- Internal NPC ID: 22
Unlike most other NPCs, the Guide spawns on world creation, before a House is available. He will however move into the first House built. If he is killed, a proper House will need to be built before he can respawn.
On the Desktop version and Console version, the Guide will defend himself against nearby enemies using a Wooden Bow and arrow, firing Wooden Arrows initially and then upgrading to Flaming Arrows in Hardmode.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Guide's crafting tips for weapons show adjusted damage based on any bonuses the player currently has equipped, such as the Molten armor's set bonus. Unequip damage-adjusting items while speaking to the Guide to see base damage. This also applies to critical strike chance.
- While NPCs cannot usually be attacked directly by players, the Guide Voodoo Doll will allow players to attack the Guide.
- The Guide, like any other friendly NPC, will not respawn unless it is day.
- The Guide must be alive to summon the Wall of Flesh, otherwise the Wall of Flesh will not spawn.
- The Guide will not have many useful tips after unlocking Hardmode, except hinting about destroying Altars and finding Souls of light and night underground.
- The Guide will incorrectly display advice for fighting the Eater of Worlds, such as destroying Shadow Orbs and exploring Corruption Chasms in a Crimson world. After defeating the Wall of Flesh, he will display his Hardmode messages alongside the bugged Pre-Hardmode messages about the Corruption, due to the Eater of Worlds having not been defeated.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
|Home Sweet Home • "The Guide has moved in!"|
|Have the Guide move into a house|
|Appease the Volcano Gods • "You sacrificed The Guide in boiling hot magma!"|
|Let your Guide die in lava.|
|Homicidal • "You killed The Guide, you maniac!"|
|Equip the Guide Voodoo Doll and kill the guide.|
The Guide's Advice[edit | edit source]
Some quotes may vary depending on what version of Terraria is being played.
At the beginning of the game:
- "You can use your pickaxe to dig through Dirt, and your axe to chop down trees. Just place your cursor over the tile and click!"
- "If you want to survive, you will need to create weapons and shelter. Start by chopping down trees and gathering wood."
- "Press Escape to access your crafting menu. When you have enough Wood, create a Workbench. This will allow you to create more complicated things, as long as you are standing close to it."
- "You can build a shelter by placing wood or other blocks in the world. Don't forget to create and place walls."
- "Once you have a wooden sword, you might try to gather some gel from the slimes. Combine wood and gel to make a torch!"
- "To interact with backgrounds, use a hammer!"
- "You should do some mining to find metal ore. You can craft very useful things with it."
- "Underground are crystal hearts that can be used to increase your max life. You can smash them with a pickaxe."
- "There are many different ways you can attract people to move in to our town. They will of course need a home to live in."
- "In order for a room to be considered a home, it needs to have a door, chair, table, and a light source. Make sure the house has walls as well."
- "Two people will not live in the same home. Also, if their home is destroyed, they will look for a new place to live."
- "You can use the housing interface to assign and view housing. Open your inventory and click the house icon."
If ore is inside your inventory:
- "Now that you have some ore, you will need to turn it into a bar in order to make items with it. This requires a furnace!" 
- "You can create a furnace out of torches, wood, and stone. Make sure you are standing near a work bench." 
If bars are inside your inventory:
- "You will need an anvil to make most things out of metal bars." 
- "Anvils can be crafted out of iron, or purchased from a merchant." 
If you have unobtained NPCs:
- "If you want a merchant to move in, you will need to gather plenty of money. 50 Silver coins should do the trick!"
- "For a nurse to move in, you might want to increase your maximum life."
- "If you had a gun, I bet an arms dealer might show up to sell you some ammo!"
- "You should prove yourself by defeating a strong monster. That will get the attention of a Dryad."
- "Make sure to explore the dungeon thoroughly. There may be prisoners held deep within." (Reference to the Mechanic in the dungeon)
- "Perhaps the Old Man by the Dungeon would like to join us now that his curse has been lifted."
- "Hang on to any bombs you might find. A demolitionist may want to have a look at them."
- "Are goblins really so different from us that we couldn't live together peacefully?"
- "If you combine lenses at a demon altar, you might be able to find a way to summon a powerful monster. You will want to wait until night before using it, though."
- "You can create [worm bait/a bloody spine] with [rotten chunks/vertebrae and vile powder]. Make sure you are in a [corrupt/crimtane] area before using it."
- "[Demonic/Crimson] altars can usually be found in the [corruption/crimson]. You will need to be near them to craft some items."
- "You can make a grappling hook from a hook and 3 chains. Skeletons found deep underground usually carry hooks, and chains can be made from iron bars."
- "If you see a pot, be sure to smash it open. They contain all sorts of useful supplies."
- "There is treasure hidden all over the world. Some amazing things can be found deep underground!"
- "Smashing a [shadow orb/crimson heart] will sometimes cause a meteor to fall out of the sky. [Shadow orbs/crimson hearts] can usually be found in the chasms around [corrupt/crimtane] areas."
- "You should focus on gathering more heart crystals to increase your maximum life."
- "If you gather 5 fallen stars, they can be combined to create an item that will increase your magic capacity." (now only needs 3 fallen stars to make 1 mana star, prior to the 1.3 update on Steam and OS)
- "Stars fall all over the world at night. They can be used for all sorts of useful things. If you see one, be sure to grab it because they disappear after sunrise." 
- "Your current equipment simply won't do. You need to make better armor."
- "I think you are ready for your first major battle. Gather some lenses from the eyeballs at night and take them to a [Demon/Crimson] altar."
- "You will want to increase your life before facing your next challenge. Fifteen hearts should be enough."
- "The ebonstone in the corruption can be purified using some powder from a dryad, or it can be destroyed with explosives."
