|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
"The jungle grows restless..."
|AI Type||Plantera AI|
|Damage||50 / 100 (melee)|
44 / 76 (Seed)
54 / 96 (green Poison Seed)
62 / 108 (Thorn Ball)
120 (Thorn Ball)
|Max Life||30000 / 42000 / 53550|
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
|Chance||50% / 100% (green Poison Seed)|
|Duration||3–7 seconds / 2–9 seconds|
|AI Type||Plantera AI|
|Damage||70 / 140 |
|Max Life||15000/30000 |
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- + 50-149
20-49 )Will always drop the first time Plantera is defeated in a world (
- + 50-149
- Internal NPC ID: 262
|AI Type||Plantera's Hook AI|
|Damage||60 / 120|
|Max Life||4000 / 8000|
|KB Resist||0% / 10%|
- Internal NPC ID: 263
|AI Type||Plantera's Tentacle AI|
|Damage||60 / 138|
|Max Life||1000 / 2000|
|KB Resist||0% / 10%|
- Internal NPC ID: 264
Spawn Condition[edit | edit source]
Plantera can only be spawned by breaking a, by a Pickaxe, Drill, or various other means.
She must then be killed within the Underground Jungle, otherwise she will enrage.
The Fight[edit | edit source]
Plantera will attempt to chase after the player, always trying to make her main bulb overlap the player's space. She moves fairly slowly when compared to a player with speed-boosting equipment. This means a player in a large enough arena can easily keep a distance, assuming they just keep moving. As such, a good arena can make the fight much easier. Do keep in mind that if your arena gets too large, the middle of it may no longer be detected as Underground Jungle.
The second stage begins when Plantera reaches 50% remaining health. The pink petals fall off to reveal a ferocious green maw and Plantera's speed is greatly increased.
Currently, Plantera will enrage and gain more defense, attack more frequently and deal massive amounts of contact and ranged damage if the player leaves the Underground Jungle (including to go to the surface), so surface-level arena strategies are impractical. One exception is taking advantage of Plantera's need to "grapple" to move by building a large enough space that Plantera cannot grapple up after you, and then firing down upon her. However, Plantera can grapple onto background walls, and since they extend down to the underworld, you would have to clear them out first.
The player will want to focus on dodging attacks while shooting constantly at Plantera. Once Plantera reaches her second form, the player should be very wary and attempt to dodge Plantera's lunges.
Ranged characters should try to kill tentacles as soon as they appear. Due to the generally low defense of Ranger sets, getting caught by tentacles often will kill the player very quickly.
Attack types[edit | edit source]
|Seeds||Phase 1||Frequently spits projectiles similar to stingers fired by Hornets. Note that these seeds go through blocks and travel at fast speeds. These seeds will be stopped by solid blocks.|
|Thorn Balls||Phase 1||Thorn Balls are similar to the Spiky Balls. They linger on the ground for a significant amount of time and deal about 50 damage. They fall through platforms. They are however also incredibly bouncy and can easily reach players some height in the air. On Mobile, take caution of these as they do massive damage.|
|Hooks||Phases 1 and 2||Plantera uses 10
vines to move, resembling larger versions of the Ivy Whip. The ends of these vines deal damage if the player touches them.
|Biters||Phase 2||Once Plantera begins the second stage she will sprout a large number of small gnawing minions on "leashes". They simply wave themselves around at the end of their leash and get in the way of the player's attacks, making piercing weapons more valuable. They are fairly strong, but easily killed.|
|Spores||Phase 2||Frequently spits projectiles similar to the Fungi Spores fired by the Giant Fungi Bulb. Easily destroyed, but deals high damage if you get hit.|
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
General Tips[edit | edit source]
This content is transcluded from Guide:Practical Tips § Combat.
- Starting the battle just after the sun sets (7:30 PM) will provide the maximum amount of time to defeat nocturnal bosses. (Do pause a moment to make sure the night won't be a Blood Moon, or feature another boss spawning.) In Hardmode, the and/or are also useful at night.
- Prepare your Boss-fighting arena with adequate lighting, and for health regeneration, and for mana regeneration if you use magic. will provide a significant defensive boost.
- provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Always carry at least one stack of the highest-tier healing potion available (Health Regeneration is not a good idea.
