|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
|AI Type||Plantera AI|
|Damage||50 / 114 (melee)|
44 / 76 (seed)
54 / 96 (poison seed)
62 / 108 (thorn ball)
62 (thorn ball)
120 (thorn ball)
|Max Life||30000 / 42000|
|Debuff duration||3 - 7 seconds / 2 - 9 seconds|
(Green Seed attack)
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
- Internal NPC ID: 262
|AI Type||Plantera AI|
|Damage||70 / 140 |
|Max Life||15000/30000 |
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- + 50-149
20-49 ) (
- + 50-149
- Internal NPC ID: 262
- 1 Spawn Condition
- 2 The Fight
- 3 General Strategies
- 4 Specific Strategies
Spawn Condition[edit | edit source]
Plantera can only be spawned by breakingwith a Pickaxe or a Drill.
It must then be killed within the Underground Jungle, otherwise it will enrage.
The Fight[edit | edit source]
Plantera will attempt to chase after the player, always trying to make its main bulb overlap the player's space. It moves fairly slowly when compared to a player with speed-boosting equipment. This means a player in a large enough arena can easily keep a distance, assuming they just keep moving. As such, a good arena can make the fight much easier. The second stage begins when Plantera reaches 50% remaining health. The pink petals fall off to reveal a ferocious green maw and Plantera's speed is greatly increased.
Currently, Plantera will enrage and gain more defense, attack more frequently and deals massive amounts of contact and ranged damage if the player leaves the Underground Jungle (including to go to the surface), so surface-level arena strategies are impractical. One exception is taking advantage of Plantera's need to "grapple" to move by building a large enough space that Plantera cannot grapple up after you, and then firing down upon it. However, Plantera can grapple onto backgrounds, and since they go until reaching the underworld, you would have to clear them out first.
The player will want to focus on dodging attacks while shooting constantly at Plantera. Once Plantera reaches its second form, the player should be very wary and try to avoid Plantera's lunges.
Ranged characters would also try to kill tentacles as soon as they appear. Due to the generally low defense of ranger's sets, getting caught by them often will kill the player really fast.
Attack types[edit | edit source]
|Seeds||Phase 1||Frequently spits projectiles similar to stingers fired from Hornets. Easily can be avoided if the player hides behind blocks.|
|Thorn Balls||Thorn Balls are similar to the Spiky Balls. They linger on the ground for a significant amount of time and deal about 50 damage. They fall through platforms. They are however also incredibly bouncy and can easily reach players some height in the air. On Mobile, take caution of these as they do massive damage.|
|Hooks||Phases 1 and 2||Plantera uses three vines to move, apparently larger versions of the Ivy Whip. The ends of these vines deal damage if the player touches them.|
|Biters||Phase 2||Once Plantera begins the second stage it will sprout a large number of small gnawing minions on "leashes". They simply wave themselves around at the end of their leash and get in the way of the player's attacks, making piercing weapons more valuable. They are fairly strong, but easily killed.|
|Spores||Phase 2||Frequently spits projectiles similar to the Fungi Spores fired by the Giant Fungi Bulb. Easily destroyed, but deals high damage if you get hit.|
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
General Tips[edit | edit source]
- Starting the battle as soon as the sun sets (at 7:30 p.m.) will provide the maximum amount of time to defeat nocturnal bosses.
- Prepare your Boss-fighting arena with adequate lighting, and for health regeneration, and for mana regeneration if you use magic.
- provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Always bring with you at least one stack of Health Regeneration is not a good idea.
, , , or before doing anything: relying only on natural
- The same goes for , , , or , if you use Magic.
- It is suggested to build houses for the thorns-like effect, while the latter can heal and remove debuffs instantly, at the cost of some . and the NPCs in your arena. The former casts the buff, which increases your defense and provides you with a
- Bosses are displayed on the Minimap: Follow the boss's icon to track it when you're struggling to find it. You can identify the boss icons by checking their respective wiki pages.
