|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
|AI Type||Plantera AI|
|Damage||50 / 114 (melee)|
44 / 76 (Seed)
54 / 96 (green Poison Seed)
62 / 108 (Thorn Ball)
120 (Thorn Ball)
|Max Life||30000 / 42000|
|Debuff duration||3 - 7 seconds / 2 - 9 seconds|
(green Poison Seed)
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
- Internal NPC ID: 262
|AI Type||Plantera AI|
|Damage||70 / 140 |
|Max Life||15000/30000 |
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- + 50-149
20-49 ) (
- + 50-149
- Internal NPC ID: 262
|AI Type||Plantera's Hook AI|
|Damage||60 / 120|
|Max Life||4000 / 8000|
|KB Resist||0% / 10%|
- Internal NPC ID: 263
|AI Type||Plantera's Tentacle AI|
|Damage||60 / 120|
|Max Life||1000 / 2000|
|KB Resist||0% / 10%|
- Internal NPC ID: 264
Spawn Condition[edit | edit source]
Plantera can only be spawned by breaking awith a Pickaxe or a Drill.
She must then be killed within the Underground Jungle, otherwise she will enrage.
The Fight[edit | edit source]
Plantera will attempt to chase after the player, always trying to make her main bulb overlap the player's space. She moves fairly slowly when compared to a player with speed-boosting equipment. This means a player in a large enough arena can easily keep a distance, assuming they just keep moving. As such, a good arena can make the fight much easier. The second stage begins when Plantera reaches 50% remaining health. The pink petals fall off to reveal a ferocious green maw and Plantera's speed is greatly increased.
Currently, Plantera will enrage and gain more defense, attack more frequently and deal massive amounts of contact and ranged damage if the player leaves the Underground Jungle (including to go to the surface), so surface-level arena strategies are impractical. One exception is taking advantage of Plantera's need to "grapple" to move by building a large enough space that Plantera cannot grapple up after you, and then firing down upon her. However, Plantera can grapple onto background walls, and since they extend down to the underworld, you would have to clear them out first.
The player will want to focus on dodging attacks while shooting constantly at Plantera. Once Plantera reaches her second form, the player should be very wary and try to avoid Plantera's lunges.
Ranged characters should try to kill tentacles as soon as they appear. Due to the generally low defense of Ranger sets, getting caught by tentacles often will kill the player very quickly.
Attack types[edit | edit source]
|Seeds||Phase 1||Frequently spits projectiles similar to stingers fired from Hornets. Can be easily avoided if the player hides behind blocks.|
|Thorn Balls||Thorn Balls are similar to the Spiky Balls. They linger on the ground for a significant amount of time and deal about 50 damage. They fall through platforms. They are however also incredibly bouncy and can easily reach players some height in the air. On Mobile, take caution of these as they do massive damage.|
|Hooks||Phases 1 and 2||Plantera uses three vines to move, resembling larger versions of the Ivy Whip. The ends of these vines deal damage if the player touches them.|
|Biters||Phase 2||Once Plantera begins the second stage she will sprout a large number of small gnawing minions on "leashes". They simply wave themselves around at the end of their leash and get in the way of the player's attacks, making piercing weapons more valuable. They are fairly strong, but easily killed.|
|Spores||Phase 2||Frequently spits projectiles similar to the Fungi Spores fired by the Giant Fungi Bulb. Easily destroyed, but deals high damage if you get hit.|
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
General Tips[edit | edit source]
- Starting the battle as soon as the sun sets (at 7:30 p.m.) will provide the maximum amount of time to defeat nocturnal bosses.
- Prepare your Boss-fighting arena with adequate lighting, and for health regeneration, and for mana regeneration if you use magic.
- provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Always carry at least one stack of the highest-tier healing potion available (Health Regeneration is not a good idea.
, , , or ). Relying only on natural
- The same goes for , , , or , if you use Magic.
- It is suggested to build houses for the thorns-like effect, while the latter can heal and remove debuffs instantly, at the cost of some . and the NPCs in your arena. The former casts the buff, which increases your defense and provides you with a
- Bosses are displayed on the Minimap: Follow the boss's icon to track it when you're struggling to find it. You can identify the boss icons by checking their respective wiki pages.
- Once you have freed the Dungeon, you can use to enhance your arena with and helpful and . The former help to damage the enemies, though be careful to set them up correctly in order not to hurt yourself during the battle. The latter will spawn heart and star pickups, respectively. Connect these devices to . in the
- It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu before summoning any harder boss in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of hearts.
- Remember to use the , , , and before you go to explore or battle Bosses / Invasions. These will give class-specific boosts that are useful to take. They respectively give , , , and .
