Guide:Surviving in the Crimson
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
Like the Corruption, the Crimson is a difficult environment to survive in with its strong enemies that can be very troublesome for new players. Exploring the biome is required to progress in the game, due to the Deathbringer Pickaxe being required to mine Hellstone.
Pre-Hardmode[edit | edit source]
Recommended Gear[edit | edit source]
- Have at least 200 health. Magic users should have at least 100 Mana.
- It is recommended to have at least Silver armor or Tungsten armor. Gold armor or Platinum armor are better although much harder to obtain.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- Melee users should bring Eye of Cthulhu has already been defeated.
or at minimum, or if
- or should definitely be used if obtained.
- An Eater of Souls at bay. or are also great at keeping
- Ranged users should bring a Ice is very easy to obtain, and Torches can be bought from the Merchant. or with . They are easy to craft and farm, as
- Magic users should bring at least Sapphire or Emerald Staff. or are the best available.
- Throwing users should bring a bunch of
, as they aren't too difficult to obtain. can also be used, although they may damage the player if used recklessly.
- If Pinky has been killed, should be crafted, as they are very powerful throwing weapons.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
- Bring with you at least a half stack (15 out 30) of . Some should be brought as a Mage.
- A Grappling Hook is highly recommended, as it can greatly help you navigate the chasms.
- It is also good to bring Platforms, as they help when climbing out of the chasms. or
Exploring the Crimson[edit | edit source]
Unlike the Corruption, the Chasms consist of an entrance to a "cave" instead of multiple, deep pits. This makes exploration easier, although the enemies are more varied and more dangerous.
- The Crimera is the crimson-counterpart of the Eater of Souls. They will hover above you, and sometimes swoop down and attack you. Like their corruption counterpart, they will not submerge in water, and can overwhelm you if they're in a pack. Ranged weapons can easily deal with them, like a good Bow or a Boomerang.
- The Zombie, except taller, and has lot more knockback resistance. This makes it harder to kill with close ranged weapons. is like a
- are the main threat when exploring. On the surface, they can be considered a weaker version of the Face Monster, but in the cave, they can crawl on the walls, making them a lot less vulnerable to knockback, and harder to deal with overall. They are the most common enemy underground, and they will make it hard to explore the cave. Ranged weapons or a Spear should be used.
Destroying the hearts will give you the following messages:
- When the first Heart is broken, the text "A horrible chill goes down your spine..." will appear;
- When the second one is broken, the text "Screams echo around you..." will appear;
- When the third one is broken, the Brain of Cthulhu will spawn, with "Brain of Cthulhu has awoken!" appearing.
Once defeated, the Brain of Cthulhu will drop Crimtane ore and Tissue Samples, which are used for Crimson armor and the Deathbringer Pickaxe.
Hardmode[edit | edit source]
Just like the Corruption, a diagonal strip of Crimson biome will appear on either side of the world, an any Crimson block will start spreading.
The player will also be able to use the Crimson Altars. Destroying them will generate new ores, which are almost mandatory to progress in the game. Smashing 9-12 Altars will be more than enough for most of Hardmode, since more than that won't generate too many new ores. Breaking altars will swarm the player with , so they should be very quick when doing so to avoid dying.dropped by the Wall of Flesh to smash the
Altars are also crafting stations, so it isn't a bad idea to leave one for the special recipes requiring them.
Note that smashing Altars has a chance to infect a random block in the world. This will barely affect the overall spread, but it can infect areas the player tried to protect.
- See also: Guide:Maintaining world purity.
After the altars are smashed, the Crimson should be avoided until better gear is obtained, since Pre-Hardmode weapons and armors won't be enough to deal with the new enemies.
The Underground Crimson[edit | edit source]
As the bare minimum, the best Pre-Hardmode armors of the player's class should be used, such as Molten armor, Necro armor, Jungle armor or Wizard set and Bee armor for Melee, Ranged, Magic and Summoner users respectively. Armors made with Hardmode materials should definitely be used if obtained.
The player should also get a strong Hardmode weapon before venturing in. There are many choices depending on the class used:
- Melee users should grind for an Sword or Spear made with the new ores will also do fine against them. in the Snow biome as it can be easily obtained at the beginning of Hardmode and will last until the Mechanical Bosses are defeated. A
- A Ranged character is better off with the Wall of Flesh or a . The made with the new ores will also do just fine against them. dropped by the
- A Mage may want to farm for a Laser Rifle dropped by the Wall of Flesh until better weapons are obtained. , made with a Hallowed Desert's materials. They can also fish for a , or just use the
- Summoners will need a and , made with Spider Nest's materials.
With good gear, it is now a lot easier to survive in the biome. Once the diagonal strip has been located, the main thing to do is to find a good area to farmand , as the two will be needed for many recipes in the game. The best place would be a wide, open area with a little "safe zone" like an Underground Cabin where the player can take cover from enemies and heal. If no such place is found, with a couple Mining potions or Explosives it can be built.
There are many new enemies that will threaten the player: the Herpling, Floaty Gross, Ichor Sticker, Crimslime, Blood Jelly, Crimson Axe and very rarely the Crimson Mimic. Red Pigrons will also appear on an Underground Snow Biome infected by the Crimson.
- are very dangerous; they are fast, have a lot of knockback resistance and do a lot of damage. They can easily kill a new Hardmode character. However, they can't jump very high, so using a Hook or Wings to stay above them will make them much easier to deal with.
- attack similarly to Wraiths by going through blocks. They also have a small chance to inflict the debuff on hit. They don't have a lot of health, and they are very vulnerable to knockback, so they aren't too hard to deal with. However they can easily catch a player off guard with their ability to go through blocks. They are also more dangerous when dealing with multiple enemies at once.
- are arguably the most dangerous enemy. They have more health than the other enemies, and they shoot an accurate Ichor spit which does a lot of damage and inflicts the , which will reduce defense by 20. They can't attack through blocks however, and their rather big size will get them stuck more frequently on blocks as well as making them easier to hit.
- Slime or Jellyfish, but with higher stats. They aren't very dangerous compared to the other enemies. and act just like a regular
- are an uncommon enemy that can phase through blocks, and can inflict on hit. While this status effect can be devastating, they will stop moving if attacked, so they are fairly easy to deal with.
- should be avoided at all costs, as they are much harder to kill than any other enemy found.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The central cave of the Crimson Chasms makes an excellent arena to kill the Brain of Cthulhu, once you've fitted it with platforms, Campfires, and other conveniences.
- To summon him in the arena, you can break more Crimson Hearts and dash for the arena, or just use a Bloody Spine to summon the Brain at your leisure.
- Even if you can't defeat the Brain outright, killing its Creepers will give you Tissue Samples and Crimtane Ore, eventually letting you make Crimson armor.