Gravity applies a constant downwards force to the player, affecting vertical speed and how quickly the maximum falling speed is reached. By default, gravity decreases speed by a rate of 1.5 tiles/s, up to a maximum falling speed of 37.5 tiles/s. Certain sources may add modifiers to both gravity and the maximum falling speed to improve or worsen their effects.
Modifiers[edit | edit source]
|Water / Lava||50% default max fall speed and 20% default gravity.|
|Honey||30% default max fall speed and 25% default gravity.|
|Trident(in water)||60% default max fall speed and 62.5% default gravity (20% and 25% while holding ▲ Up).|
Effects are exclusive to Desktop and Mobile.
|Merfolk(in water)||70% default max fall speed and 75% default gravity.|
|Featherfall||33% (1/3) of current gravity and max fall speed (10% while holding ▲ Up).|
No effects while holding ▼ Down.
|Space||Gradual decrease in gravity the closer the player is to the upper map limit, down to 25% default gravity.|
|Portal Gun||350% default max fall speed.|
Reversing gravity[edit | edit source]
The player's gravity can be reversed by using a Gravitation Potion or Gravity Globe. When used, they allow the holder to flip gravity, so that the player falls up instead of down, and toggle gravity back to normal afterward. Once used, pressing the ▲ Up key toggles the gravity direction. This only affects the player with the item used. Other notable observations include:
- Hitting the upper limit of the map while gravity is reversed will cause gravity to revert to normal. This will not reset the flight timer.
- The Wisp in a Bottle, as well as its controls, remain upside down in reversed gravity.
- Fishing is possible in reverse gravity; the fishing bobber will fall "upward" into the water.
- In the Old-gen console version, there is the option to turn off "World Flips Upside Down", making it so only the player flips.
Being in reversed gravity may also apply certain restrictions:
- Mounts cannot be summoned.
- Most platforms will not stop players falling upwards, and they will instead fall through them. Hammering a platform three times will allow the player to "land" on it upside down, but this usually does not reset the flight time.
- Golf cannot be done on reverse gravity; the player will not even be able to swing the club.
- The Gravity Globe does not change gravity while grappled, even if gravity is already flipped.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.