- Once you have freed the Dungeon, you can use to enhance your arena with and helpful and . The former help to damage the enemies, though be careful to set them up correctly in order not to hurt yourself during the battle. The latter will spawn heart and star pickups, respectively. Connect these devices to . in the
- It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu before summoning any harder boss in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of hearts.
- Remember to use the , , , and before you go to explore or battle Bosses / Invasions. These will give class-specific boosts that are useful to take. They respectively give , , , and .
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
The actual shape of your arena depends on how you want to fight. For a player who wants to have plenty of evasive space, excavating around a screen's worth of space inside the Underground Jungle and filling it with rows of Platforms can work well. For more aggressive players, a smaller space excavated right next to a bulb can work too. Others will just use a stack of bombs to excavate a large area for flying and grappling. Plantera's spike balls do some significant damage and are used frequently during Plantera's first phase, however, they can only bounce off solid surfaces. If you don't mind taking the extra time, consider digging a hole at least 2 times deeper than you would use for the fight and stick to the top half of your arena, without the added threat of Plantera's spike balls, it is much easier to defeat.
Make sure the arena isn't too big, as taking out too many mud blocks might turn the Underground Jungle into just regular caverns, enraging Plantera and making the fight much harder.
Bring a Hammer to remove the jungle walls so that in Plantera's second phase, the hooks can only grapple on to the blocks so it cannot grab you with its hooks, and thus you do not take damage from them.
Gearing up[edit | edit source]
It's recommended to increase your Maximum life to 500 before trying to tackle Plantera and later challenges after its defeat.are very common if many days passed after defeating one of the Mechanical bosses.
Armor[edit | edit source]
Players should at least use Hallowed armor with the helmet to suit their class.
Chlorophyte armor is the strongest available; providing very strong DPS upgrades and having very acceptable defense. The set bonus can also deal some nice extra damage.
Titanium armor is still a very strong choice because of its set bonus and acceptable DPS.
Melee players also have the ability to use Turtle armor, providing slightly more defense but losing a lot of damage compared to Chlorophyte. They also have the ability to use Squire or Monk armors with their respective sentries.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
For Melee users:
- The is one of the best choices for melee.
- The yoyo bag. is very useful, as it can rip through its first phase very quickly, especially with a
- The is a good choice for high damage.
- Spears are very effective. The two best spears are the , because is shoots out Spore Clouds, and the is also good because it shoots out deathly glowing mushrooms.
- Shadowflame Knife are good choices as well. and the
- The are extremely effective with the right setup (see below).
For Ranged users:
- The , due to its high damage and almost hitscan projectile speed, is a popular choice.
is also a very strong choice with roughly the same dps.
- It's recommended to use them with or .
- A , with or can be used to great effect.
- You can excavate a tall arena and use a paired with Holy Arrows, which will be great against Plantera.
- If you play on Mobile and during Valentine's Day, will freeze Plantera, making the fight incredibly easy.
- The paired with or can be deadly against Plantera.
For Magic users:
- The and are good weapons against Plantera.
- Using the every so often can prove to be very helpful as it inflicts the , increasing your damage input even more.
- The is always useful (even for non-magic users). It can deal continuous damage which can greatly help the fight, especially in vertical arenas.
- , or can be used for rapid attacking.
- The Shadowflame Hex Doll can also be effective.
- If your arena is dug out low enough, the 's rapid targeted damage is very effective.
- It's recommended to summon the .
- If you completed Old One's Army at least once, you can also summon a free Sentry. It's recommended to either use any Tier 2 sentries that the Tavernkeep sells, or simply the if you didn't complete Old One's Army.
- If using Spider armor, apart from bringing the total minion count (with Bewitching Table and Summoning Potion) to 6, if the player chooses to use the , they will be granted an additional minion due to the fact Spiders only count for .75 of a minion.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- Ironskin, Regeneration Potions, Endurance and Lifeforce Potions will help you survive much longer.
- Anything that gives the Well Fed buff is welcomed help.
