Guide:Eye of Cthulhu strategies
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
|AI Type||Eye of Cthulhu AI|
|Damage||15 / 30|
|Max Life||2800 / 3640|
- Internal NPC ID: 4
- 1 Spawn Condition
- 2 The Fight
- 3 General Strategies
- 4 Specific Strategies
Spawn Condition[edit | edit source]
Eye of Cthulhu can be spawned by fulfilling one of these conditions:
- Have at least (200) Health, 10 Defense and at least 3 : it will then have a 33% chance of spawning at the start of the night. Note that this only works when it has yet to be defeated;
- Use during night.
It must then be defeated before the day arrives.
The Fight[edit | edit source]
First Phase[edit | edit source]
During this phase the Eye will spend most of its time floating above you. It will summon Demon Eyes, but will fly through walls and the ground. The Eye will still hurt you if you run into it, so do not disregard it while you kill the Servants. If you start to get swarmed by too many Servants, temporarily switch to a fast swinging weapon such as a to get rid of them quickly.which fly towards you to attack, much like
A good strategy in this phase is to aim mid-range weapons at the pupil of the Eye, since that is where it spawns the Servants. That way, you can kill the servants and damage the Eye. If you stand directly below the Eye and aim straight up with a piercing weapon, after a few seconds your projectile will fall back down and hit the Eye again. After spawning 3 or 4 Servants, the Eye will charge at you, attempting to ram you 3 times before hovering once more, so be prepared to evade. It turns rather slowly as it charges, giving you time to prepare your next dodge. It can be helpful to begin to evade after the 3rd servant is spawned, as this will often allow you to dodge its first charge.
If you manage to dodge it during his charging attack, and he goes underground momentarily, hit it with fire arrows before he disappears in order to set it alight, and you can see it on fire, making it visible. Keep in mind that in Desktop and Console versions, bosses have minimap icons to increase their visibility.
Rinse and repeat and the first phase should go down easily.
Eye of Cthulhu has 12 defense during this form, which negates 6 damage from every attack. As such, higher damage, lower speed weapons are more effective during the first form, such as the Musket or a bow.
Second Phase[edit | edit source]
For the last half of the fight, the boss sheds its iris to reveal a fanged mouth. Make sure to take advantage of its transformation sequence as much as possible, since it just spins in place for a few moments and you can still damage it. It moves slightly faster and deals more damage when it hits you but it also has no defense. It will not be summoning any more servants, so this time it will simply keep rushing at you. When it does so, do not try to attack it - concentrate on dodging. It'll charge you 3 times, and then pause for a few seconds during which you can attack freely. Try to hit it with your strongest weapon. For newer characters who haven't made it to the Gold-Platinum/Silver-Tungsten stage, Shurikens are still your best bet.
For this phase, Hermes Boots is an asset. With a wide enough arena, running in a straight line while the Eye of Cthulhu does his quick charge is fast enough to avoid any damage. Later in the fight, the player can use the Grappling Hook in tandem with the Hermes Boots for a quick escape, should he or she become stun-locked. As it is difficult to hit the Eye for the final percentage of his health, Spiky Balls are to be considered in this fight, provided the player has encountered the Goblin Army. Throwing Spiky Balls around the battlefield assures the player a number of hits on the Eye, even as it charges rapidly.are a useful but riskier alternative, due to its collateral damage if it explodes too near to you.
Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
In the first phase of the fight it is more aggressive, acting very similarly to first phase Retinazer: it spawns servants while floating above the player, and will occasionally make a few lunges. It also enters the second phase at 65% health instead of 50%, spawning a lot of servants in that process. A piercing weapon is recommended for eliminating the servants.
In this part of the fight, after the 3 normal charges it will perform a brief series of extremely quick dashes at a steeper angle. As its health goes down, the Eye will use this ability more frequently, until its only action is to dart haphazardly back and forth, making it rather hard to hit. To avoid the charges, Hermes Boots should be used at the bare minimum.
