Would you rather have a bullet hole or a grenade hole? That's what I thought.
— The Demolitionist
Grenades are the weakest type of explosive and only damage enemies and players (not tiles) when thrown. They are purchased from the Demolitionist for 75 each, or found rarely in chests. Once Hardmode is activated, they can be found in Pots (replacing Shurikens).
A thrown grenade will bounce slightly and roll until it either hits a valid target or 3 seconds have elapsed, after which it will explode.
- Grenades do ranged damage, and thus the base damage of 60 is increased by any ranged damage modifier, like Necro Armor, and using grenades with frost armor's set bonus causes frostburn grenades, which do much more damage than the grenade's average, and in some cases, more than double.
- Since 188.8.131.52, as Grenades are thrown weapon and not ranged anymore, Necro Armor's bonuses won't apply. Fossil Armor's, however, will apply instead.
- Like most explosives, Grenades still damage players while PvP is off, dealing 60 base damage.
- Because grenades automatically explode when they hit an enemy, using grenades as short-ranged weapons is risky as they can easily cause self-inflicted damage.
- Grenades are extremely useful early-game, dealing massive damage for such an easy weapon to acquire.
- As Grenades do splash damage, it can be useful against Brain of Cthulhu first phase.
- A single grenade is enough to one-shot a Bone Serpent, and sometimes, a World Feeder.
- Grenades are handy against large numbers of enemies. A strategy to adapt during Blood Moons is to block off the doors and wait for the Zombies to accumulate. Once dawn has arrived and they are about to retreat, toss a grenade into them. This will reap a considerable amount of money with little effort.
- Grenades can also be effective against the Devourer and the Eater of Worlds.
- Using grenades against a Caster AI enemy is especially inadvisable. The grenade can easily explode upon hitting one of the enemy's projectiles, often much closer to the player than anticipated.
- Because their ability to do damage to many enemies at once, grenades can also be useful against the Goblin Army.
- The sprite is very similar to the american M67 grenade, a grenade produced from 1968 to the present.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Weapon type changed from Ranged to Thrown. Can now be used to craft Beenade and Bouncy Grenade.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Buy cost reduced from 4 to 75 .
- Sell cost reduced from 80 to 15 .
- Desktop 1.1:
- Stack limit raised from 20 to 99.
- Sell cost reduced from 1 to 80 .