Guide:King Slime strategies
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
|Type||Boss – Slime|
|AI Type||King Slime AI|
|Damage||40 / 64|
|Max Life||2000 / 2800|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- ( )100%
- Internal NPC ID: 50
- 1 Spawn Condition
- 2 Battle
- 3 General Strategies
- 4 Specific Strategies
Spawn Condition[edit | edit source]
King Slime can be spawned by fulfilling any of these conditions:
- Naturally on Grass beyond the Dungeon and Jungle (this is approximate: it might be farther or nearer depending on world size);
- Naturally by Natural-occuring Slime Rain;
- Using .
It must then be defeated before all the involved players die.
Battle[edit | edit source]
King Slime is no different than a normal Slime: it moves by hopping to the player. Unlike slimes however, it has a large pool of health due to its status of boss, and it's huge. This makes King Slime an easy target, but don't let that deceive you: its jumps are very far and unpredictable (it's height also vary, depending on the distance between him and the player), and failing to predict it's jump destination can make you get damaged.
Getting too far to King Slime will make him teleport to you, meaning that you can't escape by just running out of screen. You can use it to your advantage however, as it can get stuck in enclosed spaces.
As King Slime gets damaged, it gets smaller. While this makes him harder to get hit, it also makes him more mobile, having less issues to escape small enclosures (should it fail however it might teleport instead), and it spawns lesserto harass you. These can make you waste ammo on them instead of the King Slime, so the use of piercing weapons or ammo is important.
Killing King Slime only makes your life in Pre-Hardmode easier: its drop can greatly help you move around, but doesn't help you progress in the game. It makes the Slime Rain to stop however.
Old-gen console, Mobile, and [edit | edit source]
Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
There are not many changes about the King Slime itself besides its higher Damage and Health. However, when damaged it will spawnin addition to regular Blue Slimes. Those can throw volleys of spikes at a short distance, so having a weapon which can pierce multiple targets and attack from a range will be necessary to avoid being bombarded to death.
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
General Tips[edit | edit source]
- Starting the battle as soon as the sun sets (at 7:30 p.m.) will provide the maximum amount of time to defeat nocturnal bosses.
- Prepare your Boss-fighting arena with adequate lighting, and for health regeneration, and for mana regeneration if you use magic.
- provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Always bring with you at least one stack of Health Regeneration is not a good idea.
, , or before doing anything: relying only on natural
- The same goes for , , or , if you use Magic.
- It is suggested to build houses for the thorns-like effect, while the latter can heal and remove debuffs instantly, at the cost of some . and the NPCs in your arena. The former casts the buff, which increases your defense and provides you with a
- Bosses are displayed on the Minimap: Follow the boss's icon to track it when you're struggling to find it. You can identify the boss icons by checking their respective wiki pages.
- Once you have freed the Dungeon, you can use to enhance your arena with and helpful and . The former help to damage the enemies, though be careful to set them up correctly in order not to hurt yourself during the battle. The latter will spawn heart and star pickups, respectively. Connect these devices to . in the
- It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu before summoning any harder boss in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of hearts.
- Remember to use the , , and before you go to explore or battle Bosses / Invasions. These will give class-specific boosts that are useful to take. They respectively give , , and .
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
Due to the fact this boss can't pass through blocks, there are some arena options:
- The player can add traps to this pit, which would make the fight even easier or:
- A flat area with small room below it with Platforms as roof for the player. King Slime can't enter small rooms and thus can't touch the players in this room.
- An arena made up of platforms and Ropes for both horizontal and vertical movement would help.
- Make a small 2*4 pit cover the top with wooden platforms and shoot upwards.
Gearing Up[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
Armor is not very important in this fight. However, it is recommended to have at least Cactus Armor, as it is very easy to obtain and provides a relatively good amount of defense.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
Most weapons can be used to fight this boss without difficulties, except Shortswords. Piercing weapons may be preferred, to hit both the blue slimes and the king slime himself.
However, melee users may have trouble fighting the boss due to the knockback immunity, unlike ranged users which can stay in an unreachable place without getting hit. Recommendations:
- Gold/Platinum Broadsword or better.
- Any Bow with piercing arrows such as Unholy Arrow or Jester's Arrow.
- Any kind of Guns, Spears, or Flails.
- Vilethorn, this weapon hits through blocks and pierces infinitely until the duration ends and therefore very good for fighting King Slime.
- Crimson Rod, if using a small enough pit, the king slime will stay in one spot and this weapon can do a lot of damage.
- Any weapon that can go in one direction, such as a Gem Staff.
- Using Grenades can deal a lot of damage to the King Slime. The only issue would be dodging your own grenades, as they can deal damage to you as well even if you're the one who threw it.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
Like weapons, most accessories can help:
- Hermes Boots, Flurry Boots, or Panic Necklace can help avoiding damage or running away in bad situations.
- Cloud in a Bottle, Blizzard in a Bottle, Sandstorm in a bottle, and/or Rocket Boots can also help with vertical movements.
- If you have defeated the Eye of Cthulhu in Expert Mode, the Shield of Cthulhu can be useful both in damaging the King Slime and minions, and making a quick escape.
- A Band of Regeneration can be useful to increase rate of regeneration while avoiding being damaged by King Slime
Potions[edit | edit source]
- Ironskin Potion can help reducing the damage received even further.
- Regeneration Potion
- Any food that grants Well Fed buff.
- Swiftness potion, so you can evade the teleports and run under the jumps if needed.
Specific Strategies[edit | edit source]
No teleports Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Build a one-block thick wall 18-20 blocks high;
- Create a walkway between 35-50 blocks long with platforms for maneuverability;
- Make sure a is nearby.
- Use any long-range weapons (Yo-yos, Bows, Gemstaves or Throwing weapons).
Rope Strategy[edit | edit source]
An easy way to defeat King Slime is to do this:
- Make a rope around 20-30 blocks high from the ground
- Use any weapon that has range (bows, staves, shurikens, grenades etc.)
- Climb up to the rope, and shoot King Slime.
This way, you are practically invincible from him, as he cannot jump to you, and there is no surface for him to teleport on. Be careful if doing this strategy during Slime Rain, since a slime can fall from the sky and knock you off the rope.
Lava pit Strategy[edit | edit source]
Because the King Slime can be harmed by Lava, a good strategy is to use ato make a long strip of land with a small amount of lava (shallow enough so items don't burn) and then make some widely placed platforms. You can jump, use rocket boots, or use a grappling hook to move between platforms. Just be careful to not jump in the lava if you don't plan to use . This strategy works with his teleports, and the minions will all die from falling in the lava. You don't have to focus on fighting, because the lava will dish out major damage. You can also skip the platforms, and use a Obsidian Skin Potion, and just evade by running under the slime, or using the Boots to fly over.
Minecart Strategy[edit | edit source]
Another strategy is to make something that will help you later, a long Minecart rail path. If you go high enough, he will not be able to teleport or jump on you. His attacks relies for you to be on the ground. To the AI it seems that you are on the ground, so he just stands under you and occasionally jumps, making him an easy target.