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
The actual shape of your arena depends on how you want to fight. For a player who wants to have plenty of evasive space, excavating around a screen's worth of space inside the Underground Jungle and filling it with rows of Platforms can work well. For more aggressive players, a smaller space excavated right next to a bulb can work too. Others will just use a stack of bombs to excavate a large area for flying and grappling. Plantera's spike balls do significant damage and are used frequently during Plantera's first phase, however, they can only bounce off solid surfaces. If you do not mind taking the extra time, consider digging a hole at least 2 times deeper than you would use for the fight and stick to the top half of your arena, without the added threat of Plantera's spike balls, she is much easier to defeat.
Make sure the arena is not too big, as taking out too many Mud blocks might turn the Underground Jungle into just regular caverns, enraging Plantera and making the fight much more difficult.
Bring a Hammer to remove the jungle walls so that in Plantera's second phase, the hooks can only grapple on to the blocks so she cannot reach you with her hooks, and thus you will not take damage from them.
Gearing up[edit | edit source]
It is recommended to increase your maximum life to 500 before trying to tackle Plantera and later challenges after her defeat.are very common if many days have passed after defeating one of the Mechanical bosses.
Armor[edit | edit source]
- At minimum, players should use the with the helmet to suit your class.
- is the strongest available; providing very strong DPS upgrades and having very good defense. Its set bonus adds extra damage.
- is still a very good choice because of the set bonus and acceptable stat bonuses.
- Melee players can also use , providing slightly more defense but losing a significant amount of damage bonuses compared to Chlorophyte. They can also use or with their respective sentries.
- is still the only choice for summoners.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- For Melee users
- The is one of the best choices for melee.
- The Yoyo Bag. is very useful, as it can rip through her first phase very quickly, especially with a
- The is a good choice for high damage.
- Spears are very effective. The two best spears are the , because is shoots out Spore Clouds, and the because it shoots out deathly glowing mushrooms.
- and the are good choices as well.
- With enough attack speed upgrades, the can beat her in a matter of seconds.
- For Ranged users
- The or are the best guns available. When used with , they can deal massive damage.
- A , with or can be used to great effect.
- You can excavate a tall arena and use a paired with Holy Arrows, which will be great against Plantera.
- will freeze Plantera, making the fight incredibly easy.
- The paired with or can be deadly against Plantera.
- For Magic users
- The and are solid weapons against Plantera.
- Using the every so often can prove to be very helpful as it inflicts the , increasing your damage output even more.
- The is always useful (even for non-magic users). It can deal continuous damage which can greatly help the fight, especially in vertical arenas.
- , or can be used for rapid attacking.
- The Shadowflame Hex Doll can also be effective.
- If your arena is dug out low enough, the 's rapid targeted damage is very effective.
- For Summoners
- It is recommended to summon the .
- If you completed Old One's Army at least once, you can also summon a free Sentry. It is recommended to either use any Tier 2 sentries that the Tavernkeep sells, or simply the if you did not complete Old One's Army.
- If using Spider armor with the Bewitching Table's and Summoning Potion's buffs, the total minion count will be 6. This allows summoning 8 , since these only count for .75 of a minion.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- Ironskin Regeneration, Endurance, and Lifeforce Potions will help you survive much longer.
- Anything that gives the Well Fed buff is welcomed help.
- Wrath and Rage Potions give very welcomed damage upgrades.
- Ales and Flasks of Ichor are very effective for Melee users.
- Likewise with Archery Potions, for Rangers who choose to use arrows.
- Mana Regeneration and Magic Power Potions are a must have for Magic users.
- Summoning Potions are very useful for summoners.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
- will allow you to dodge Plantera's attacks.
- Damage can be greatly boosted through combat accessories such as any Emblem or the .
- Melee users who choose to use swords can use the to greatly increase their damage and attack speed. It can also be combined with the for an even larger increase. Note that the latter should not be used by itself due to its slightly lower stats.
- The will significantly increase a Yoyo's DPS and range.
- The Potion Sickness debuff time from one minute to 45 seconds. can be used for increased regen and the reduction of the
- As with most bosses, the / can be used to extend the invulnerability period after being attacked, allowing you to take less damage.
- The Expert-exclusive or the can reduce all damage taken.
- The Poisoned debuff, as well as preventing the Biters from knocking the player into Plantera. will prevent the
Specific Strategies[edit | edit source]
The Teleportation Trick[edit | edit source]
Make a long hallway, and place a Teleporter on each end.
Boomerang-type weapons can fly indefinitely when using a teleportation trick. Before the boomerang returns, the player can teleport to the other end of the hall, and the boomerang will change directions and pierce enemies along the way.
Note that if the hallway is too long, Plantera will despawn. This was observed in a hallway as small as 200 tiles. If you use the mobile edition, you should make the hallway around 125-150 tiles long, as Plantera will despawn within a shorter range of the player.