- "Your next step should be to explore the corrupt chasms. Find and destroy any shadow orb you find."
- "There is an old dungeon not far from here. Now would be a good time to go check it out."
- "You should make an attempt to max out your available life. Try to gather twenty hearts."
- "There are many treasures to be discovered in the jungle, if you are willing to dig deep enough."
- "The underworld is made of a material called hellstone. It's perfect for making weapons and armor."
- "When you are ready to challenge the keeper of the underworld, you will have to make a living sacrifice. Everything you need for it can be found in the underworld."
- "Ostara's hare is corrupting the wildlife. Defeat it to change things back to normal."
- "I hear [Name of Merchant] sells a special ring that grows in power when gifted to one's true love."
- "A fairy spell gone wrong has shattered the Prism Danann. If you retrieve enough pieces, a leprechaun might befriend you."
- "Make sure to smash any [demon/crimson] altar you can find. Something good is bound to happen if you do!"
- "Souls can sometimes be gathered from fallen creatures in places of extreme light or dark."
- "I heard there was a powerful wizard who lives in these parts. Make sure to keep an eye out for him next time you go underground."
Names[edit | edit source]
The guide may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
In addition to tips, the Guide also has various quotes:
- "Greetings, [Name of Player]. Is there something I can help you with?"
- "I am here to give you advice on what to do next. It is recommended that you talk with me anytime you get stuck."
- "They say there is a person who will tell you how to survive in this land... oh wait. That's me."
- "You should stay indoors at night. It is very dangerous to be wandering around in the dark."
During a Blood Moon:
- "Hey, buddy, do you know where any deathweed is? Oh, no reason; Just wondering, is all." (Reference that Deathweed blooms on Blood Moons.)
- "If you were to look up, you'd see the moon is red right now."
- "You can tell a Blood Moon is out when the sky turns red. There is something about it that causes monsters to swarm."
During a Party:
- "Never been to a party before? You might want to check around with the others. People sometimes bring out special party favors."
When the Tavernkeep is present:
- "Normally I'd try to teach you all about the Old One's Army, but you should probably ask [name of Tavernkeep] about that."
- "The Oktober festival is here! [Name of Merchant] has brewed up some of his famous ale especially for the occasion and [Name of Clothier] is selling traditional festival clothes." (Only if Merchant and Clothier are present)
- "New Year is here! [Name of Demolitionist] is selling special weaponry to light up the skies, and [Name of Clothier] is selling traditional festive attire."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Cyborg refers to the Wall of Flesh as the "Wall of [Guide's Name]."
- One of the Guide's names is Andrew, named for Andrew Spinks (aka Redigit), the lead developer of Terraria. The Green Cap is dropped if a Guide with that name (or any name) is killed.
- Terraria's lead developer, Redigit, said during an AMA on Reddit that he created the Guide Voodoo Doll so players could get revenge on him for always opening the door.
- The Guide is depicted in two paintings, Guide Picasso and The Creation of the Guide.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Fixed the Guide's help tips not detecting the Demolitionist nor the Goblin Tinkerer properly.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Improved readability of two of the guide's tips as per complaints.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Fixed bug where guide will tell you to press Escape to open inventory even if you changed your keys.
- Fixed bug where Guide would talk about crafting Lenses when you don't have any.
- Fixed bug where Guide would talk about Shadow Orbs and Corruption in a Crimson world.
- Fixed bug where Guide would keep talking about Shadow Orbs until you beat Skeletron rather than Eater of Worlds / Brain of Cthulhu.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Desktop 1.1: Now has random name given to him on spawn. His death will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Desktop 1.0.1: Guide now explains the use of a hammer and its interactions with walls and placed objects.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- Only when you have no ore/bars in your inventory.
- Only when you have 100 max life.
- Only when you have Ore, but no Bars in your inventory.
- Only when you have Bars in your inventory.
- Only when merchant is not present.
- Only when nurse is not present.
- Only when arms dealer is not present.
- Only when dryad is not present.
- Only when mechanic is not present and Skeletron has been defeated.
- Only when clothier is not present and skeletron has been defeated.
- Only when demolitionist is not present.
- Only when goblin tinkerer is not present.
- Only when you have lenses in your inventory.
- Only when you have rotten chunk/worm food or vertebrae/bloody spine in your inventory.
- Only when you have fallen stars or rotten chunk/worm food in your inventory.
- Only when you have no grapling hook in your inventory and Eater of Worlds, Skeletron or Wall of Flesh has not been defeated.
- Only when Eye of Cthulhu or Eater of Worlds has not been defeated.
- Only when Skeletron has not been defeated.
- Only when Eye of Cthulhu has not been defeated and your max life is 180 or less.
- Only when you have 0 max mana.
- Only when you have 0 max mana and have no fallen stars in your inventory.
- Only when Eye of Cthulhu has not been defeated and your max defense is 10 or less.
- Only when Eye of Cthulhu has not been defeated and your max life is 200 or more and your defense is 11 or more.
- Only when Eye of Cthulhu has been defeated, Eater of Worlds has not been defeated and you have 280 health or less.
- Only when Eye of Cthulhu has been defeated, Eater of Worlds has not been defeated and you have 300 health or more.
- Only when Eye of Cthulhu and Eater of Worlds have been defeated but Skeletron has not been defeated.
- Only when Eye of Cthulhu, Eater of Worlds and Skeletron have been defeated but Wall of Flesh has not been defeated and you have 380 or less max life.
- Only when Eye of Cthulhu, Eater of Worlds and Skeletron have been defeated but Wall of Flesh has not been defeated and you have 400 max life.
- Only during Easter seasonal event.
- Only during Valentine's Day seasonal event.
- Only during St. Patrick's Day seasonal event.
- Only when wizard is not present, but world is in hardmode.