always available.|
|White Pin Flag||20||Always available.|
|Red Pin Flag||20||Always available.|
|Green Pin Flag||20||Always available.|
|Blue Pin Flag||20||Always available.|
|Yellow Pin Flag||20||Always available.|
|Purple Pin Flag||20||Always available.|
|Golf Tee||1||Always available.|
|Golf Ball||1||Always available.|
|Golf Whistle||10||Always available.|
|Golf Cup||1||Always available.|
|Arrow Sign||20||Always available.|
|Painted Arrow Sign||20||Always available.|
|Country Club Cap||250||Always available.|
|Country Club Visor||250||Always available.|
|Country Club Vest||250||Always available.|
|Country Club Trousers||250||Always available.|
|Lawn Mower||1||Always available.|
|Golf Cart Keys||50||Golf score over 2000, after Skeletron is defeated|
|The Rolling Greens||1||Golf score over 2000, during the following moon phases:|
|Study of a Ball at Rest||1||Golf score over 2000, during the following moon phases:|
|Fore!||1||Golf score over 2000, during the following moon phases:|
|The Duplicity of Reflections||1||Golf score over 2000, during the following moon phases:|
|Golf Club (Iron)||1||Golf score over 500|
|Golf Club (Driver)||1||Golf score over 500|
|Golf Club (Wedge)||1||Golf score over 500|
|Golf Club (Putter)||1||Golf score over 500|
|Golf Chest||3||Golf score over 500|
|Bronze Golf Trophy||1||Golf score over 500|
|Fancy Golf Club (Iron)||10||Golf score over 1000|
|Fancy Golf Club (Driver)||10||Golf score over 1000|
|Fancy Golf Club (Wedge)||10||Golf score over 1000|
|Fancy Golf Club (Putter)||10||Golf score over 1000|
|Silver Golf Trophy||1||Golf score over 1000|
|Premium Golf Club (Iron)||25||Golf score over 2000|
|Premium Golf Club (Driver)||25||Golf score over 2000|
|Premium Golf Club (Wedge)||25||Golf score over 2000|
|Premium Golf Club (Putter)||25||Golf score over 2000|
|Gold Golf Trophy||1||Golf score over 2000|
|Any Pylon||10||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
Living preferences [edit | edit source]
For more information, see NPC happiness.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Golfer may have any of the following names:
- Arnie Palmfrond
- Billy Bones
- Gunner McLovin
- Harry Madison
- Jake Nicklelisp
- Jim Mulligan
- Lion Pines
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Interaction quotes[edit | edit source]
When first meeting:
When Arms Dealer is present:
When Dryad is present:
When Angler is present:
During a Blood Moon:
During a Party:
During a Thunderstorm:
During a Windy Day:
When in a Graveyard:
Happiness quotes[edit | edit source]
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Forest:
When in the Underground:
When near the Angler:
When near the Painter:
When near the Zoologist:
When near the Pirate:
When near the Merchant:
When near the Princess:
Golf score quotes[edit | edit source]
When the player's golf score is less than 500:
When the player's golf score is between 500 and 1000:
When the player's golf score is between 1000 and 2000:
When the player's golf score is above 2000:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In multiplayer, the Golfer's shop unlocks are per player, so everyone must golf in order to purchase his full inventory.
- Finding the Golfer in the underground desert for your world can be very difficult if there is no proper cave system, even with the Lifeform Analyzer.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Due to the Underground Desert becoming much more dangerous in Hardmode, it is recommended to find the Golfer before entering Hardmode.
- The Golfer can be found using the Hunter Potion.
- To prevent the Golfer from getting killed, it is advised to use the Calming Potion.
- The Golfer can be a lot harder to rescue in Expert and Master Mode, so his position should be reached as fast as possible if the hurt sound is heard or the damage indicator is seen. Illuminating Underground Desert pockets can help to locate him
- It is possible to get a golfer in a old world without a underground desert. You need to build a desert with the sandstone walls and get the music to play. Then you must clentaminate the biome to hallow, corruption, or crimson then revert it back to normal. Doing this makes the background walls turn into naturally generated walls allowing mobs to spawn. Then get a battle potion, water candle, and wait.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Several names of the Golfer are references to fictional and real-world professional golfers:
- The name Harry Madison is a reference to the 1995 American comedy movie Billy Madison.
- The name Jim Mulligan is a reference to the mulligan which is a stroke that is replayed from the spot of the previous stroke without penalty.
- The Golfer's quote "Huh? You eat WHAT for breakfast?" is a reference to the 1996 American sports comedy movie Happy Gilmore.
- His quote "Don't go chasing water hazards, please stick to the fairways and greens that you're used to." is a reference to the TLC song "Waterfalls".
- The quote "I'm not the type to scream and thrash around just because my ball lands in the water. I stay calm, and collected, and focus on the next shot." could be a reference to the fact that many golfers have suffered a brief bout of anger due to a misplaced shot.
- Though the Golfer's quotes suggest that golf balls are influenced by wind speed, this is not the case in Terraria.
- The fact that he is found in the Underground Desert is likely a reference to getting stuck in a sand trap while golfing.
- The Golfer was first shown off in the Town Night spoiler video released by Re-Logic's on YouTube on October 1, 2018.
- Once the player has a golf score of 2000 or higher, he will sell a total of 39 items at a time. If he is happy enough, he will also sell a pylon, rounding up his stock to 40 items. He is tied with the Tavernkeep for the most items sold by any NPC.
- However, the NPC with the most items sold at any time, without certain pre-conditions, is Santa Claus at 39 items.
- Any items sold to the Golfer cannot be bought back once his shop has 39 items or more.
- According to Redigit, the Golfer is the Zoologist's older brother, referenced by some of his quotes.
- The Bestiary entry for the Golfer: "The Golfer is a wise, middle-aged man who sells all sorts of golfing equipment. He's got game and knows how to score."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168.0: Introduced.