Guide:Skeletron Prime strategies
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
|AI Type||Skeletron Prime Head AI|
|Damage||47 / 79|
94 / 158 (while spinning)
|Max Life||28000 / 42000|
48 (while spinning)
- Internal NPC ID: 127
Skeletron Prime is the Hardmode version of Skeletron. He is part of the trio of Mechanical bosses, alongside with The Destroyer and The Twins. His high health, defense, damage, and multiple limbs will take a lot of punishment, and his limbs have the added effect of blocking non-piercing shots aimed at his head.
Spawning Conditions[edit | edit source]
Skeletron Prime can be spawned by fulfilling any of these conditions:
- Smash a / . It will then have a 10% chance of appearing when night falls. Note that this condition is shared with the rest of the trio, and thus the result isn't guaranteed if they have yet to be defeated, and will only work if Skeletron Prime has yet to be defeated;
- Use a .
It must then be defeated before all the involved players die.
The Fight[edit | edit source]
Skeletron Prime is a flying boss that consists of five parts:
- Prime Saw, a melee arm, with 9000 health.
- Prime Vice, a melee arm, with 9000 health.
- Prime Laser, a ranged arm that fires lasers, with 6000 health.
- Prime Cannon, a ranged arm that fires grenades, with 7000 health.
- Skeletron Prime, the head, with 28000 health.
If you take out his Head, you kill the boss.
Each limb has its own unique attack pattern, listed below. Although killing the limbs is not necessary, they can block the head (especially Prime Saw and Prime Vice), and destroying them can make the fight much easier. It's suggested that you should spend half the night attacking its limbs, then spend the other half of the night attacking the head.
Prime Saw[edit | edit source]
Prime Saw is Skeletron Prime's most prominent melee attack limb, and the one that will do the most damage of any limb. At regular intervals, it will chase down the player, causing serious collision damage each time it hits. The arm can move as fast as the player can with Spectre Boots, and will accelerate in short bursts so it can catch up. It will eventually pull back to the head, waiting to repeat the cycle.
As it does a lot of damage, this arm should be destroyed first. By using the Wooden Platforms to change height when it charges, or with great speed, Prime Saw's attacks can be avoided until it is destroyed. Using a Melee armor set will help mitigate damage taken, after which a ranged set can be equipped.
Prime Vice[edit | edit source]
Prime Vice is Skeletron Prime's secondary melee arm. Though it will occasionally chase the player, it is more common for the arm to simply charge directly at the player, retract, then attack again. This arm is relatively easy to dodge, making it a minimal threat to an agile player.
Prime Laser[edit | edit source]
Prime Laser will consistently remain above the player, firing one laser every second or so. The lasers aren't as damaging as melee attacks and can be avoided fairly easily, but are harder to dodge if you're attempting to damage the Head at close range. Its low defense and health makes destroying it much easier than the other limbs, so it may be worth removing simply to make the Head easier to target.
Prime Cannon[edit | edit source]
Prime Cannon fires grenades at a rate faster than Prime Laser, which also do more damage. However, these grenades only detonate on contact with a solid block.
Skeletron Prime[edit | edit source]
Skeletron Prime is the head, which must be destroyed to win. Skeletron Prime will try to float above the player at all times (use this opportunity by shooting the head from below). He'll close in to do his spinning attack, which doubles his attack and defense. Once he finishes spinning, he'll retreat again. Like Skeletron, if the head is not destroyed by morning, it will be locked in its spinning attack, gain a speed increase, and its attack and defense will increase to near-unbeatable levels. In this state, a single hit will kill the player, while the head will only take one damage per hit, and two damage per critical hit.
When trying to destroy the head, it helps to have destroyed at least two of its limbs first, ideally one melee-based and one ranged-based. The remaining two usually won't block too many of your shots. If all of the limbs but his head have been destroyed, he becomes incredibly easy. His attacks are relatively simple to dodge, and though he can cause a lot of damage, getting hit once or twice isn't a very big deal since he doesn't attack too frequently.
When Skeletron Prime stops attacking and tries to retreat, chase it down using Wings. Though they'll eventually give out, you'll do a fair amount of damage on the way up. The Head will come back down fairly quickly. Attack the head constantly and it should be destroyed before morning.
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
- The most common tips for combat in general can be found here.
Terrain preparation[edit | edit source]
As with all bosses, an arena made out of Wooden Platforms greatly increases your mobility, and it will also shut down the Prime Cannon. You will want 10-15 rows of Platforms, each around 50 or so blocks long. The platforms should be suspended off the ground to prevent the Prime Cannon's grenades from ever detonating. A solid ceiling should be avoided since Skeletron Prime will often retreat a fair distance when not using his spinning attack.
