|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
Skeletron is a Pre-Hardmode Boss guarding the Dungeon. It's big, tough, hard to dodge, and can seriously ruin your evening many times over. Like any other daunting task in Terraria, defeating it is largely about smart preparation. Following are some hints, tips, and strategies to help you do so.
|AI Type||Head AI|
|Damage||32 / 70|
9999 (during day)
|Max Life||4400 / 8800|
|Defense||10 / 100 (if hands aren't killed)|
0 (while spinning)
9999 (during day)
|Debuff duration||3-5 seconds / 6-10 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||Cannot regenerate life|
- Internal NPC ID: 35
|AI Type||Skeletron Hand AI|
|Damage||20 / 44|
|Max Life||600 / 1560|
|Debuff duration||0.5-1 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||Movement speed is reduced|
- Internal NPC ID: 36
Spawn Condition[edit | edit source]
Skeletron can be spawned by fulfilling one of these conditions:
- Talk with at night. He can be found at the Dungeon entrance;
- Kill at night, with .
It must then be defeated before all the involved players die.
The Fight[edit | edit source]
Skeletron is a large skeleton, composed by a Skull and 2 Arms. In order to defeat it, you must kill the Skull.
He attacks the player mostly by swiping its hands. This attack is quite easy to predict, as it prepares them by lunging them backward, so you can prepare to dodge them. However, the main issue is their trajectory, as it's very erratic. You can dodge them by either jumping or running around. It can use both hands to have different timings and trajectories, so you might get caught off-guard by trying to dodge its other hand.
Timing is key in order to defend from the hands: after dodging them, use your piercing weapons to deal damage to both arms (and Skeletron's Skull, if it happens to align with them). The arms don't have much health, so they can be detached fairly easily.
After some time, Skeletron will use its trademarked spin attack. It's slow, but it always homes at you. During this attack, which lasts for quite a bit, it is the most vulnerable; it increases the power of the attack but loses all its defense. As such, use your strongest weapon at your disposal to deal a lot of damage. However, make sure to constantly move; if you get hit by it, you take a lot of damage and you get Health Regeneration.debuff, which stops
During the spin attack, the hands will stay fixed in a uphanded position while Skeletron moves. You can also use this time to deal damage to them, but keep in mind that their defense isn't reduced.
Failing to defeat it till daybreak will make Skeletron permanently spin at you, just like Dungeon Guardian; it will increase defense and attack to the point where most weapons dont do more than 1 damage and its attacks one shot any player.
Expert Mode[edit | edit source]
Skeletron's Head has a massive 100 defense until one of its hands go down. This means that almost every weapon at that point will not do more than 1 damage without a critical hit. As such, you're forced to detach the arms from it in order to progress. Moreover, the hands can Slow you, and its spin attack is much faster than in Normal Mode. After one of the arms goes down, Skeletron gains the ability shoot skulls with a small homing effect when it's not spinning. The frequency of this attack increases as its health goes down and when the other arm falls.
At the beginning of the fight, the arms must be prioritized first, as the Head will barely take any damage with its massive defense. Their attacks have a 50% chance to briefly apply the Slow debuff, which can greatly slow down a player, even if just for a second.
Because of the lack of knockback immunity, getting hit by the spin attack can result on a death even at full health due to its massive damage and speed, so the player needs high mobility to avoid it at all costs.
It is recommended to get the both the arms at very low health and then killing them at the same time, so Skeletron starts shooting skulls with no arms remaining.
After the limbs get the defeated, the fight gets harder because of the skulls he fires. It's easier to dodge the skulls while Skeletron remains above the player, since they can be dodged like Queen Bee's stingers with a little curve. However, this could make the spin attack connect more easily if the player isn't careful, as the head will stand closer to them.
While Skeletron is spinning, running in a straight line with your Boots isn't recommended: it starts firing the skulls as soon as the attack is completed, so the player will most likely get hit by one of them. Because of this, moving in circles using the hover effect and/or double jumps is much safer.
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
General Tips[edit | edit source]
- Starting the battle as soon as the sun sets (at 7:30 p.m.) will provide the maximum amount of time to defeat nocturnal bosses.
- Prepare your Boss-fighting arena with adequate lighting, and for health regeneration, and for mana regeneration if you use magic.
- provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Always bring with you at least one stack of Health Regeneration is not a good idea.
, , , or before doing anything: relying only on natural
- The same goes for , , , or , if you use Magic.
- It is suggested to build houses for the thorns-like effect, while the latter can heal and remove debuffs instantly, at the cost of some . and the NPCs in your arena. The former casts the buff, which increases your defense and provides you with a
- Bosses are displayed on the Minimap: Follow the boss's icon to track it when you're struggling to find it. You can identify the boss icons by checking their respective wiki pages.
- Once you have freed the Dungeon, you can use to enhance your arena with and helpful and . The former help to damage the enemies, though be careful to set them up correctly in order not to hurt yourself during the battle. The latter will spawn heart and star pickups, respectively. Connect these devices to . in the
- It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu before summoning any harder boss in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of hearts.
- Remember to use the , , , and before you go to explore or battle Bosses / Invasions. These will give class-specific boosts that are useful to take. They respectively give , , , and .