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
General Tips[edit | edit source]
- Starting the battle as soon as the sun sets (at 7:30 p.m.) will provide the maximum amount of time to defeat nocturnal bosses.
- Prepare your Boss-fighting arena with adequate lighting, and for health regeneration, and for mana regeneration if you use magic.
- provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Always carry at least one stack of the highest-tier healing potion available (Health Regeneration is not a good idea.
, , , or ). Relying only on natural
- The same goes for , , , or , if you use Magic.
- It is suggested to build houses for the thorns-like effect, while the latter can heal and remove debuffs instantly, at the cost of some . and the NPCs in your arena. The former casts the buff, which increases your defense and provides you with a
- Bosses are displayed on the Minimap: Follow the boss's icon to track it when you're struggling to find it. You can identify the boss icons by checking their respective wiki pages.
- Once you have freed the Dungeon, you can use to enhance your arena with and helpful and . The former help to damage the enemies, though be careful to set them up correctly in order not to hurt yourself during the battle. The latter will spawn heart and star pickups, respectively. Connect these devices to . in the
- It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu before summoning any harder boss in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of hearts.
- Remember to use the , , , and before you go to explore or battle Bosses / Invasions. These will give class-specific boosts that are useful to take. They respectively give , , , and .
Terrain preparation[edit | edit source]
An arena for the Eye of Cthulhu should be large enough to dodge and maneuver around in. The recommended size is just about the size of the screen, as the boss does not require a lot of mobility.
Gearing up[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
A full set of Silver armor or Tungsten armor is the easiest to get at this point, and it is a good choice for this fight. While it may seem tempting to use pieces of stronger armor (Gold, Platinum), doing so is unwise, as the Silver and Tungsten armor's set bonus provides more defense than mismatched armor. On the Mobile version, the Boots of Ostara can be paired with Silver armor to complete the set bonus while increasing jump abilities, although using it with Tungsten armor will not grant the set bonus.
In Desktop and Console versions, if you have taken out King Slime previously, the Ninja armor will be especially useful. While it provides less defense than Silver or Tungsten, it enhances the combat potential of throwing items, which are extremely effective against the boss.
If using magic weapons, you can use the Wizard set, which provides big buffs to magic weapon's stats.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
In general, long-range piercing weapons are recommended, as they are able to take out Servants and hit the boss.
- For Melee Users
Melee's options are fairly limited at this point, and mostly serve as a way to take out the low-hp Servants of Cthulhu. Certain melee weapons are able to launch projectiles, but may be difficult to come across.
- Swords aren't very helpful against the boss itself, but can make short work of the Servants of Cthulhu without the need to aim. You should aim for a or a at this point, but if you've been lucky and found enough or , you can craft a or a , which will perform even better.
- Using projectile-launching broadswords instead of regular broadswords is highly recommended, as their sword slash can take out nearby servants and their projectile can hit the boss itself. Their only downside is that they can be rather difficult to come across compared to regular broadswords. The three projectile swords available at this point are the Enchanted Sword Shrines, the found in Ice Chests in the Underground Snow, and the found on Floating Islands. found rarely throughout the world or in
- Spears can be helpful, hitting both the boss itself and the servants with the same hit. The only spears available at this point are lacking in range, so consider using a more ranged weapon when the boss is in motion. The recommended spear at this point is , or the found in Water Chests should suffice.
- Boomerangs can be of great use due to their long range, but missing with a boomerang can leave the player open for a moment. An or would be preferred.
- Yoyos are another type of melee weapon, and excel against the boss. A is the best choice at the moment.
- For Ranged users
- Bows are some of the best weapons available at the moment. The best one is either the or . deal the most damage to the boss itself, but can kill the Servants and hurt the Eye in the same shot.
- The is another fast firing weapon to use, doing decently against both phases.
- For Magic users
Magic weapons are mainly good for beating on the boss itself, but can also be used to attack servants in a pinch. All magic weapons at this point are able to pierce through multiple enemies.