, , , or ). Relying only on natural
- The same goes for , , , or , if you use Magic. The could also be used.
- It is suggested to build houses for the thorns-like effect, while the latter can heal and remove debuffs instantly, at the cost of some . and the NPCs in your arena. The former casts the buff, which increases your defense and provides you with a
- Bosses are displayed on the Minimap: Follow the boss's icon to track it when you're struggling to find it. You can identify the boss icons by checking their respective wiki pages.
- Once you have freed the Dungeon, you can use to enhance your arena with and helpful and . The former help to damage the enemies, though be careful to set them up correctly in order not to hurt yourself during the battle. The latter will spawn heart and star pickups, respectively. Connect these devices to . in the
- It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu or King Slime before summoning any harder boss in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of Hearts. Note that this will prevent any Heart Statues from spawning new Hearts.
- Remember to use the , , , and before you go to explore or battle bosses/invasions. These will give class-specific boosts that are useful to take. They give , , , and , respectively.
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
The actual shape of your arena depends on how you want to fight. For a player who wants to have plenty of evasive space, excavating around a screen's worth of space inside the Underground Jungle and filling it with rows of Platforms can work well. For more aggressive players, a smaller space excavated right next to a bulb can work too. Others will just use a stack of bombs to excavate a large area for flying and grappling. Mobility is generally key during her battle, but enough of a damage output can kill her fast enough to make evasion less important. Plantera's spike balls do significant damage and are used frequently during Plantera's first phase, however, they can only bounce off solid surfaces. If you do not mind taking the extra time, consider digging a hole at least 2 times deeper than you would use for the fight and stick to the top half of your arena, without the added threat of Plantera's spike balls, she is much easier to defeat. Make sure the arena is not too big, as taking out too many Mud blocks might turn the Underground Jungle into just regular caverns, enraging Plantera and making the fight much more difficult. Honey can be used for its regeneration, so you can make little pools for the regeneration benefit. If you have the party girl, you can buy Bubble Blocks, and make a small pocket to put honey in.Bring a Hammer to remove the jungle walls so that in Plantera's second phase, the hooks can only grapple on to the blocks so she cannot reach you with her hooks, and thus you will not take damage from them.
Gearing up[edit | edit source]
It is recommended to increase your maximum life to 500 before trying to tackle Plantera and later challenges after her defeat.are very common if many days have passed after defeating one of the Mechanical bosses.
Armor[edit | edit source]
- At minimum, players should use the with the helmet to suit your class.
- has slightly higher offensive and defensive bonuses than Hallowed armor, and also spawns an automatic turret over your head.
- is a decent choice, however, Hallowed armor is usually a better option unless one is looking to take advantage of the set bonus to quickly kill Plantera with a fast melee weapon.
- The best offensive set for melee users consists of the
, , and .
- and are acceptable substitutes.
- The best offensive set for magic users consists of the , , and .
- The best offensive set for ranged users consists of the
, , and .
- and/or can be substituted into any of the above hybrid sets for additional regeneration or minion-based offense, respectively.
- Ballista sentries after taking damage. is a powerful and tanky armor set with a set bonus that triples the attack speed of
- Dedicated summoners should summon as many minions as possible while wearing
, and then equip and , in that order.
- can be worn instead of the Spider Breastplate, sacrificing 1 minion to gain an additional 19 defense.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- For Melee users
- The is the best choice for melee, being able to tear through both Plantera and her Biters fairly easily.
- The Yoyo Bag. is very useful, as it can rip through her first phase very quickly, especially with a
- The is a good choice for high damage as well.
- and the are good choices as well.
- With enough attack speed upgrades and the Cross Necklace, the can easily kill her in a matter of seconds.
- For Ranged users
, , or are the best guns available. When used with they can deal massive damage.
- Ichor Bullets can also be useful in this fight
- A , with or can be used to great effect.
- You can excavate a tall arena and use a paired with Holy Arrows, which will be great against Plantera.
- The can be useful for killing Plantera's Tentacles in her second phase.
- will freeze Plantera, making the fight incredibly simple.
- The paired with or can be deadly against Plantera.
- For Magic users
- The and are solid weapons against Plantera.
