Guide:Crafting a Cell Phone
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
Status: Revised (This Guide got revised and is up to date!)
The Cell Phone, like other notable compound items (such as the Ankh Shield and Terra Blade), is an extremely powerful and helpful item to have on hand. Like a real-life cell phone, it can tell you the weather, the time, and where you are, among other things. Its usefulness however comes with a cost: its construction is highly time-consuming and some components are extremely difficult to find. This page will guide you on how to craft this item.
- 1 Basic diagram
- 2 Items needed
- 3 Farming and Tips on getting the Cell Phone
Basic diagram[edit | edit source]
|Platinum Bar × 10||Chain||Gold Bar × 10|
|Platinum Watch||or||Gold Watch||Tally Counter|
Also craftable in )
Also dropped by in )
|GPS||R.E.K. 3000||Goblin Tech||Fish Finder|
Items needed[edit | edit source]
Magic Mirror or Ice Mirror[edit | edit source]
- Magic Mirror: An extremely easy item to obtain, as it simply requires finding an Underground Cabin with a chest.
- Ice Mirror: Found under mainly the same conditions, except as secondary loot in Ice Chests.
GPS components[edit | edit source]
- Gold or Platinum Watch: Six varieties of watches can be crafted with any of the early pre-biome ores. To craft the GPS, you will need to obtain one of the highest-quality watches, which display the time to the nearest real-life second or in-game minute, as opposed to every minute or half minute. In order to craft the required watch, you must acquire 40 of either Gold Ore or Platinum Ore (only one type, as they cannot be mixed), and 3 of either Iron Ore or Lead Ore. Melt all of these into bars. Use the iron or lead to create a chain, and then go to a table and chair and assemble a Gold Watch or Platinum Watch.
- Depth Meter: This is dropped by Cave Bats, Ice Bats and Jungle Bats. A Bat Statue can be used to easily obtain one.
- Compass: The compass can be obtained upon the death of certain monsters; Mother Slime, Piranha, Snow Flinx, Undead Viking, and Armored Viking.
Fish Finder components[edit | edit source]
All ingredients are obtained from the Angler. You will initially have a 1 in 30 in Desktop version and Mobile version (1 in 40 in Console and Mobile) chance of obtaining each of these items upon completing one of the Angler's quests, although the chance will go up as you complete more quests.
R.E.K. 3000 components[edit | edit source]
- Radar: This can be found in Wooden chests, making it easy to find early on. It can also be obtained from Wooden Crates and Pearlwood Crates, although this may take more time.
- Lifeform Analyzer: Sometimes sold by Traveling Merchant.
- Tally Counter: Dropped by pre-hardmode Dungeon enemies (excluding Dungeon Slimes and trap-like enemies).
Goblin Tech components[edit | edit source]
- DPS Meter: Sometimes sold by the Traveling Merchant
- Stopwatch: Sometimes sold by the Traveling Merchant (he may sell both at once)
- Metal Detector: Dropped by the rare Nymph. A Lifeform Analyzer and Hunter Potions can be used to track down one. It will only have a 50% chance of dropping (100% in Expert mode).
Craft the PDA[edit | edit source]
- Note that the PDA can be used separate from the Magic/Ice Mirror. However, crafting the Cell Phone will help you in many cases.
Craft the Cell Phone[edit | edit source]
- Note that this is no longer an accessory and as such cannot be equipped nor receive modifiers.
Farming and Tips on getting the Cell Phone[edit | edit source]
To obtain these items, it may help to farm them. Make sure you have spare money to buy items from the Traveling Merchant.
All Items[edit | edit source]
- The Enchanted Sundial can be used to skip a day, allowing you to reset the Angler's quest and make the Travelling Merchant to spawn more often.
- You can also sleep in a Bed to make the time pass faster.
- Place Water Candles and use a Battle Potion to increase the spawn rate of the enemies.
- Place the right Torches and a Gnome to increase Luck so to increase the drop chance. You may also use a Ladybug and a Luck Potion.
- Do loads of Fishing. Fishing will give you fish to craft Potions that can help you.
- Defeat Skeletron in order to access the Dungeon enemies and drop the Tally Counter.
- Exploring caves a lot helps get many of the items needed, as many of the items are obtained from underground enemies.
GPS[edit | edit source]
- Watch: The Watch does not need farming, as it's craftable. You could use Spelunker Potions to help find the needed ore, or get the metal bars from fished Crates. The Extractinator might also be useful in getting the needed ores/bars.
- Compass: You may use Piranha Statues, as they work well to farm Piranhas, who, in the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, have a 2% chance of dropping a Compass.
- Depth Meter: Bat Statues are useful for farming Bats. Bats have a 1% chance of dropping a Depth Meter.
Fish Finder[edit | edit source]
- Do fish quests for the Angler every day, as the Fish Finder can be acquired randomly by completing quests for the Angler. The quests from the Angler reset at 4:30 a.m.
- There is no realistic way to farm the Fish Finder aside from getting loads of Quest Fish and offering them to the Angler when he asks for one.
R.E.K 3000[edit | edit source]
- Tally Counter: Enter a pre-Hardmode Dungeon with decent weapons, and start hunting.
- Radar: If no surface chests are found with it, or your world was generated before 1.3, you can find it in Wooden Crates. Use Fishing Potions, Crate Potions, and Sonar Potions to increase your chances. You can also create new worlds and use them to packmule items including the Radar.
- Lifeform Analyzer: Buy from Traveling Merchant (see above for tips).
Goblin Tech[edit | edit source]
- Stopwatch: Buy from Traveling Merchant (see above for tips).
- DPS Meter: Buy from Traveling Merchant (see above for tips).
- Metal Detector: Create a long tunnel in an Ice biome. Run from end to end of the tunnel until a Lost Girl/Nymph spawns. A Lifeform Analyzer can also be used to find them more easily.
- Don't defeat the Wall of Flesh without obtaining a Metal Detector. Lost Girls/Nymphs will be harder to find in Hardmode.
- Farm the Nymph in Expert Mode, as it will drop the Metal Detector no matter what.