The Graveyard is a mini-biome that appears when three or more Tombstones are in close proximity. As the number of Tombstones increase, the game colors in the vicinity become gradually more desaturated, and lightning may randomly strike in the background. Graveyards cause Ghosts and Ravens to spawn, as well as night enemies like Zombies, Demon Eyes and Wandering Eyes in Hardmode, even during daytime hours.
As more Tombstones are placed, Ecto Mist will begin to accumulate. Many different crafting stations can be used in conjunction with this mist to craft a vast amount of items (go here for a full list of recipes). Also the more tombstones placed, the larger the Graveyard biome becomes.
- Five tombstones allow Ghosts to spawn, as well as Zombies and Demon Eyes during the day.
- Six tombstones allow Maggot Zombies to spawn.
- Six tombstones also cause NPC vendors to sell unique items and create enough Ecto Mist for being able to craft unique items (see Ecto Mist § Crafting).
The Sunflower buff does not activate for players in a Graveyard. However, the presence of Sunflowers cancels out the formation of the Graveyard mini-biome to some extent, increasing the tombstone thresholds outlined above.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- A large amount of Ecto Mist coats surfaces in Graveyard biomes, which can obscure items like Pressure Plates. This could previously be toggled on and off with the "Blood and Gore" setting, but this appears to have been patched.
- While night-only enemies can spawn at daytime through the graveyard, nocturnal bosses still cannot be spawned during the day.
- NPCs in worlds with Hardcore characters will drop tombstones when they are killed, making it possible to build a Graveyard without sacrificing a character. It is not known if hardcore characters are required for this, though.
- Although NPCs will complain when in a Graveyard, it does not actually affect their happiness at all. As a graveyard is always in combination with a different biome, their happiness value will be based on the other present biome.
- In this biome, every Zombie has the ability to open doors, albeit randomly. Maggot Zombies and Werewolves (only during Full Moon nights) immediately open doors, similarly to Blood Moon enemies.
- The Happy! buff is revoked whilst in a graveyard.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Avoid letting Tombstones accumulate around one's base/spawn point during the early game, as Ghosts have high health and damage output compared to starting characters, and the player will be bothered by Zombies and Demon Eyes.
- Using Sunflowers around common death spots such as arenas can help to prevent a Graveyard from being created without the need to constantly mine tombstones. Another option is to mine one-tile gaps in the ground and platforms such that tombstones cannot be placed.
- Due to the high spawn rate, having a Graveyard can be useful for farming coins.
- The Dryad sells Crimson Seeds in a Corrupt world and Corrupt Seeds in a Crimson world during Hardmode when housed in a Graveyard biome, meaning you can get both Evil biomes in one world without bringing some items from other worlds.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.