Guide:Queen Slime strategies
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
Status: Under revision (This Guide is currently being revised or has been revised partially. It hasn't met all quality standards yet.)
|AI Type||Queen Slime AI|
|Damage||60120180 (melee) |
~80???? (Queenly Smash)
~60???? (Regal Gel)
- Internal NPC ID: 657
|AI Type||Queen Slime AI|
|Damage||60120180 (melee) |
~80???? (Queenly Smash)
~60???? (Regal Gel)
- Internal NPC ID: 657
Spawn Conditions[edit | edit source]
The Fight[edit | edit source]
In her first phase, Queen's Slime jumps around in a similar fashion to King Slime, though much faster. She periodically summons Crystal Slimes, Heavenly Slimes, or Bouncy Slimes. Crystal Slimes will shoot several crystals upwards, Heavenly Slimes will fly towards the player and Bouncy Slimes will fire bouncing shots towards the player. After a few jumps, she does one of two things, chosen at random:
- Will stay in one place for a few seconds, before jumping very quickly towards the player and attempt to stomp them, dealing high damage.
- Will stay in one place for a few seconds, before firing 6 Regal Gel that bounce twice before breaking. Sometimes, she will perform this attack multiple times in a row.
Killing the smaller slimes should be a priority during this phase, as they can quickly overwhelm the player.
When at 50% health, Queen Slime will grow wings and begin to fly like a Slimer. Her AI also changes:
- She will occasionally shoot Regal Gel in 10 directions.
- She will occasionally attempt to fly above and drop down onto the player.
Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
Queen Slime shoots out bouncing projectiles that can be a challenge to dodge, especially in the second stage. Fighting in an off-ground arena with platforms on the bottom will allow the projectiles to fall out safely. For example, a Sky Bridge consisted of platforms is extremely recommended. If you have Lava Waders or its upgrades, it may be a good idea to use bubble and lava instead of platforms, as the neither the Queen Slime in the first phase nor the slimes she summons can stand on them. This will come at the cost of slowing down each time the player moves through the lava.
Gearing Up[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
- Titanium armor provides solid stat bonuses and the powerful Titanium Barrier.
- Adamantite armor forgoes the special set bonus for higher stats.
- Orichalcum armor provides acceptable stats with a set bonus that helps killing the spawned slimes.
- Palladium armor provides lower stat bonuses, but the Rapid Healing greatly increases natural regeneration.
- Hallowed armor becomes a great choice if you have already defeated a Mechanical Boss, since the Holy Protection buff does wonders for survivability.
- Spider armor is the best choice for Summoners.
- Forbidden Armor is a viable armor set for both summoners and mages due to the efficiency of its set bonus.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
It's important to have weapons that can deal with the crowd of slimes that she summons, as well as weapons that can reach her in her winged form.
- For Melee users
- The Shadowflame Knife is good because of its accuracy and bouncing projectiles.
- The Amarok or Hel-Fire (or Yelets if you already defeated a Mechanical Boss) are good weapons as well.
- For Ranged users
- The Dart Pistol or Dart Rifle with Crystal Darts is useful due to its high damage output and its semi-homing ricochet ability, which can kill all of the nearby slimes that are summoned.
- The Daedalus Stormbow, while also being useful for killing the smaller slimes, can still do a hefty amount of damage to the Queen Slime when paired with Holy/Ichor Arrows and a Magic Quiver.
- The Ore Repeaters are weaker but still strong alternatives.
- The Shadowflame Bow, Marrow and Ice Bow have better stats but lack arrow variance.
- The Onyx Blaster is extremely powerful against the Queen Slime when used with Crystal Bullets and supported with Ichor; however it has issues against the Slimes. The Megashark is a stronger alternative but requires the defeat of The Destroyer.
- For Magic users
- The Golden Shower is highly useful in this fight, as with most Hardmode boss fights, for its defense-lowering ability, although as a penetrating weapon, it is also reasonably useful on its own for clearing out the slime minions.
- The Life Drain is extremely useful for killing large groups of slimes with little aiming required. It also provides a noticeable increase to regeneration, but it shouldn't be used primarily for healing due to its lackluster performance against single targets and high mana drain.
- The Meteor Staff is a high damage weapon that can be used for most bosses at this point in the game, but it uses a lot of mana very quickly, so a lot of mana potions will be required (except perhaps in the second phase, where if the player is able to take out the many minion slimes quickly, there will be many mana stars available for pickup).
- The Nimbus Rod can provide some additional DPS against all targets. Casting it immediately before starting the fight is a decent option, as it does not constantly drain mana and its clouds linger for a significant duration.
- The Sky Fracture is a decent choice all around, being able to hit Queen Slime herself easily as well as effectively deal with her slime minions, although it is a bit harder to aim properly in the second phase.
- The Spirit Flame deals very high damage, but is only really useful in the second phase: During phase one, it is too hard to control which enemy it targets, often hitting a slime minion instead of Queen Slime herself (or vice-versa). In phase two, it becomes useful against Queen Slime if you can follow her closely, as the minion slimes are far less likely to be right next to her when she is flying.
- The Crystal Serpent can deal high damage to the Queen Slime because of her large size, but it will not deal with the smaller slimes well.
