Guide:Queen Slime strategies
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
Status: Under revision (This Guide is currently being revised or has been revised partially. It hasn't met all quality standards yet.)
|AI Type||Queen Slime AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 657
Spawn Conditions[edit | edit source]
The Fight[edit | edit source]
In her first phase, Queen Slime jumps around in a similar fashion to King Slime, though much faster. She periodically summons Crystal Slimes, Heavenly Slimes, or Bouncy Slimes. Crystal slimes will shoot several crystals upwards, heavenly slimes will fly towards the player and bouncy slimes will fire bouncing shots towards the player. After a few jumps, she does one of two things, chosen at random:
- Will stay in one place for a few seconds, before jumping very quickly towards the player and attempt to stomp them, dealing high damage.
- Will stay in one place for a few seconds, before firing 6 Regal Gel that bounce twice before breaking. Sometimes, she will perform this attack multiple times in a row.
Killing the smaller slimes should be a priority during this phase, as they can quickly overwhelm the player.
When at 50% health, Queen Slime will grow wings and begin to fly like a Slimer. Her AI also changes:
- She will occasionally shoot Regal Gel in 10 directions.
- She will occasionally attempt to fly above and drop down onto the player.
Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
This content is transcluded from Guide:Practical Tips § Combat.
- Starting the battle just after the sun sets (7:30 PM) will provide the maximum amount of time to defeat nocturnal bosses. In Hardmode, the Moon Charm and/or Moon Stone are also useful at night.
- Prepare your Boss-fighting arena with adequate lighting, Campfires and Heart Lanterns for health regeneration, and Stars in Bottles for mana regeneration if you use magic. Bast Statues will provide a significant defensive boost. Garden Gnomes will reduce damage taken and damage dealt due to the luck. Honey pools can also be used for extra health regeneration.
- Sunflowers provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Always carry at least one stack of the highest-tier healing potion available (Lesser, Normal,Greater, or Super Healing Potions). Relying only on natural Health Regeneration is not a good idea.
- It is suggested to build houses for the Dryad and the Nurse NPCs in your arena. The former casts the Dryad's Blessing buff, which increases your defense and provides you with a thorns-like effect, while the latter can heal and remove debuffs instantly, at the cost of some coins.
- Bosses are displayed on the Minimap: Follow the boss's icon to track it when you're struggling to find it. You can identify the boss icons by checking their respective wiki pages.
- Once you have freed the Mechanic in the Dungeon, you can use Wire to enhance your arena with Traps and helpful Heart and Star Statues. The former help to damage the enemies, though be careful to set them up correctly in order not to hurt yourself during the battle. The latter will spawn heart and star pickups, respectively. Connect these devices to timers.
- It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu or King Slime before summoning any harder boss in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of Hearts. Note that this will prevent any Heart Statues from spawning new Hearts.
- Remember to use the Sharpening Station, Ammo Box, Crystal Ball,Bewitching Table, and Slice of Cake before you go to explore or battle bosses/invasions. These will give boosts that are useful to take, with the first four being class-specific. They give Sharpened, Ammo Box, Clairvoyance, Bewitched, and Sugar Rush, respectively.
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
Queen Slime shoots out bouncing projectiles that can be a challenge to dodge, especially in the second stage. Fighting in an off-ground arena with platforms on the bottom will allow the projectiles to fall out safely. For example, a Sky Bridge consisted of platforms is extremely recommended. If you have Lava Waders or its upgrades, it may be a good idea to use bubble and lava instead of platforms, as the neither the Queen Slime in the first phase nor the slimes she summons can stand on them. This will come at the cost of slowing down each time the player moves through the lava.
Gearing Up[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
- Titanium or Adamantite Armor is helpful for all classes.
- If you have already defeated a Mechanical Boss, the Hallowed Armor set is extremely effective for all classes due to its Holy Protection effect. This allows the player to avoid some of the many projectiles the Queen Slime spawns, negating a large amount of her damage.
- Summoners and Mages can use Forbidden Armor .
- Melee and Ranged classes can use Frost Armor.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
It's important to have weapons that can deal with the crowd of slimes that she summons, as well as weapons that can reach her in her winged form.
- For Melee users
- The Shadowflame Knife is good because of its accuracy and several projectiles
- The Amarok or Hel-Fire (or Yelets if you already defeated a Mechanical Boss) are good for yo-yo users.
- For Ranged users
- The Dart Pistol or Dart Rifle with Crystal Darts is useful due to its high damage output and its semi-homing ricochet ability, which can kill all of the nearby slimes that are summoned.
- The Daedalus Stormbow, while also being useful for killing the smaller slimes, can still do a hefty amount of damage to the Queen Slime when paired with Holy/Ichor Arrows and a Magic Quiver.
- For Magic users
- The Golden Shower is highly useful in this fight, as with most Hardmode boss fights, for its defense-lowering ability, although as a penetrating weapon, it is also reasonably useful on its own for clearing out the slime minions.
- The Meteor Staff is a high damage weapon that can be used for most bosses at this point in the game, but it uses a lot of mana very quickly, so a lot of mana potions will be required (except perhaps in the second phase, where if the player is able to take out the many minion slimes quickly, there will be many mana stars available for pickup).
- The Nimbus Rod can provide some additional DPS against all targets. Casting it immediately before starting the fight is a decent option, as it does not constantly drain mana and its clouds linger for a significant duration.
- The Sky Fracture is a decent choice all around, being able to hit Queen Slime herself easily as well as effectively deal with her slime minions, although it is a bit harder to aim properly in the second phase.
