Guide:King Slime strategies
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
Spawn Condition[edit | edit source]
King Slime can be spawned by fulfilling any of these conditions:
- Naturally on Grass beyond the Dungeon and Jungle (this is approximate: it might be farther or nearer depending on world size);
- Naturally by Natural-occuring Slime Rain;
- Using .
It must then be defeated before all the involved players die.
Battle[edit | edit source]
King Slime is no different than a normal Slime: it moves by hopping to the player. Unlike other Slimes, however, it has a large pool of health due to its Boss status, and it's huge. This makes King Slime an easy target, but he jumps far and unpredictably; the height varies depending on the distance between him and the player. Failing to predict its jump destination can result in the player getting damaged.
Getting too far away from King Slime will make it teleport to you, meaning that you can't escape by just running out of screen. However this can be taken advantage of, as it can get stuck in enclosed spaces.
As King Slime gets damaged, it gets smaller. This makes it more mobile and harder to hit, having less issues to escape small enclosures (should it fail however it might teleport instead), and it spawns lesserto harass you. These can make you waste ammo on them instead of the King Slime, so the use of piercing weapons or ammo is important.
Old-gen console and [edit | edit source]
The main difference between these versions with Desktop, Console, and Mobile is that it doesn't teleport: it can get eternally stuck in small to medium-sized enclosures if it spawns there, but it's mostly the same.
Expert mode[edit | edit source]
There are not many changes about the King Slime itself besides its higher Damage and Health. However, when damaged it will spawnin addition to regular Blue Slimes. Those can throw volleys of spikes at a short distance, so having a weapon which can pierce multiple targets and attack from a range will be necessary to avoid being bombarded to death.
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
King Slime is one of the few bosses in the game that lack the ability to go through blocks. This can be exploited in multiple ways:
- Climbing on a 35 blocks above the ground allows you to attack him at range safely without him teleporting onto you. Add extra rope to give yourself a margin of error, or to retreat and heal if need be. Using this method makes potions, higher damaging weapons, armor, and movement accessories optional, as the player will not need to dodge attacks or mitigate damage.
- Make one or two platforms above the ground; King Slime will eventually teleport to ground level and you can easily hit him from the platforms.
- A flat area with small room below it with Platforms as roof for the player. King Slime can't enter small rooms and thus cannot reach the players in it.
It is also good to place Campfires and Heart Lanterns, as they increase the player's health regeneration. A Star in a Bottle and a Sunflower can also help increase mana regeneration and movement speed respectively.
Gearing Up[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
Armor is not very important in this fight. However, it is recommended to have at least Cactus Armor, as it is easy to obtain and provides a decent amount of defense.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
Most weapons can be used to fight this boss without difficulties. Piercing weapons may be preferred, to hit both the Blue Slimes and the King Slime himself.
- As a Melee character, Swords are a bad idea due to the amount of Slimes the King will spawn, but the , or should definitely be used if obtained.
- An or are great at attacking him from a distance.
- The is also helpful.
- Ranged users should bring a
- or are the preferred ammo type, due to the high single target damage of the former and the piercing effect of the latter.
- Magic users should bring at least Sapphire or Emerald Staff. or are the best available.
- Throwing users should bring a bunch of
or . can deal a lot of damage, although they may damage the player if used recklessly.
- If Pinky has been killed, should be crafted, as they are very powerful throwing weapons.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
Like weapons, most accessories can help:
- , , , or can help avoiding damage or running away in bad situations.
- The Flying Carpet is also a very good accessory since its ability to hover can make the King Slime unable to reach you.
- , , , , or (if you have defeated the Goblin Army) can also help with vertical movements.
- A can be useful to increase rate of regeneration while avoiding being damaged by King Slime, and a can help to refill Mana faster, respectively.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- can help by reducing the damage received.
- help recovering life lost.
- Any food that grants buff.
- so you can evade the teleports and run under the jumps if needed.
Specific Strategies[edit | edit source]
No teleports Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Build a one-block thick wall 18-20 blocks high;
- Create a walkway between 35-50 blocks long with platforms for maneuverability;
- Make sure a is nearby.
- Use any long-range weapons (Yo-yos, Bows, Gem Staves or Throwing weapons).
Rope Strategy[edit | edit source]
An easy way to defeat King Slime is to do this:
- Make a rope around 25-35 blocks high from the ground
- Use any weapon that has range (Bows, Staves, Shurikens, Grenades, etc.)
- Climb up to the rope, and shoot King Slime. He will be unable to attack you.
This way, you are practically invincible from him, as he cannot jump to you, and there is no surface for him to teleport on. Be careful if doing this strategy during Slime Rain, since a slime can fall from the sky and knock you off the rope.
Lava pit Strategy[edit | edit source]
Because the King Slime can be harmed by Lava, a good strategy is to use ato make a long strip of land with a small amount of lava (shallow enough so items don't burn) and then make some widely placed platforms. You can jump, use rocket boots, or use a grappling hook to move between platforms. Just be careful to not jump in the lava if you don't plan to use . This strategy works with his teleports, and the minions will all die from falling in the lava. You don't have to focus on fighting, because the lava will dish out major damage. You can also skip the platforms, and use a Obsidian Skin Potion, and just evade by running under the slime, or using to fly over.
Minecart Strategy[edit | edit source]
Another strategy is to make something that could help you later, a long Minecart rail path. If you build it just high enough, he will not be able to teleport or jump on you. His attacks rely on you being on the ground. To the AI, it seems that you are on the ground, so he just sits under you and occasionally jumps, making him an easy target.
- Two pieces will drop from the Expert mode Treasure Bag.