Guide:Martian Madness strategies
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
The Martian Madness is a post-Golem invasion that can be done anytime after beating it. The event rewards the player with very powerful items dropped from its exclusive boss, the Martian Saucer. However, due to the great amount of powerful Martians that spawn the event can prove to be extremely difficult if attempted without preparation.
Event[edit | edit source]
|AI Type||Rider AI|
|Damage||50 / 100 (melee)|
140 / 200 (deathray)
300 / 450 (deathray berserk)
60 / 100 (flames)
|Max Life||27,000 / 54,000 (all parts)|
|Immune to||All debuffs|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 392
The invasion will only happen when the Player finds a Space. The Martians will then spawn in areas close to friendly NPCs.in the wild and lets it escape into
During the invasion, all of the following enemies will spawn:
- , the basic enemy of the event. Despite its simple appearance, it is one of the most dangerous martians due to its very very high health and total immunity to knockback.
, who behave similarly, but with lower stats and the ability to shoot lasers from their gun.
- Occasionally, it will spawn riding on a , becoming a Scutlix Gunner. The Scutilx moves very fast, deals high contact damage and its rider will shoot lasers, making this a deadly enemy. The Scutlix Gunner has a low chance to drop the , which allows the player to ride a Scutlix of their own.
- are a very fast enemy that can quickly shoot lasers, have a lot of health and are immune to knockback. Despite these attributes, their size and very low jumps which makes them prone to get stuck on simple obstacles.
- are small enemies with low damage and health. They will lock on to a player, and then quickly charge towards them before exploding.
- behave like Gray Grunts, with lower stats and the ability to inflict the debuff on hit, which causes a player to rapidly lose health when moving.
- have low stats but instead of attacking, they can deploy , which shoot an electric projectile at the player, which inflicts the Electrified debuff. The Engineers should be killed quickly, as they can easily overwhelm a player with Turrets.
- spawn protected by a Bubble Shield, which will need to be killed before the player can harm it. If the Officer isn't killed quickly after the Bubble Shield is destroyed, it will activate again.
- are similar to Ray Gunners, with their projectile inflicting the debuff on hit.
- The Martian Saucer is the boss of the event. It will alternate between firing lasers from its turrets at the player's position, shooting homing missiles from its Cannons, and then following the player while attacking with its Deathray. Players must destroy the Turrets and Cannon first, as its core can't be damaged. After these have been destroyed, the player will be able to damage its Core, and it will move more aggressively than before, and will only use the Deathray, which also does much more damage. When killed, it will drop a unique weapon or item.
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
General Tips[edit | edit source]
- Starting the battle just after the sun sets (7:30 PM) will provide the maximum amount of time to defeat nocturnal bosses. (Do pause a moment to make sure the night won't be a Blood Moon, or feature another boss spawning.) In Hardmode, the and/or are also useful at night.
- Prepare your Boss-fighting arena with adequate lighting, and for health regeneration, and for mana regeneration if you use magic.
- provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Always carry at least one stack of the highest-tier healing potion available (Health Regeneration is not a good idea.
, , , or ). Relying only on natural
- The same goes for , , , or , if you use Magic. The could also be used.
- It is suggested to build houses for the thorns-like effect, while the latter can heal and remove debuffs instantly, at the cost of some . and the NPCs in your arena. The former casts the buff, which increases your defense and provides you with a
- Bosses are displayed on the Minimap: Follow the boss's icon to track it when you're struggling to find it. You can identify the boss icons by checking their respective wiki pages.
- Once you have freed the Dungeon, you can use to enhance your arena with and helpful and . The former help to damage the enemies, though be careful to set them up correctly in order not to hurt yourself during the battle. The latter will spawn heart and star pickups, respectively. Connect these devices to . in the
- It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu or King Slime before summoning any harder boss in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of hearts.
- Remember to use the , , , and before you go to explore or battle bosses/invasions. These will give class-specific boosts that are useful to take. They give , , , and , respectively.
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
The great amount of enemies with high stats and/or projectiles makes it very hard to survive the invasion in the open. The event is better fought around your base, where the martians will be much less likely to overwhelm you with projectiles. Make sure to protect your NPCs however, as the enemies will easily kill them.
Like many other invasions, all enemies completely lack the ability to attack through blocks, as only explosions from the Martian Drone and Martian Saucer have the ability to do so. This can be exploited by safely killing the enemies inside a tall box above the ground. Additionally, a Pit with a shallow layer of Lava and Traps can be built to trap the Martians and kill them safely. Using Summon weapons you can safely and quickly beat the Martian Saucer from inside the box. Recomended weapons are the , and . If you manage to have a Xeno Staff drop you can use that for the rest of the fight.
Gearing Up[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
- For Melee characters, the is the best available. The is better for offensive bonuses, while the is better for those that can’t avoid taking hits frequently.
- For Ranged characters, the is the strongest available.
- The is the strongest for a Mage. The should be used only when at low health to maximize damage output.
- A Summoner should summon their minions while wearing and then equip for an extra, although weaker minion and slightly higher defense.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- For Melee users
- The or are both very good all around swords. If the Old One's Army has been defeated, the is excellent against crowds.
- The is very useful for crowd control, and useful against the first phase of the Martian Saucer. The makes a good combination with it, as it can deal with single targets and the second phase of the Saucer.
- The is very powerful due to its many high damaging bubbles.
- is the strongest yoyo. It can be used to safely kill the Saucer from an enclosed area.
- The are a strong weapon with lifesteal capabilities.
- The has low damage, but many homing projectiles.
- The can pass through blocks. It is useful if the player has trouble dodging enemy attacks.
- For Ranged users
- The is the strongest gun available, while the is an acceptable alternative. are the strongest for damage, while are better against the second phase of the Saucer.
- The is good against crowds and a decent choice against the Saucer.
- The with is the strongest bow. The is an acceptable alternative. The can be used to safely kill the Saucer from a safe spot.
- The is excellent for the event due to its homing rockets with big explosions.
- The can easily kill enemies while standing in an enclosed area.
- For Magic users
- The is the strongest weapon against single targets. The and are weaker but still effective.
- The deals high amounts of damage and covers a wide area. It can also be used to safely kill the Saucer from an enclosed area.
- The is an excellent weapon against both crowds and the Saucer.
- The , and are all great secondary weapons.
- For Summoners
- The , and are the strongest minions available.
- The is a useful sentry to have.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
- Any pair of Wings, such as
or are all useful for mobility.
- The makes all Wings ascend significantly faster.
- The will help greatly in dodging attacks.
- A or gives very welcomed increases to all stats, most notably damage and health regeneration.
- Damage boosting accessories such as the , , or are all very good.
- The Philosopher's Stone effect to work, it only needs to be equipped the instant a potion is drunk. reduces the length of the debuff by 1/4 (15 seconds) as well as giving a small life regeneration increase. For the