Guide:Surviving in the Desert
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
The Desert is one of the main biomes of a Terraria world. The Surface isn't much harder than the Forest, but the Underground Desert contains unique hazards that can make it very dangerous for a new character.
It's optional to explore the Desert, but since it has more loot than regular Caverns, players prefer to explore it instead of regular biomes once they feel like their gear is good enough.
In Hardmode, the Desert will provide the materials for very good weapons that can be obtained at the very beginning of it.
Pre-Hardmode[edit | edit source]
The Underground Desert is extremely dangerous for a new character, since the enemies do much more damage and have higher defense than usual. Hence it is better to be very well prepared. It's recommended to explore it just before or after the Eye of Cthulhu is fought.
Recommended Gear[edit | edit source]
- At least 200 and 100 .
/ or / are the minimum.
- If using magic weapons, the Wizard set with a and provides very big stat bonuses to them.
- Weapons made with Antlion Swarmers or Tomb Crawlers.
or ores should be used. The are preferred due to the ability to kill the enemies from far away, but the can still be useful against the
- If the Eye of Cthulhu has been defeated, their or forms should be used instead.
- If the Corruption or Crimson have been explored, then a / , / or / will do very well.
- If obtained, the or both do extremely well against all enemies.
- The Gem staves are decent weapons with good stats and piercing abilities. A or is the minimum.
- Piercing or explosive weapons such as Tomb Crawlers. or should be brought to easily kill
- Mobility accessories like variants of the and/or are very recommended to explore and avoid enemies more easily.
- A is good for the same reasons.
The Surface[edit | edit source]
There isn't too much to do in the Surface Desert, but at the start of a playthrough, the Sandstorm the place should be left immediately, as the or other enemies can very easily kill a new character.and are both very useful to begin with. However, if there is a
A Pyramid can also be found. This place contains one unique item like the or the , the vanity , and many Gold Coins.
Underground Desert[edit | edit source]
However, the enemies found are very dangerous:
- The most common enemy, the , has massive defense, damage and knockback resistance and charges very fast at a player, so even with good weapons it is still better to avoid combat with them. are another enemy with lower stats but the ability to fly. Due to their big size, they can both be easily stopped by quickly covering their path with blocks.
- The biggest threat are the . They are fast, go through blocks and deal high damage on hit. They are also fairly common for a Worm enemy, so the player should always watch out for the sound of them digging. Due to their high stats they should be treated with caution even with weapons that can hit multiple segments.
Once the Eater of Worlds or the Brain of Cthulhu have been defeated, the player can use the or to mine the , which are the only source of when using the Extractinator. This new material is used for and Bone Throwing Weapons, which are very helpful for the Thrower class.
Hardmode[edit | edit source]
Like every other biome in Hardmode, the Desert becomes a lot more dangerous once it is activated. It is also one of the biomes that can be affected by the spread of the Corruption/Crimson and the Hallow, which give special properties and drops to some of the new enemies spawned.
Recommended gear[edit | edit source]
The Desert can be very tough when starting Hardmode, so it is recommended to be very well equipped before going in.
Armor[edit | edit source]
For the three main classes,, , or are the best available.
A Summoner should use theinstead, as the ore armors don't give any improvements to minions.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- For Melee users
- A or or is the bare minimum. The or are stronger swords with much better stats.
- The or can be easily obtained by grinding in the Snow biome.
- The can be obtained from enemies in the Caverns.
- The Goblin Summoners in a Hardmode Goblin Army. is a very good weapon that is obtained from
- The have decent range, damage and attack speed.
- The are a riskier but extremely powerful weapon.
- For Ranger users
- The Goblin Army is also very good. or are easy to obtain and very strong when paired with or . The from the Hardmode
- The Dark Shards are obtained. are the strongest choice. and are the best guns available. The former should be upgraded to the once enough
- The or are great with , or .
- For Mages
- The and are very strong weapons that can be easily obtained as soon as Hardmode begins.
- The is a very strong weapon as well, dropped by the Goblin Summoner.
- The can kill enemies from a safe distance, as well as being a good secondary weapon.
- or are decent for crowd control.
- For Summoners
- The and are the best minions available at this point in the game.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
- Combat accessories such as the class or the will kill enemies much faster.
- Mobility accessories like , the or the should be brought for mobility.
- Defensive accessories like the or are very useful as well.
Exploring[edit | edit source]
In the Underground Desert, many new enemies will be seen:
- their Vanity set when killed. are grounded enemies, and they are much faster and stronger than Mummies. They rarely drop a piece of
- have the ability to climb walls, making it much faster than usual. Given that the entirety of the Underground Desert is covered with walls, the player should always be cautious. They inflict the debuff on contact.
- Hallow will always on hit, while the or from the Corruption or Crimson will always inflict or , respectively. They drop Ancient Cloth when killed, and either Light or Dark Shards if killing their Hallowed or Corrupted variants. are a weaker enemy, but their stats and design change when the Desert is infected: from the
- are essentially a Hardmode version of Antlion Chargers, as they behave identically and have very high knockback resistance. They have a chance to drop the when killed.
- Tomb Crawlers. They are significantly bigger than other worm enemies, and they are much more aggressive as well. Despite their high stats, they can easily be killed with piercing or exploding weapons. are the Hardmode version of
- Desert Spirit Lamp used for the Spirit Flame, as well as the Vanity Djinn's Curse. can appear in Crimson or Corrupted Desert. They will cast a slow projectile that attempts to home in to the player, and then explode after a short time. It rarely drops the
have the ability to "Swim" through sand blocks, and will quickly lunge at nearby players. They are very common, aggressive and have very high stats, so they can easily kill a player. However they cannot jump very high, so a platform above ground will make them much easier to deal with.
- They have different variants for , or Deserts. These have even higher stats and drop Light or Dark Shards as well.
- The Sand Elemental is a miniboss enemy. It only attacks by summoning three Ancient Storms randomly around the general location of the player. When killed, it drops Forbidden Fragments used for .
While the Sand Elemental's attacks can be easily predicted and dodged, they will limit movement, making the common Sand Sharks and Dune Splicers much harder to avoid. It is recommended to make a platform above ground, as then the Dune Splicers and Sand Sharks won't be able to jump high enough as to reach the player, so the Sand Elemental can be killed much more easily.