- Wrath and Rage potions give very welcomed damage upgrades.
- Ales and Ichor flasks are very effective for Melee users.
- Likewise with Archery potions and Rangers who choose to use arrows.
- Mana Regeneration and Magic power potions are a must have for magic users.
- Summoning potions are very useful for summoners.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
- will allow you to dodge Plantera's attacks.
- Damage can be greatly boosted through combat accessories such as the Warrior, Ranger, Sorcerer, Summoner, Avenger, and Celestial Emblems. A Moon Stone is also useful.
- Melee users who choose to use swords can use the Mechanical Glove to greatly increase their damage and attack speed. It can also be combined with the Fire Gauntlet for an even bigger increase. Note that the latter shouldn't be used by itself due to its slightly lower stats.
- The Yoyo Bag will significantly increase a Yoyo's DPS and range.
- The Charm of Myths can be used for increased regen and the reduction of the Potion Sickness debuff time from one minute to 45 seconds.
- As with most bosses, the Cross Necklace/Star Veil can be used to extend the invulnerability period after being attacked, allowing you to take less damage.
- The Expert exclusive Worm Scarf or the Frozen Turtle Shell can reduce the damage taken.
- The Ankh Shield will prevent the Poisoned Debuff, as well as preventing the Biters from knocking the player into Plantera.
Specific Strategies[edit | edit source]
The Teleportation Trick[edit | edit source]
Make a long hallway (preferably longer than 150 tiles, but still shorter than 250 due to the bug pictured below, because of Plantera's movement speed in the second phase) out of any material you desire, and place a Teleporter on each end, and wire them together. Test it first. Then, summon Plantera. This strategy works out with Frost armor or Hallowed armor, a Megashark with Crystal Bullets, with the ironskin, regeneration, well fed and thorns buff. Using a Flamethrower is not recommended since it has a short range compared to other guns, and it won't be much of a help against the biters since the Crystal Bullets will already take care of them. Ichor Bullets are also a good idea, as they reduce defense, therefore doing more damage.
When it's climbing down toward you on one side, flip the trigger used to activate Teleporter. You will teleport to the other side, and Plantera will have to climb back at you. It is even possible to combine the Teleporters with a Timer to remove the need to activate a trigger or with a Pressure Plate, which will only require the player to jump for teleporting.
Boomerang-type weapons can fly indefinitely when using a teleportation trick. Before the boomerang returns, the player can teleport to the other end of the hall, and the boomerang will change directions and pierce enemies along the way.
Note that if the hallway is too long, Plantera will despawn. This was observed in a hallway as small as 200 tiles. If you use the mobile edition, you should make the hallway around 125-150 tiles long, as Plantera will despawn within a shorter range of the player. Also, note that you will need to use a Cobalt Shield to prevent being knocked off the teleporters and a Bezoar to keep from being poisoned by Plantera's poison seed attack.
Another method similar to the teleportation trick with ranged weapons is to use light discs and a flask of cursed flames which will cause Plantera to obtain the cursed fire debuff, which, unlike many bosses, it is not immune to. It's best to use a whole stack of 5 light discs and pressure plates on top of the teleporters. Build walls next to each teleporter, but only on the sides that face the inside of the tunnel. Then summon Plantera and throw the light discs, then jump to teleport to the other side of the unnel. Wait for the discs to come back to you, then teleport again. Repeat this until Plantera is defeated. If you have a set, Chlorophyte armor with a chlorophyte mask or Turtle armor will help quite a lot. Any minions will only help. Make sure to have some greater healing potions. Ironskin potions will also help. Remember that light discs are melee weapons. Even though light discs do not normally travel through blocks, they will go through the walls you made when you teleport. These walls will effectively protect from Plantera's thorn balls and seeds, and if you make sure you never let Plantera get too close to you, the only attack it has that could damage you is her hooks latching onto the walls you made, however, they should move off the blocks should they latch on at any time during the battle.
