Guide:Pumpkin Moon strategies
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
The Pumpkin Moon is a post-Plantera Hardmode event triggered by activating the Pumpkin Moon Medallion. The event is very rewarding if you can successfully keep pace, providing a large amounts of money and good weapons by the end of the night.
However, the event is also difficult and requires a lot of preparation.
The Event[edit | edit source]
|AI Type||Mourning Wood AI|
|Damage||120 / 180 (melee)|
100-150 / 200-300 (flaming wood)
80 / 160 (greek fire)
|Max Life||12000 / 15600|
|Immune to||All debuffs|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- + (30-60)
- (Wave 15 only)(Wave 10-15 in Expert mode)100%
- Internal NPC ID: 325
|AI Type||Pumpking AI|
|Damage||50 / 75 (body)|
65 / 130 (blades)
80 / 160 (greek fire)
120 / 240 (scythe)
|Max Life||22000 / 28600|
|Immune to||All debuffs|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Wave 15 (10-15 in Expert mode) only100%
- Internal NPC ID: 327
The event consists of 14 waves, with a final Wave 15 which will last until the end of the night. As the event goes on, stronger enemies and unique bosses will appear.
During the first few Waves, a large number of, and will appear. These enemies only have average stats, so a weapon with good crowd control abilities will clear the first waves fairly fast.
The first miniboss, the Mourning Wood will start appearing on Wave 4. This enemy will walk towards the player, and then shoot Flaming Wood when it stops moving. It can also leave Greek Fire on the ground. While it can prove to be rather easy to kill, on later waves many of them will spawn, so one can easily get overwhelmed by their projectiles.
From Wave 5 theand will start appearing. These are weaker than the Boss enemies, but much stronger than the average ones. Even if they are not a threat by themselves, they can be very dangerous combined with the minibosses.
On Wave 7, the main Boss of the Event will appear, the Pumpking. It behaves similarly to Skeletron; attempting to stay above the player and attacking with the blades on its arms. The most dangerous attack it has are its Flame Scythes: a large, highly damaging projectile that speeds up over time, similar to Demon Scythes. It's rather slow for a boss enemy, so it can be easily outran and dodged by moving in wide circles.
The further the player has progressed, the more boss enemies will be able to spawn at once, and their chance to drop an item will also increase. On the Final Wave, up to seven of each boss can appear, and they will always drop an item and their respective trophy.
Preparation[edit | edit source]
General Tips[edit | edit source]
- Starting the battle as soon as the sun sets (at 7:30 PM) will provide the maximum amount of time to defeat nocturnal bosses. This also means that the and/or can be used if the player has obtained it from Werewolves or Vampires, respectively, providing a combat advantage.
- Prepare your Boss-fighting arena with adequate lighting, and for health regeneration, and for mana regeneration if you use magic.
- provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Always carry at least one stack of the highest-tier healing potion available (Health Regeneration is not a good idea.
, , , or ). Relying only on natural
- The same goes for , , , or , if you use Magic. The could also be used.
- It is suggested to build houses for the thorns-like effect, while the latter can heal and remove debuffs instantly, at the cost of some . and the NPCs in your arena. The former casts the buff, which increases your defense and provides you with a
- Bosses are displayed on the Minimap: Follow the boss's icon to track it when you're struggling to find it. You can identify the boss icons by checking their respective wiki pages.
- Once you have freed the Dungeon, you can use to enhance your arena with and helpful and . The former help to damage the enemies, though be careful to set them up correctly in order not to hurt yourself during the battle. The latter will spawn heart and star pickups, respectively. Connect these devices to . in the
- It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu or King Slime before summoning any harder boss in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of hearts.
- Remember to use the , , , and before you go to explore or battle bosses/invasions. These will give class-specific boosts that are useful to take. They give , , , and , respectively.
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
A flat surface about 168 blocks wide (See NPC spawning) will focus all spawns on the arena. Above it there should be a long platform of the same width, high above the ground in order to keep the enemies out of Melee reach. Since the player will mostly focus on the Bosses on the later waves, it's a very good idea to support the arena with a Lava pit and Traps to take out the weaker enemies more easily.
and can potentially cover the entire arena, while and should be placed at the Lava pits to make full use of their limited reach but high damage.
It's also a good idea to make a room with anear the Arena, so in case of death you can quickly get back to it.
Gearing up[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
- For melee, DPS is maximized with the
, , and .
- Terra Blade. with Scale Mail can also be used, but is ideal only when using the
- Rangers should use
with the headpiece that suits their weapon.
- Shroomite armor's set bonus becomes useless in later waves, so it can be replaced with for two extra minions or for a 1% advantage in critical strike chance.
- For a mage, the highest DPS is attained by using
with in the head slot, using the Spectre Hood only when at low health.
- can be used along with Hallowed Headgear in place of Spectre Pants, but does not facilitate armor switching.
- Summoners should use Palladium armor. . They can also switch to the and after summoning, losing one minion to gain constant regeneration greater than that provided by
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- For Melee users
- The is a very strong weapon for both crowd control and single targets. works similarly.
- and are very strong swords. The former should only be used against the bosses, as the latter has better crowd control.
- The is very good for crowds and decent against bosses.
- is fast and deals decent damage, but it becomes ineffective in the later waves, as there will be too many boss enemies for it to handle.
- The deal extreme damage to Mourning Woods and other grounded enemies.
- can be used to quickly heal in critical situations, but have lower DPS than most other options.
- For Ranged users
- is one of the best weapons to use. With s, they can deal massive damage to all enemies.
- The , or are very effective for crowd control.
- The paired with is very strong against the bosses.
- For Magic users
- The excels against both enemies and bosses.
- The , or are good against the bosses.
- The , , and are all very good secondary weapons.
- The is decent for crowd control.
- For Summoners
- , or are the best minions available.
- and , or their respective Canes, are the best sentries available.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
- Wings are important for every boss fight. The best ones available are the . The 's hover ability may also come in handy.
- The makes all wings ascend significantly faster, making dodging attacks easier.
- The greatly helps in dodging the attacks and is recommended for all classes.
- Damage increasing accessories such as any Emblem, the , , the or the are extremely important for the Moon events.
- The will restore mana when hit.
Accessories should be modified to Lucky or Menacing for the event.
Mounts[edit | edit source]
The use of mounts can save accessory slots that would've been used for mobility.
- The Scutlix has very high movement speed, a very high jump and extra laser attacks. is very helpful, as the
- The or provide permanent but slower flight.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- , , , and will greatly increase survivability.
- Any food item that provides the buff is good.
- is incredibly useful when picking up the hearts dropped by Mourning Woods or Pumpkings.
- is a must for mages.
- will increase mobility.
and will improve DPS.
- , , or and will further improve it for Mages, Rangers, Melee, and Summoner users respectively.
Specific strategies[edit | edit source]
- A very good way to go through waves, until any Pumpkings arrive at wave 7, and even kill some if aiming correctly, is to use a Cannon at a platform 37 blocks high from the ground (where the enemies are) as each Cannonball deals 300 damage, which is devastating for the early waves even for Mourning Woods. In addition, most attacks cannot hit the player.
- Using Dynamite with an explosion-proof arena causes splash damage that can demolish early waves. During the later waves, with Mourning Woods and/or Pumpkings, this is less effective as there are less grouped enemies around.