Guide:Lunatic Cultist strategies
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
The Lunatic Cultist is a post-Golem boss. Defeating him will summon the Celestial Towers. While his small health bar means he'll be taken out quite quickly, his attacks can be damaging and hard to dodge.
|AI Type||Lunatic Cultist AI|
|Damage||50 / 75 (melee)|
36 / 72 (shadow fireball)
70 / 100 (ice mist)
60 / 80 (fireball)
90 / 120 (lightning orb)
120 / 160 (Ancient Light)
30 / 45 (Ancient Doom)
|Max Life||32000 / 40000|
|Debuff duration||1 - 2 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
|Immune to||All debuffs|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 439
Summoning[edit | edit source]
He spawns after the 4 other Cultists are slain. The Lunatic Cultist will be invincible when he first spawns. After he moves away from his spawn point, you can begin to deal damage to him.
Attack Pattern[edit | edit source]
After moving away from his spawn point, the Lunatic Cultist will begin to cycle through three attacks:
- A rotating ball of ice that fires six shards at equal intervals before disappearing
- Three homing fireballs that explode on impact
- A stationary orb similar to the Magnet Sphere that summons streaks of lightning in a straight line.
Once the Lunatic Cultist is damaged enough, he adds a fourth attack, which summons in two spreads of five destroyable Ancient Light projectiles. In Expert Mode, the Cultist may also spawn Ancient Dooms that fire purple projectiles in a cross shape.
After performing 4 to 5 of his attacks, the Cultist will spawn in duplicates of himself that remain stationary. If one of these duplicates is damaged (or after a certain amount of time without damaging any one of them), a Phantasm Dragon will spawn, or an Ancient Vision if a Phantasm Dragon is already present. Two duplicates will also start attacking besides him, occasionally shooting a projectile. If the real Lunatic Cultist is damaged, neither of these two powerful minions will spawn in. The amount of duplicates the Lunatic Cultist spawns in increases, the more clones you hit. It is recommended to fight the Cultist at night, as the fake cultists will glow.
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
General tips[edit | edit source]
- Starting the battle as soon as the sun sets (at 7:30 p.m.) will provide the maximum amount of time to defeat nocturnal bosses.
- Prepare your Boss-fighting arena with adequate lighting, and for health regeneration, and for mana regeneration if you use magic.
- provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Always carry at least one stack of the highest-tier healing potion available (Health Regeneration is not a good idea.
, , , or ). Relying only on natural
- The same goes for , , , or , if you use Magic.
- It is suggested to build houses for the thorns-like effect, while the latter can heal and remove debuffs instantly, at the cost of some . and the NPCs in your arena. The former casts the buff, which increases your defense and provides you with a
- Bosses are displayed on the Minimap: Follow the boss's icon to track it when you're struggling to find it. You can identify the boss icons by checking their respective wiki pages.
- Once you have freed the Dungeon, you can use to enhance your arena with and helpful and . The former help to damage the enemies, though be careful to set them up correctly in order not to hurt yourself during the battle. The latter will spawn heart and star pickups, respectively. Connect these devices to . in the
- It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu before summoning any harder boss in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of hearts.
- Remember to use the , , , and before you go to explore or battle Bosses / Invasions. These will give class-specific boosts that are useful to take. They respectively give , , , and .
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
A basic arena with some rows of platforms will suffice. If the player made an arena for Skeletron, they can reuse it here.
Gearing up[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
- For Melee characters, the is the best available. The is better for offensive bonuses, while the is better for those that can avoid taking hits frequently.
- For Ranged characters, the is the strongest available.
- The is the strongest for a Mage. The should be used only when at low health to maximize damage output.
- A Summoner should summon their minions while wearing and then equip for an extra, although weaker minion and slightly higher defense.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
For Melee users:
- is a very strong choice with its homing, high damaging projectiles.
- The is an even stronger choice with its higher DPS. The is a weaker alternative.
- Phantasm Dragon he summons. , deals high damage and will help with taking out the Lunatic Cultist and the
- Also, you can use , due to their healing effect. But due to the low damage output, a different weapon should be used when not at low health.
- has high damage and low use time, as well as homing projectiles.
For Ranged users:
- The or with s deal are both very strong guns. The
- The is very useful with its homing high damaging projectiles. It is also very useful for quickly taking out the Phantasm Dragon, as its explosive projectiles hit many segments at once.
- The with s is the strongest bow available.
- Using the will help as it deals continuous damage to the Cultist and prevents him from summoning minions.
For Magic users:
- The is always a strong weapon.
- The has extremely high DPS when up close. The , or the are weaker, but more accurate alternatives.
- will do a lot of damage, and can be used in combination with other weapons.
- The , and the should be used with caution, as their stationary attacks could accidentally damage a duplicate of the Cultist, causing the Phantasm Dragon or Ancient Vision to spawn in.
- The , the , the and the are good choices. However, the deadly spheres and ravens deal contact damage and may accidentally provoke the Phantasm Dragon or Ancient Vision into spawning.
- The will also deal pretty good damage.
- Wings are important for every boss fight. The best ones available are the
- The makes all wings significantly faster, making dodging his attacks easier.
- The greatly helps in dodging the attacks and is recommended for all classes.
- The is extremely useful for melee characters with Yoyos as it can double their damage output.
- The and/or the are always good to have.
- Other damage increasing accessories include every other Emblem, the , the and the .
- For magic users, the can help regenerate mana.
- The Phantasm Dragon. or can help when battling the
- The reduces the Potion Sickness cooldown as well as providing some extra health regeneration. For the Philosopher's Stone's effect to apply, it only needs to be equipped the instant a Healing Potion is drunk.
At this point in the game, it is almost required to have all accessories on Lucky, Menacing or Warding.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- , , , and will greatly increase survivability.
- Any food item that provides the buff is good.
- is a must for mages.
- will increase mobility.
and will improve DPS.
- , , or and will further improve it for Mages, Rangers, Melee, and Summoner users respectively.