|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
There are many things in Terraria which are not evident from the get-go, and many other things that a player would definitely do different on a rerun of the game. It's true that much of the joy lies in exploring, but if that's your poison then you wouldn't be in this wiki now, would you?
NPCs[edit | edit source]
- You'll be getting a lot of NPCs – arrange a building that you can keep expanding (upwards is best). Also, to avoid possible Corruption/Crimson contamination in the future, it can be helpful to dig a 4-5 block trench around your house.
Items[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
- Stacks of items can be bought and crafted quickly by holding the right mouse button.
- You'll be gathering a lot of stuff, so it's best to separate your chests - one for ores and bars, next to an Anvil and Furnace. One for potion materials, next to a Placed Bottle or Alchemy Table. One for potions, one for weapons, one for equipables next to a Tinkerer's Workshop, and one for crafting materials.
- All Piggy Banks and all Safes share the same space – you can leave one at home, and take one with you, effectively tripling your carry-able items! However, Piggy Banks require flat furniture surfaces to set on, so take a Work Bench or some platforms as well. In the Desktop and Console versions, you can get the during a Blood Moon, meaning if you obtain one, you no longer have to carry around Piggy Banks.
- Even with full health, Heart Crystals can still be used to craft , which provide health regeneration.
- Don't run around with your money in the inventory. If you die, you'll probably have trouble retrieving it. Consider placing it in a Piggy Bank or Safe periodically.
- Try not to fight Voodoo Demons above lava, otherwise they will drop the Guide Voodoo Doll into it, and the Wall of Flesh will spawn.
- Don't be reckless when exploring areas with Hardmode enemies. Players usually enter Hardmode feeling confident that they can handle anything, but Hardmode enemies will quickly break this illusion. Additional dismay may ensue if you lose your coins and items and be unable to retrieve them.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Make a Gems of any kind. This makes exploration of caves becomes much easier, and doesn't require you to get a Hook. after getting your first 15
- If you can withstand screen flips, Space biome. can be your best friend for vertical mobility. With precautions and practice, this can easily eliminate the need for an arena and can save you some resources to explore the
- Fishing up a ocean, while possibly being time-consuming, allows you to skip all the mandatory pre-Hardmode pickaxes – it has the same pickaxe power as the Molten Pickaxe and is faster. from the
- Don't jump down a large hole or cave without an extra jump or
. If you don't have those, consider using the to safely descend.
- As a rule of thumb, you should not jump down if you can't see the glow of a torch or glowstick that you threw down.
- Always upgrade your Pickaxe/Drill in Hardmode. They are mandatory for progressing to the next ore tier. The order is: / , / and finally / .
- The Ascent speed can be greatly increased by equipping a .
- Every The Hallow can be crafted into 100 , but unlike other darts, these ricochet and auto-aim, making clearing out mobs a piece of cake. from
Combat[edit | edit source]
- Starting the battle as soon as the sun sets (at 7:30 p.m.) will provide the maximum amount of time to defeat nocturnal bosses.
- Prepare your Boss-fighting arena with adequate lighting, and for health regeneration, and for mana regeneration if you use magic.
- provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Always bring with you at least one stack of Health Regeneration is not a good idea.
, , or before doing anything: relying only on natural
- The same goes for , , or , if you use Magic.
- It is suggested to build houses for the thorns-like effect, while the latter can heal and remove debuffs instantly, at the cost of some . and the NPCs in your arena. The former casts the buff, which increases your defense and provides you with a
- Bosses are displayed on the Minimap: Follow the boss's icon to track it when you're struggling to find it. You can identify the boss icons by checking their respective wiki pages.
- Once you have freed the Dungeon, you can use to enhance your arena with and helpful and . The former help to damage the enemies, though be careful to set them up correctly in order not to hurt yourself during the battle. The latter will spawn heart and star pickups, respectively. Connect these devices to . in the
- It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu before summoning any harder boss in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of hearts.
- Remember to use the , , and before you go to explore or battle Bosses / Invasions. These will give class-specific boosts that are useful to take. They respectively give , , and .
World[edit | edit source]
- For quick trips to the various layers or the world, a hellevator can be a very useful structure. Dig a vertical shaft from underneath your base down to The Underworld and consider placing to conveniently ascend and descend.
- Don't look for Hardmode ores in the Underground Corruption, Crimson, or Hallow when you first start Hardmode unless you are very confident in your skill. Instead, if you have dug one, a hellevator is a good place to start looking.
- Hardmode ores cannot be found in all layers:
Other[edit | edit source]
- Pressing the Left Ctrl (Alt on Macs and pressing down the right joystick on Xbox) key changes your mining style to Smart Cursor, which is extremely useful for strip mining.
- You can descend relatively fast by auto-focusing the mining and digging a 2-block-wide shaft.
- Make sure not to place Banners around areas where their correlating monsters will not spawn.
- You can right click with any Summon weapon on an enemy or boss to have your minions target it. You can tell an enemy is targeted when a purple circle appears over it and the enemy or boss starts trailing purple particles.
- If your mouse has side-buttons you can rebind them to restore Health, use Buff items or to restore Mana.