Guide:Surviving in the Dungeon
|This is a Guide page.|
This means the page will walk you through a specific task, strategy, or enemy/boss fight.
After defeating Skeletron in a world, the player will gain access to the full Dungeon. This place contains a lot of items and weapons that will ease progression, so players will usually explore it before fighting the Wall of Flesh.
- 1 Pre-Hardmode
- 2 Post-Plantera Dungeon
Pre-Hardmode[edit | edit source]
Recommended Gear[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
- Melee and Ranged players benefit equally from Crimson armor.
- The Corruption exclusive Shadow armor trades the regeneration and the small damage upgrade from Crimson armor for much higher movement and melee speed.
- Meteor or Jungle armor for Magic users. The former combines very well with the , while Jungle armor works better with other weapons.
- Bee armor is the only armor for Summoners Pre-Hardmode.
- Fossil armor is the best choice for Throwing users.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- Melee players should bring the , or the yoyo. The or will help against crowds.
- As for Ranged players, the and are the best guns, while the is the best bow.
- Mages can quickly obtain the from the shelves with books on them. Other weapons like the , or can be used as secondary weapons.
- A Summoner's only choice is the Slime Staff doesn't deal enough damage at this point. , as the
- Throwers will need
- In Expert Mode, the will drop from Skeletron. This weapon is the strongest available for throwers, and the needed for ammunition can be easily obtained after a couple kills in the Dungeon.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
- or better, variants of the and, if playing in Expert Mode, the are essential for movement.
- gives a rather significant boost to weapons.
- are always good when exploring as a mage.
- The Expert mode exclusive is always good for survivability.
Other[edit | edit source]
- At least 300 Health and 200 Mana.
- A stack of torches and .
- A decent for easier exploration.
- The / or , as they are the only ones available that can break the Dungeon Bricks.
- The Dungeon Slimes. can help when looking for
Location[edit | edit source]
The Dungeon can be found on the far left or far right of the map, opposite to the Underground Desert chasm and Jungle, and in the same side of the Snow biome. If you find a desert with a chasm, it can be found on the other side of the map. If the player tries to enter the Dungeon before Skeletron is killed, the Dungeon Guardians will instantly kill them when reaching the Underground depth.
Exploration[edit | edit source]
Just like the Jungle, the Dungeon has a much higher spawn rate than a normal biome, so it is easy to get overwhelmed by enemies. It's better to progress slowly, taking out any Water Candles seen as they will boost the spawn rate even further. The player will have to deal with many Angry Bones, as well as and . The latter two have the ability to attack through blocks, so caution is still needed when taking cover. and Spike Balls can also spawn. They cannot be killed and will do a lot of damage even if they do not directly target the player. are also more common than in other biomes, so a might be useful.
The player may also find the NPC.. She can be saved by right clicking her, and then she will move in to an empty house if it's available. If she is killed after being released, she will still respawn like any other
Other Tips[edit | edit source]
- When there are forks in the corridor, closing them with blocks can stop the Angry Bones from overwhelming you from behind or other directions. This makes it easier to clear one path at a time.
- Moving far enough off-screen causes an inconvenient Spiky Ball or Blazing Wheel to disappear.
- Spikes can be removed with a Pickaxe, or from a distance with Bombs.
- You can disable the Dart Traps by harvesting them with a Pickaxe.
- If the player wants the Ankh Shield, it is better to farm for the in Pre-Hardmode as it is more difficult to get it from the Post Plantera Dungeon.
Post-Plantera Dungeon[edit | edit source]
The dungeon becomes much more dangerous once you defeat Plantera. When it is defeated, the message "Screams are echoing from the dungeon..." will appear and much stronger enemies start to spawn. Additionally, enemies with more than 100 health have a small chance of spawning a , which drops when killed. This new material is used for the Spectre armor, which is the best available for mages until the Moon Lord has been defeated. It is also used to summon the and . The Biome Chests found previously can now be opened with their respective Keys.
Recommended Items[edit | edit source]
Like every other Hardmode environment, it is better to go in well prepared. It isn't a bad idea to defeat the Golem in the Jungle Temple beforehand, as the boss isn't too difficult but it drops very good weapons and accessories.
- Melee users should use Chlorophyte or Turtle armor. If Golem has been defeated, then Beetle armor is available.
- They should use the , , or the .