- Using the every so often can prove to be very helpful as it inflicts the , increasing your damage output even more.
- The is always useful (even for non-magic users). It can deal continuous damage which can greatly help the fight, especially in vertical arenas.
- The and are very effective for the second phase, as they deal with the Tentacles while also damaging Plantera. The can also be effective.
- The can easily deal with Plantera's Biters in the second phase while also healing the player in the process.
- For Summoners
- The and summon the most reliable minions.
- The can prove to be incredibly powerful when used with a Tavernkeep's armor set.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- , , , and s will help you survive much longer.
- Anything that gives the Well Fed buff is welcomed help.
- and s give very welcomed damage upgrades.
- s may be helpful for preventing spores from reaching you.
- s and are very effective for Melee users.
- Likewise with s, for Rangers who choose to use arrows.
- and are a must have for Magic users.
- s are very useful for summoners.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
- will allow you to dodge Plantera's attacks.
- The utility of the 's dash is essential throughout all of Expert Mode.
- Damage can be greatly boosted through combat accessories such as any or the .
- Melee users who choose to use swords can use the to greatly increase their damage and attack speed. It can also be combined with the for an even larger increase. Note that the latter should not be used by itself due to its slightly lower stats.
- The will significantly increase a Yoyo's DPS and range.
- The Potion Sickness debuff time from one minute to 45 seconds. In order for the Philosopher's Stone effect to be applied, it only has to be equipped the instant a Healing Potion is drunk. can be used for increased regen and the reduction of the
- The Expert-exclusive or the can reduce all damage taken.
- The Poisoned debuff. is very useful for preventing knockback in the second phase. The Obsidian Shield is an alternative, only losing the situational immunity to the
- The / can be used to extend the invulnerability period after being attacked. This can prove to be useful during the second phase due to the large amount of Biters.
Specific strategies[edit | edit source]
Teleportation trick[edit | edit source]
Make a long hallway, and place a Teleporter with a pressure plate on each end.
When she is climbing down toward you on one side, jump on the pressure plate used to activate the Teleporter. You will teleport to the other side, and Plantera will need to climb back at you.
Boomerang-type weapons can fly indefinitely when using a teleportation trick, though there are not many hardmode-effective boomerangs available. Before the boomerang returns, the player can teleport to the other end of the hall, and the boomerang will change directions and pierce enemies along the way.
Note that if the hallway is too long, Plantera will despawn. This was observed in a hallway as small as 200 tiles. If you use the mobile edition, you should make the hallway around 125-150 tiles long, as Plantera will despawn within a shorter range of the player.
This method is more difficult in Expert mode, as her seeds can pass through blocks, all of her projectiles are now homing, and her 'mouths' spawn on her legs, closer to the player.
Fireworks[edit | edit source]
You can also use fireworks to kill plantera, as plantera is easy to lure into the path of fireworks. This requires only a large sum of money, and can kill plantera in a matter of seconds.
If each firework deals 150 damage, you will need 200 fireworks, or in expert, 280 fireworks to insta-kill plantera.
Minecart tracks[edit | edit source]
If you can locate a Plantera's bulb nearby a row of minecart tracks, You can easily annihilate Plantera at a distance while riding the tracks. This was observed with a natural generated minecart track, where Plantera was stuck in blocks due to the narrow hall and the varying heights.
Plantera can then be dodged at the end of the rail by using a bumper and ramming through her, suffering minimal loss on health.
The pros being miminal terrain preparation, cons being depends on chance and rails may lead out of the jungle, resulting in a enraged Plantera.
Circle and run[edit | edit source]
This is a technique used by several youtubers in Expert mode, including Gellot.
Make an arena in the underground jungle about 2 screens wide and high with platforms, making sure to have the bottom row by platforms, letting the spiky balls she fires fall to the ground harmlessly. Nearby, place a Bed at one end of a long tunnel.
In Phase 1 of the fight, circle around Plantera using Wings, firing at her with projectiles.
When Phase 2 begins, use a Magic Mirror to teleport to your spawn point (making sure you don't go so far away as to make Plantera despawn) and progress down the tunnel, firing behind you as you go.
- For the first time Plantera has been defeated in a given world, the Grenade Launcher will always be selected from these seven options. Otherwise, each option is equally likely.