- If you have fought The Twins beforehand, the Rainbow Rod crafted from the souls is one of the best options for fighting Queen Slime, due to the AoE damage and piercing in addition to it's homing capabilities, letting you kill all the minions quickly while constantly dealing damage to the Queen Slime.
- Some weapons which are best suited for close-quarters are less useful in this fight, as keeping a safe distance from Queen Slime is paramount for Magic users:
- The Poison Staff cannot poison the boss nor her slime minions, and while it deals respectable damage still, its limited range makes it an unwise choice for use against the boss, and its inaccurate spread makes it hard to use against the small minion slimes.
- The Crystal Storm also deals respectable DPS, but its projectiles are inaccurate and somewhat range-limited, and even considering their ability to ricochet, with so many small and/or fast-moving targets this weapon is of limited use compared to others.
- The Crystal Vile Shard dropped by Hallowed Mimics can deal good damage to Queen Slime and the slimes she summons because of its piercing ability. However, its short range makes it extremely dangerous to try to use against the boss herself, as it leaves the player too open to her melee attacks.
- For Summoners
- The Pirate Staff is the highest damage summon weapon available at this point in the game if no mechanical bosses have been defeated, but obtaining it requires a lot of luck, and it may be easier or wiser to forego it in favor of more easily-obtainable options. The Spider Staff is a slightly weaker alternative that is much easier to get. Note that both minions struggle greatly against her second phase due to their lack of flight.
- The Blade Staffis effective, since it can pierce through 25 defense and the Queen Slime only has 26, but it is not as effective against the slimes that she summons because they have higher defense. It is most effective with the Durendal because of its tag damage.
- The Sanguine Staff can be used as alternative that requires less grinding to get, although the Dreadnautilus is a formidable enemy in its own right.
- The Queen Spider Staff can help quite a lot with dealing with the many minion slimes, depending on where you place its sentries.
- Whips, primarily the Durendal and Snapthorn, while not very reliable as primary weapons, greatly increase minions' damage with their damage tags.
- The Firecracker has very high DPS when used as a main weapon if both the player and their minions are attacking the same target. However its short range makes it a risky choice.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
There are many great accessories available at this point.
- Frozen Wings, Fairy Wings, Harpy Wings or Fin Wings are the best wings available at this stage, but Leaf Wings are reasonable substitutes. Lightning Boots or better will provide better ground movement. Amphibian Boots can also be used because they increase the ascent speed of wings. Those two accessories will allow you to move almost freely through the air and on the ground.
- The Cobalt Shield or its upgrades prevents knockback, which can be useful in the second phase as projectiles can cover the screen.
- The Frozen Turtle Shell is a defensive accessory that reduces damage if your health starts getting low. The Expert mode exclusive Worm Scarf is also effective.
- The Cross Necklace or Star Veil) will make rapid hits more survivable.
- The Charm of Myths enhances survivability by providing regeneration and reducing the duration of Potion Sickness. To reduce the potion cooldown, it only needs to be equipped during the instant a health potion is drunk.
- An Emblem provides additional damage for your primary damage type;
- Yoyo fighters should use a Yoyo Bag, as it doubles a yoyo's damage output, as well as providing 2 extra counterweights that can do a bit more damage.
- Magic Quiver should be used if using a Daedalus Stormbow or any Repeater with Jester/Unholy Arrows.
- Magic users who wish to rely less on Mana Potions can equip a pair of Magic Cuffs/Celestial Cuffs. Slimes drop mana stars frequently.
- Putrid Scent provides a generic increase to DPS and is a decent filler accessory.
As with most situations in general, it is best to reforge your accessories with damage, critical strike chance or defense increasing modifiers.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- Regeneration Potion, Endurance Potion, Lifeforce Potion, and Ironskin Potion will greatly increase survivability.
- Any food item that provides the Well Fed, Plenty Satisfied, or Exquisitely Stuffed buff is helpful.
- Mana Regeneration Potion is a must for mages.
- Swiftness Potion will increase mobility.
- Rage Potion and Wrath Potion will improve DPS.
Specific Strategies[edit | edit source]
During the second stage, Queen Slime follows a fairly predictable pattern. The player can run back and forth on a long platform, jumping over projectiles, and Queen Slime will remain at roughly the same height the entire time, making targeting easier.
Skybridge[edit | edit source]
Fighting on a long skybridge can make avoiding the spawned slimes much easier. Queen Slime is fairly slow in her first stage, but her winged form can keep up with the mounts summoned by the Goat Skull and Blessed Apple. Be careful if you reverse directions as all previously summoned slimes will still be alive.
Lava Layer[edit | edit source]
Like nearly all bosses, the Queen Slime is immune to lava, but her minions are not. A thin layer of lava can be used to take out most of her minions. Combined with Lava Waders, Terraspark Boots, Water Walking Potions, or Obsidian Skin Potion, you can easily decimate her.
The Black Spot Mount (Master Mode Only)[edit | edit source]
The Black Spot is a great mount for fighting the Queen Slime, as it has infinite flight and it is faster than most mounts in early Hardmode. Using a strong weapon like Dart Rifle with Cursed Darts, it is possible to kill Queen Slime and her minions very fast. Note that Queen Slime can teleport to you in her first phase, so you have to keep on moving to dodge her attacks.