Using a Dart Pistol or Rifle with Crystal Darts may also be effective for this method.
Ring Around the Rosey method[edit | edit source]
It is little known that Plantera's AI can be manipulated to be trapped inside of a block for the first stage as the player flies around it. First, a standard arena must be built (15-20 tiles high and about 50 tiles long) then, around the middle, a floating 7x7 block must be built, leaving room for the player to fly around it while just being able to shoot Plantera (preferably with a Terra Blade or Flamethrower), this will take it into second stage often without taking any hits. The second stage gets a little more intense. This means that the block idea could be discarded for the remainder of the fight unless the player feels confident enough to keep Plantera inside.
Magical Harp method[edit | edit source]
This method is simple but needs strong armor, and a friend. Create two small boxes (preferably 6x6), and add teleporters to each and wire them up. Add a trigger, and you are done. Summon Plantera, get into one of the boxes, and use your Magical Harp inside the box. The projectiles will damage Plantera, and if you feel overwhelmed, teleport to the other box, and keep going. This strategy does not require many preparations, but this requires at least Chlorophyte armor. So, this is a good way to kill Plantera if you have good armor, good skills, and a good friend to help you.
Spawn Point Method[edit | edit source]
This method only works on the Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and . Simply build a house in the underground Jungle, set your spawn point and destroy the bulb. Run into the house and wait next to the bed, being careful not to let Plantera despawn. Equip an auto-swinging versionssword. Recommendations are Excalibur, Cutlass or a well reforged Chlorophyte Saber. If you are killed you will respawn in the house where Plantera is. Let Plantera sit on top of you while you slash it with the sword. This will make Plantera farming relatively easy. This method may not work on mobile every time due to the smaller screen. On the , the player runs a risk of everything including versionPlantera as every enemy despawns if all players die. Another tactic is to lure plantera towards your spawn point and continue from there how ever this will take a long time since she will be enraged. This tactic may also work on Console version but this is unconfirmed.
Fetid Baghnakh Method[edit | edit source]
"Legendary" modifier Fetid Baghnakhs are very effective if you attempt to kill Plantera with a melee approach. This will defeat Plantera within 30-45 seconds. Plantera can be defeated easily even with Hallowed armor with this method, however, to ensure you stay alive, it is a wise choice to use Titanium armor or Turtle armor, a Cross Necklace, and other "Warding" modifier (+4 Defense) accessories. Stacking further attack speed to 51% from accessories and armor by using full Hallowed armor, Mechanical Glove and a Fire Gauntlet (any modifiers) will speed up the fight even further, attacking so fast each swing is cut short, making short enemies like turtles difficult to hit with them. Using a Flask of Ichor also helps significantly. This method doesn't require any mobility accessories once Plantera is in melee range provided you have knockback immunity from a Shield (Or grappling to a flat surface with a hook) and a Cross Necklace to help keep you alive for the duration of the fight as you can simply stand still and attack. You may want to have a decent healing potion in case your health reaches a critical state. This works well even on Expert mode.
You want to make a small arena with a platform in the middle to grapple onto if you don't have a shield to prevent knockback. If you have other players, make a small alcove on the top or corner with a spot to move to so they can help you by firing into Plantera.
Heart Arrow Frost Armor Method[edit | edit source]
You Will Need:[edit | edit source]
Preparation[edit | edit source]
Excavate an area that allows some movement, and add 1 to 2 layers of platforms. The area is for dodging Plantera in case you can't stun him temporaliy. The platforms allow the Thorn Balls to fall through, in case Plantera is not stunned for a time and releases a Thorn Ball.
The Battle[edit | edit source]
Spawn Plantera while standing on the platforms. It may take him some time to 'emerge' from the mud. Stun him with the Heart Arrows as he comes out, and the Frost Armor will add the Frostburn debuff to Plantera, allowing him to be defeated in less than 1 minute. For video tutorial, see Merrick's Terraria Mobile: Heart Arrows VS Plantera Video.