Gearing up[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
Adamantite armor or Titanium armor with your respective helmet is a good set. Accessories that increase your mobility such as the Spectre Boots or Wings or the Jetpack bought from the Steampunker are pretty much a must. If you have farmed The Destroyer or The Twins, Hallowed armor becomes a great choice. If you can, farm the Wall of Flesh to get your respective emblem, be it ranged, melee, magic or summoning (provided you're on PC). Also Getting Life Fruit is a good idea as it can be farmed and increases your health to a maximum of 500.
For melee users:
- The Dao of Pow is an excellent weapon to use due to its long range and damage.
- The Ice Sickle (the Death Sickle can be used if one mechanical boss has been defeated) fires a spinning scythe projectile that will pierce Skeletron Prime and can be acquired from mobs in the Underground Snow biome.
- Some type of spear weapon, ideally the Chlorophyte Partisan, Adamantite Glaive or Titanium Trident, can hit it if you get close enough.
- You can also use the Bladetongue which fires an Ichor projectile provided you can get close enough to it.
- The Flying Knife is quite hard to acquire (being a rare drop from Hallowed Mimics) but it does not require to be in close quarters for full damage.
- Once you've acquired Hallowed Bars, the Gungnir and Light Discs with their high range can be helpful.
- Also, if you manage to acquire them, Bananarangs are a very effective weapon, due to their high damage and speed.
- Frost armor will boost your damage and can inflict the Frostburn debuff.
- The Shadowflame Knife is also an excellent choice.
For ranged users:
- You can get your hands on the Adamantite or Titanium Repeater which are easily obtained. Combine them with Holy Arrows or Frostburn Arrows (Frostburn Arrows will inflict the Frostburn debuff) for acceptable damage rates.
- The Clockwork Assault Rifle is a burst-fire weapon with high speed which can be complemented by Crystal Bullets or Ichor Bullets.
- The Daedalus Stormbow is extremely powerful - especially when combined with Ichor Arrow, Hellfire Arrows or Holy Arrows - but are quite hard to acquire, being a rare drop from Hallowed Mimics. However it is very easy to farm the Daedalus Stormbow and is worth the time.
- If you have defeated The Destroyer, you should definitely consider the Megashark due to its insane speed and respectable damage.
- Frost armor will boost your damage and can inflict the Frostburn debuff.
For Magic users:
- You can use the Crystal Serpent which functions similarly to Crystal Bullets and deals high damage.
- The Crystal Vile Shard deals somewhat low damage but can be used to hold Skeletron Prime's limbs in place, which allows the damage to stack up if you keep firing.
- If you have defeated the Twins, the Rainbow Rod is effective as it does 70 damage, quite a lot if you haven't defeated all 3 mechanical of them.
- The Meteor Staff is extremely powerful and easy to craft, provided you have some leftover Meteor bars from Pre-Hardmode.
- The Golden Shower deals little damage but inflicts the Ichor debuff even when it is switched away, allowing your other weapons to deal even more damage.
- 20-30 Greater Mana Potions are suggested depending on your mana usage (To combat the Mana Sickness debuff, have some Star Statues placed a regular intervals linked up to Three Second Timers. Whether they are on the ground or on a platform shouldn't matter unless the terrain is full of hills. Flatten the area around the statues to make mana regeneration easier. Alternatives can be using the Hallow armor set's magic variant paired with the Crystal Storm with a good pair of wings with good mana accessories with either Menacing, Warding or Arcane can enable you to defeat Skeletron Prime easily.
- You can use the Optic Staff to summon miniature versions of The Twins.
- The is very useful for defeating the laser and cannon, as they don't move much and allow the spiders to cling for longer.
- There's also Pirates from the Pirate Staff, but those lack the ability to fly.
- The Queen Spider Staff is a great choice if you tend to remain in one vicinity the entire battle.
- As Adamantite and Titanium armors don't have helmets that boost Summon damage, you can brave the Spider Nests for Spider armor which is designed exclusively for summoners. Alternatively, farm the Desert biome until you have enough Forbidden Fragments to make Forbidden armor which allows you to use the Sand tornado ability, which can do extra damage to Skeletron Prime, allowing you to finish him off quicker.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- Bring along 10-15 Healing Potions of your choice (Greater is recommended).
- You can also use Horn o' plenty if you have beaten Turkor the Ungrateful.
- For buff potions, the classic trio of the Swiftness Potion, the Ironskin Potion and the Regeneration Potion will do you a world of good.
- Endurance Potions will complement the defense boost of the Ironskin Potion.
- Rangers with Bows should bring along an Archery Potion or two.
- Mages should use Mana Regeneration Potions and Magic Power Potions.
- Damage increasing potions like the Rage Potion and the Wrath Potion are good for everybody.
- A Summoning Potion will help with extra damage, even non-summoners can benefit from having a summon from something like the .
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Using a Melee armor set will help mitigate damage taken, after which you can revert to your previously equipped helmet.
- When using Summon weapons, it is recommended to use the targeting function to focus one arm at a time and reduce the threat Skeletron Prime poses. Simply right-click near one of the weapons to target it and your minions will prioritize that arm.