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
The arena doesn't matter as much as it does in the other boss fights, but it can still be important. A large, flat surface with enough room to maneuver is key.
A fairly straightforward and common practice is to simply flatten out the roof of the dungeon and fight Skeletron there. A ceiling is mostly unnecessary and tends to get in the way of many attacks, especially if you are planning to use a.
Note: Ricocheting weapons, such as the, can make use of the ceiling efficiently. Always suit your arena by making full use of your gear.
An arena with at least 2 rows of platforms is helpful.
Gearing up[edit | edit source]
It's recommended to try to fight Skeletron with at least 300 Health, however on Expert mode 400 health is almost mandatory.
Armor[edit | edit source]
The best armor available before the fight is Shadow or Crimson armors, because of their high defense, great speed with the former or better regeneration with the latter. Molten Armor is available if the player chose to mine Hellstone before entering the Dungeon.
Throwers should definitely use the Fossil armor.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
For Melee users:
- such as are excellent against Skeletron, as they can be directed easily to the target and held there for rapid repeated damage. Eliminating the hands first can be done very rapidly with a yoyo as the hands tend to push them around, making additional contact with the weapon.
- The does very high damage against him provided the player has obtained it, however it isn't recommended on Expert mode.
like the work well but they are more effective when throwing past the Skull.
- The is also available if the player has mined Hellstone already.
- Flails can work due to their long range and ability to hit both the arms and the head with a single attack. The only one available at this point is the or .
For Ranged users:
/ are the most accessible Bows at this stage. Use them with and .
- The is very strong if the player has already gotten Hellstone.
- The Bee's Knees is an amazing choice against him, being able to deal massive damage.
- The and The are both very good choices for defeating Skeletron.
For Magic users:
- Using a Meteor Armor frees you from the constraints of Mana and deals good damage. with
- If the player is lucky to get one, the is an excellent choice.
- The and can be effective, requiring very little mana while dealing decent damage.
- The Crimson world. is also a very effective method of damaging Skeletron, even allowing it to be used in combination with other weapons. If carefully placed, the cloud created by the rod can cause 100 damage per second. However it will only be available in a
For Throwing users:
- are some of the best weapons available, due to their high damage and firing speed.
- can be used to devastating effect on Skeletron.
- can be useful for the fight, thanks to the homing bees that it releases. This makes dealing damage almost automatic without much need to aim..
- The Imp Staff from the Underworld. is the only weapon available, unless the player has already gotten the
Accessories[edit | edit source]
- Spectre or Lightning Boots are very useful for their hover effect and running speed.
- The Cloud in a Bottle or in a Balloon, as well as their counterparts are very recommended, especially on Expert mode.
- The Shield of Cthulhu is extremely useful for the Expert Mode fight, as the dash can make dodging the skulls and the spin attack much easier.
- The Shark Tooth Necklace can significantly increase damage depending on the weapon used. It's still recommended even on the high damage weapons.
- The Hive Pack gives a boost to the damage and speed of some of the bees spawned by Queen Bee's drops.
- Worm Scarf reduces the damage taken and it's a pretty good choice for the Expert mode fight.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- Ironskin, Endurance and Regeneration Potions will make the job easier for any player and are highly recommended. Two potions will last from sundown to dawn, provided the player stays alive the entire time.
- The Swiftness Potion helps evade it as well.
- Magic Power and Mana Regeneration Potions are mandatory for magic users.
- If you're using melee weapon, Ale is very helpful.
- Any food item that grants the Well Fed buff is very helpful, especially on Expert Mode since it will bring regeneration back to normal.
- An Archery Potion gives a very good damage bonus to bows.
- Wrath and Rage Potions also increase the damage output.
- Featherfall Potion can help dodge it as well.
Others[edit | edit source]
- The Slime Saddle helps with dodging and it can also be used to escape the spin attack should the player get caught on it.
- A good Hook is also good for the same reasons.
Specific Strategies[edit | edit source]
Minecart Strategy[edit | edit source]
An alternative to high-maneuverability armor or accessories which can even work against Expert mode Skeletron is to craft a Minecart for the extra speed and build a large, diamond-shaped Minecart Track, such as one having in the middle on each side three Minecart Tracks with a Bumper on the outer end, and the inner end connects using a switch track to two diagonal tracks, with both connected and the preferred direction up on one side and down on the other, and with a total width of roughly 100-120 blocks. After the Skeletron battle begins, mount the Minecart and accelerate to maximum Minecart speed. While collisions can occasionally occur, they should be uncommon enough that healing will not be a problem. Using attacks at range is highly preferred, though unlike a Hoik system, a Minecart might not move fast enough to allow a boomerang to do all of the work as in some Dungeon Guardian strategies. If using pre-Hardmode weapons, the Molten Fury with Frostburn Arrows is highly recommended.
If using the Minecart strategy and for whatever reason the battle lasts until dawn, the Dungeon Guardian A.I. will actually cause the Skeletron head to follow you at such a slow and steady pace that it should never catch up. In such a case, however, you will take fatal damage from contact and deal 1 damage with every landed attack, or 2 from critical hits, causing fast attacks at ranged to become essential (such as the Space Gun with the full set of Meteor armor); thus, having a set of accessories with critical chance modifiers becomes far more important than damage, defense, or mobility.