- Ranged users have access to Shroomite armor, which is the best set available for them.
- The and with are very powerful guns. with s is strong against all enemies, while the or the with s are very strong against crowds. or can also be useful when paired with , due to their high damage, penetration and ricocheting abilities.
- Mages should use Hallowed or Chlorophyte armor until enough Ectoplasm is obtained.
- The or work best for single targets. The or are better against hordes of enemies. The is never bad to have.
- Summoners should already have Tiki armor.
- Their best Minion staves are the Tavernkeep sells, and once you open the Frozen chest, the . or , while the best sentries are the ones that the
Accessories[edit | edit source]
- are a must have at this point in the game.
- or their upgrades help a lot with mobility. If playing on Expert mode, the is better with its ability to dash.
- Any , the or as well as any other combat accessory are always good to have.
- can be useful when healing.
- is useful for negating the many debuffs the enemies inflict.
- Defensive accesories like the or are always welcome.
- are decent for regaining mana as a mage.
Access and Location[edit | edit source]
For fast access to the dungeon it's best to use atrack or a . It's recommended to dig a tunnel down to the main part of the dungeon, so you don't have to maneuver through the entrance shaft. Choose your farming spot carefully. Stay as close to the entrance as possible, so that when you die, you can get your things back with ease. The spot should be protected from monsters spawning above you. Last, but not least, choose a spot where there is more or less equal distribution of brick, slab and tiled walls.
Enemies[edit | edit source]
Enemy spawns depend on the Background Walls of an area. A wall type contains its own variant of the Armored Bones, a Caster enemy, and a Skeleton with a ranged weapon. There is also a low chance that an enemy from another wall type will spawn as well.
Brick Walls[edit | edit source]
- Blue Armored Bones will spawn on them. Compared to the other two, they deal the overall lowest damage but are also the hardest to kill, having higher health, defense and knockback resistance. They inflict the debuff on hit.
- s are the casters of the area. They teleport very frequently and their beams are very hard to predict, but unlike the other two they can't attack through blocks. They inflict the debuff on hit, and have a low chance of dropping the .
- s use a Rocket Launcher to attack. The rocket is very strong and will explode on contact with any tile. They rarely drop their when killed.
- The miniboss can spawn in these walls. They have a lot of health and defense and knockback immunity, making it very hard to kill. Its hammer attack also goes through blocks. Despite this, they aren't very mobile, and they can't attack while taking damage from the Players, so these two traits should be exploited when fighting it. They will rarely drop and/or the when killed.
Slab Walls[edit | edit source]
- Rusty Armored Bones will be found in this area. They have the overall highest damage, and average health and defense. They inflict either or on hit, but never both.
- Spectre Staff. will appear. They shoot three homing projectiles that will inflict the debuff, which will greatly reduce visibility. Because of their high damage and homing projectiles that go through walls, they should be prioritezed. They have a low chance to drop the
- carry a Sniper Rifle, and use it to shoot at players from far away. This attack deals massive damage, so the player should always watch out for them. They drop the and/or when killed.
Tiled Walls[edit | edit source]
- Hell Armored Bones will spawn. They have the overall lowest health and defense stats, while their attack damage is average. They inflict the Debuff which will deal a high amount of damage over time, and it will also stop natural regeneration.
- s are the casters of the area. They shoot a fireball that goes through blocks. This projectile explodes, creating a large fire sphere that lasts for a few seconds and deals massive damage on contact. They should be killed as soon as possible, as their fire can limit the player's movement. They drop the when killed.
- s use their to attack from a distance. While it does a lot of damage, they are unable to attack while being hit, so it will rarely get a chance to shoot if constantly attacked. They rarely drop their weapon when killed.
All Walls[edit | edit source]
Cursed Skull, with the added ability to shoot a projectile.and appear on all wall types. The former is very mobile and does a lot of contact damage, making close ranged combat dangerous. The latter acts like a normal
Other Tips[edit | edit source]
- The dropped by the Armored Bones should be used as it can keep your surroundings lit infinitely without the need to use torches, once you obtain it.
- Put Heart Lanterns and Campfires near your farming spot for faster health regeneration.
- When fighting an enemy, keep shooting for a second or two after they are dead, because you never know when the Dungeon Spirits will spawn. The spirits fly around you rapidly, which makes it difficult to hit them with small-projectile weapons.