- The Spirit Flame deals very high damage, but is only really useful in the second phase: During phase one, it is too hard to control which enemy it targets, often hitting a slime minion instead of Queen Slime herself (or vice-versa). In phase two, it becomes useful against Queen Slime if you can follow her closely, as the minion slimes are far less likely to be right next to her when she is flying.
- The Crystal Serpent can deal high damage to the Queen Slime because of her large size, but it will not deal with the smaller slimes well.
- Some weapons which are best suited for close-quarters are less useful in this fight, as keeping a safe distance from Queen Slime is paramount for Magic users:
- The Poison Staff cannot poison the boss nor her slime minions, and while it deals respectable damage still, its limited range makes it an unwise choice for use against the boss, and its inaccurate spread makes it hard to use against the small minion slimes.
- The Crystal Storm also deals respectable DPS, but its projectiles are inaccurate and somewhat range-limited, and even considering their ability to ricochet, with so many small and/or fast-moving targets this weapon is of limited use compared to others.
- The Crystal Vile Shard dropped by Hallowed Mimics can deal good damage to Queen Slime and the slimes she summons because of its piercing ability. However, its short range makes it extremely dangerous to try to use against the boss herself, as it leaves the player too open to her melee attacks.
- For Summoners
- The Pirate Staff is the highest damage summon weapon available at this point in the game if no mechanical bosses have been defeated, but obtaining it requires a lot of luck, and it may be easier or wiser to forego it in favor of more easily-obtainable options.
- The Blade Staffis effective, since it can pierce through 25 defense and the Queen Slime only has 26, but it is not as effective against the slimes that she summons because they have higher defense. It is most effective with the Durendal because of its tag damage.
- The Sanguine Staff can be used as alternative that requires less grinding to get, although the Dreadnautilus is a formidable enemy in its own right.
- The Queen Spider Staff can help quite a lot with dealing with the many minion slimes, depending on where you place its sentries.
- Whips may not be very good options for attacking Queen Slime herself, as their somewhat limited range can put players in danger of her melee attacks, but they can be extremely useful in taking out the various minion slimes.
- The Cool Whip deals good damage, and its snowflake minion (which ignores enemy defense) is quite helpful for fighting the minion slimes, which have high defense but low health.
- For players who have defeated a Mechanical Boss already, the Durendal is another good option, with its melee-speed-increasing buff and even higher damage.
- The Firecracker is considerably less useful for killing the smaller slimes, because of its lower damage compared to their considerable defense.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
There are many great accessories available at this point.
- The Cross Necklace (or any of its upgrades such as the Star Veil) will make the variety of attacks much more survivable.
- Frozen Wings, Fairy Wings, Harpy Wings or Fin Wings are the best wings available at this stage, but Leaf Wings are reasonable substitutes. Lightning Boots or better will provide better ground movement. Amphibian Boots are also can also be used because they increase the ascent speed of wings. Those two accessories will allow you to move almost freely through the air and on the ground.
- The Cobalt Shield or its upgrades prevents knockback and it is practically mandatory for melee users, but useful for any class.
- The Frozen Turtle Shell is a defensive accessory that reduces damage if your health starts getting low. The Expert mode exclusive Worm Scarf is also effective.
- The Charm of Myths enhances survivability by providing regeneration and reducing the duration of Potion Sickness. To reduce the potion cooldown, it only needs to be equipped during the instant a health potion is drunk.
- An Emblem provides additional damage for your primary damage type;
- Yoyo fighters should use a Yoyo Bag, as it doubles a yoyo's damage output, as well as providing 2 extra counterweights that can do a bit more damage.
- Magic Quiver should be used if using a Daedalus Stormbow or any Repeater with Jester/Unholy Arrows.
- Magic users who wish to rely less on Mana Potions can equip a pair of Magic Cuffs/Celestial Cuffs. Slimes drop mana stars frequently.
- Putrid Scent provides a generic increase to DPS and is a decent filler accessory.
As with most situations in general, it is best to reforge your accessories with damage, critical strike chance or defense increasing modifiers.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- Regeneration Potion, Endurance Potion, Lifeforce Potion, and Ironskin Potion will greatly increase survivability.
- Any food item that provides the Well Fed, Plenty Satisfied, or Exquisitely Stuffed buff is helpful.
- Mana Regeneration Potion is a must for mages.
- Swiftness Potion will increase mobility.
- Rage Potion and Wrath Potion will improve DPS.
Specific Strategies[edit | edit source]
During the second stage, Queen Slime follows a fairly predictable pattern. The player can run back and forth on a long platform, jumping over projectiles, and Queen Slime will remain at roughly the same height the entire time, making targeting easier.
Skybridge[edit | edit source]
Fighting on a long skybridge can make avoiding the spawned slimes much easier. Queen Slime is fairly slow in her first stage, but her winged form can keep up with the mounts summoned by the Goat Skull and Blessed Apple. Be careful if you reverse directions as all previously summoned slimes will still be alive.
Lava Layer[edit | edit source]
Like nearly all bosses, the Queen Slime is immune to lava, but her minions are not. A thin layer of lava can be used to take out most of her minions. Combined with Lava Waders, Terraspark Boots, Water Walking Potions, or Obsidian Skin Potion, you can easily decimate her. Get a strong single target weapon, like Chain Guillotines or the Sky Fracture and some good armor. Titanium armor is extremely useful as its Titanum Barrier can take out most of the Heavenly Slimes
The Black Spot Mount (Master Mode Only)[edit | edit source]
The Black Spot is a great mount for fighting the Queen Slime, as it has infinite flight and it is faster than most mounts in early Hardmode. Using a strong weapon like Dart Rifle with Cursed Darts, it is possible to kill Queen Slime and her minions very fast. Note that Queen Slime can teleport to you in her first phase, so you have to keep on moving to dodge her attacks.