- are the main Magic weapon of choice against the eye, with their long ranged piercing shots being a perfect fit for the boss battle. You should aim for a , , or at this point. The and tend to be lacking in damage output. If you manage to get the materials for the using it is a must.
- Dungeon, can rarely be found in the accessible areas, making it possible to obtain before beating Skeletron. If you're lucky enough for this to happen, using it in place of Gem staves would be a good idea. If you re-adjust your arena to contain solid-block walls surrounding it, you can make use of the Water Bolt's ricocheting projectiles. , normally found on shelves of the
- Corruption-only Shadow Orbs, so you need to be cautious when obtaining it. can be of great use to more ambitious players. While it's somewhat lacking in range, the lingering thorn can hit the boss and servants many times, and can even pass through walls to hit it, if you lack a platform arena. It's found in
- Crimson-only Crimson Hearts, so be careful while trying to obtain it. is similarly useful. Clouds can be defensively set up to avoid having to deal with the servants, while also dealing steady damage to the boss. It's found in
- Meteor armor's set bonus of removing the mana cost of the Space Gun, it can be one of the easiest ways to take down the boss. It is crafted with . , with its fast velocity and piercing properties makes it ideal for defeating the boss. However it heavily consumes mana, especially at a point in the game where the player might not have maximum mana, but in combination with the
- For Summoners
A Summoner's options are extremely limited at this point of the game. Because there are only three summoner-class weapons available pre-hardmode, summoners have a very tight selection available, made worse because all of these weapons are extremely difficult to obtain at the point you have to fight the Eye. For first-time or unskilled players, it's better to completely avoid focusing on the Summoner class until later in the game. For those who still want to try, get ready for a much harder challenge.
- Out of the three weapons available, the Slime Staff is the only that does not require you to fight a much stronger boss, or travel to a very dangerous place. Unfortunately, it is locked behind a 0.01% / 0.014% drop chance for all Slimes and Slimed Zombies with the minor exceptions of Pinky and the Sand Slime. Even if you somehow managed to get it, you haven't obtained a fantastic weapon for such a painstaking grind session (or stroke of luck). The Baby Slime deals very little damage and cannot fly. Even if it manages to attack the Eye, its piercing attacks will activate invincibility frames for the boss, preventing you from damaging it. It's best to skip this weapon altogether.
- The Imp Staff is the most powerful summoner weapon available pre-Hardmode, as the flying imps deal 21 damage and inflict the On Fire! debuff against enemies, at the cost of being completely ineffective underwater - a flaw that does not come into play when fighting the Eye of Cthulhu. To get this weapon, you need to craft it on an anvil with 17 Hellstone Bars, the most powerful ore before hardmode only found in The Underworld, the last location you visit before fighting the Wall of Flesh and activating hardmode. Ironically, out of all the three summoner weapons, this is the easiest to acquire – but is by no means truly easy. Assuming you can fish up a Reaver Shark, it is only a matter of playing with water and lava to produce and mine Obsidian, and carefully mining Hellstone. Caution is necessary, as the enemies in the Underworld are very dangerous and can easily kill you. For more information, see Guide:Mining_techniques#Mining_Hellstone.
- For Throwing Users
Thrown weapons are at their best at this stage of the game, with a wide selection of effective weapons to use against this boss. Most of them are also cheap or easy to obtain, allowing the player to rack up stacks of thrown weapons.
- Merchant. They will hit up to 4 times, allowing a well aimed shot to kill a Servant and hit the Eye twice - even three times, if it falls back through the boss. 500 or so are more than enough to defeat this boss with relative ease. are an effective weapon which can be bought from the
- or perform similarly to shurikens but do a lot more damage.
- cause high damage and hurt everything in their blast, but may pose as much danger to the player as they do to the boss. Since the Eye will be spawning Servants or charging at the player most of the time, it's difficult to keep a safe distance from the explosion. If desired, Grenades can be purchased from the . A good strategy for Grenades is to lay them like a quick trap. As the Eye charges at you, you can predict its movements. Throw a grenade underneath you and run away as the Eye begins to charge. If timed correctly, the grenade will explode on contact with the Eye and you will be unharmed.
- are useful and deal good piercing damage, which makes them an amazing choice on the first phase.
- avoid the danger of self-injury and work very well, especially in the second stage when Eye of Cthulhu will charge at you through the flaming puddles the Molotovs leave behind.
- are very helpful in its second phase if you scatter them all over the floor of your arena.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
- A or equivalents can aid in avoiding the rams, although this is less necessary with a good arena.
- A Grappling Hook is also very useful if you can grapple onto platforms above you quickly.
- or equivalents help by making it easier a chance to dodge the second phase's rams. In Expert Mode, these are almost required, as the Eye of Cthulhu will perform rapid dashing attacks.
- The will give a significant damage boost to most weapons available at the moment.
- If you find one, a can help speed up life regen, making lasting a longer fight easier.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- The most helpful potions are the , the , and the .
- Any food item that gives the buff is welcomed.
- significantly increases the damage output of bows.
- and are incredibly good for magic users.
Other Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Eye of Cthulhu drops either Demonite or Crimtane Ore. While the corresponding set of armor and a number of tools additionally require Shadow Scales or Tissue Samples respectively – which the Eye does not drop –, sword, bow, axe, yoyo, and fishing rod can be crafted with only the bars.
- Due to the ease of crafting its summoning item and relatively low difficulty, farming the Eye of Cthulhu is one of the more effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode. It drops
30000*3 (normal) / 75000*7 50 (Expert) up front, plus ores which can be sold as bars for twice (Demonite) or thrice (Crimtane) that amount.
- The Eye of Cthulhu will only spawn randomly if a player has 10 or more defense. Taking defense-boosting equipment off before sundown can prevent it from spawning randomly.
- The boss looks at the player it will follow, which can be helpful information in Multiplayer.
- When it is spinning, it is most vulnerable because it does neither move nor attack.
- Because there are no location-based requirements for summoning, slaying multiple Eye of Cthulhu in an area can be an effective setup for harder boss fights as the hearts can be picked up mid-fight as needed.
- Despite the fact that the Flare Gun does 3 damage on contact with an enemy, this weapon can be very effective against the Eye of Cthulhu. A Flare inflicts the debuff On Fire! on contact with an enemy. On a Zombie this effect does 1 damage at the time, but on the Eye of Cthulhu this damage is 17 lasting 5 (66%) to 10 (33%) seconds dealing in total around 238 – 425 damage per flare.Verify
- In Singleplayer, the player can repeatedly pause the game using Autopause in order to properly aim at the Eye of Cthulhu during its dash attacks.
Specific Strategies[edit | edit source]
Slimy Saddle Strategy[edit | edit source]
An amazing strategy to beat the Eye is to use the Slimy Saddle and bounce on the eye while at the same time attacking it with a ranged weapon. The eye will move toward you and you will bounce on top of it continuously dealing damage. If you want to try this strategy, make sure you have some forms of preventing fall damage i.e Lucky Horseshoe, Grappling Hook, or Cloud in a Bottle.
Magic Mirror Strategy[edit | edit source]
During the Second Phase, if you have your spawn point nearby, you can run one way and attack, and just when you think that the Eye is going to charge, use a Magic Mirror or Recall Potion to teleport to spawn, now running the other way, evading the attack and being left to open fire.
Railway Strategy[edit | edit source]
Another great strategy is to build a long railway at least 400 blocks long, with each end hammered into a bumper. When the Eye spawns, start moving and continue to move whilst shooting at it. It may take longer than other methods, but it requires little mobility and you take minimal damage. Also, this strategy works better if in single player or all players in a multiplayer world are together in the same area.