- See also: Underground Hallow
The Hallow is a Hardmode surface biome. It is characterized by pastel-colored fairytale graphics, with cyan-colored grass, multicolored trees, and a large rainbow in the background, as well as similarly whimsical-looking (though dangerous) enemies. The Underground Hallow biome can be found directly beneath a naturally-generated Hallow biome.
The Hallow does not exist in newly-generated worlds. It is generated along with a large Underground Hallow biome when the Wall of Flesh is defeated for the first time and the world converts to Hardmode. Once generated, Hallow spreads in a manner similar to Corruption or Crimson. Pearlstone, Pearlsand, and dirt blocks growing Hallowed grass will spread Hallow to neighboring blocks, causing Hallow enemies to spawn over ever-larger areas. Hallow can also be seeded in new areas via Hallowed Seeds, Holy Water, or Blue Solution with the Clentaminator.
The Hallow is the only environment through which the Corruption and Crimson cannot spread at all, apart from the initial Hardmode conversion that takes place when the Wall of Flesh is defeated. Hallow also cannot spread through mud biomes like Jungles or Mushroom Biomes (unlike Corruption/Crimson, which can convert Mud into Dirt).
The Dryad can tell the player the percentage of Hallow and Corruption/Crimson in the world.
Contents[edit | edit source]
NOTE : View Underground Hallow for the mobs that spawn in the cavern layer.
|Characters||Unique Drops||For Sale|
Hallowed Underground Desert:
| From any enemy:
From Light Mummies:
| From Gastropods:
From Rainbow Slimes:
From terrain in
From terrain in
| From Painter:
Spreading[edit | edit source]
Hardmode[edit | edit source]
As soon as Wall of Flesh is defeated, a section of the Hallow spawns. This strip goes from the Underworld to the surface, converting Stone, Sand and Grass in its path into Pearlstone, Pearlsand and Hallowed grass, respectively. The Hallow's stripe can intersect with the Corruption's or Crimson's chasms as well as Floating Islands.
Hallow spreads in a manner very similar to Corruption and Crimson:
- Hallowed grass can spread to Dirt Blocks or grass in the Surface Layer with at least one side exposed to air.
- Stone Blocks can be converted to Pearlstone Blocks.
- Sand Blocks can be converted to Pearlsand Blocks.
- Ice Blocks can be converted to Pink Ice Blocks.
- Pearlstone and pearlsand can spread through any depth, not just the Surface Layer.
- Blocks that are up to three squares away from an existing hallowed block can be converted, even if unhallowable blocks are in the way.
There are also a few differences in the way that the Hallow spreads:
- The Hallow can spread through its vines (but can not "go up" through regular vines).
- The Hallow does not uproot sunflowers, but can still spread beneath them.
- Pearlstone does not seem to create hallowed grass as fast as ebonstone creates corrupt grass.
- The Hallow cannot convert mud or jungle grass.
Killing Plantera slows the spread of Corruption/Crimson/Hallow to 1/3 of its original speed.
Pre-hardmode[edit | edit source]
Hallow does not normally exist before the world enters Hardmode, but can be created with Hallowed Seeds, Holy Water, or the Blue Solution (for use with the Clentaminator) imported from another world. If it is created, it will only spread the same way as pre-hardmode Corruption/crimson: slowly, on the surface, and only through dirt and grass. This means you can safely use other hallowed blocks without creating a biome and converting regular blocks in pre-Hardmode worlds. It still prevents the Corruption from spreading. Furthermore, Hallow-specific mobs will not appear, since they were only designed for Hardmode.
Achievement(s)[edit | edit source]
|Hallowed Be Thy Name • "Your World is Hallowed"|
|Have 50% of your world Hallowed.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- An artificial Hallow biome requires at least 100 hallowed blocks, such as hallowed grass, Pearlstone, Pearlsand, or Pink Ice.
- In Hardmode, all enemies in the Hallow have a chance of dropping a Hallowed Key.
- The Hallow is the only of the three spreading biomes that does not have a respective boss, although all Mechanical Bosses drop Hallowed Bars.
- The Hallow doesn't have an alternate version, unlike the Corruption (which is the Crimson).
- The Hallow can be considered a good place to house NPCs due to the fact that it stops the spread of Corruption or Crimson, which don't allow NPCs to live within a 45 block radius.
- The Corruption or Crimson is unable to overlap the Hallow.
- The Hallow can spread to Grass and Flower Walls.
- The Hallow will sometimes not spawn on the Surface; only underground.
- Dryads do not consider The Hallow to be "bad" like they would with Corruption or Crimson.
- The Hallow can overlap the Corruption and Crimson.
- Upon defeating the wall of flesh, the Hallow can spread into the jungle. Due to the fact the jungle is mostly mud, an un-hallowable block, this can lead to there not being enough hallow in a world to count as its own biome and spawn its own enemies. However, pearlstone and pink water is still visible.
Hallowed Desert[edit | edit source]
When the Hallow spreads through desert, it becomes Hallowed Desert. It is very similar to the Hallow: the music theme is the same, the mobs are the same (except for the Light Mummy and Crystal Thresher), and the background is slightly different.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.2.1: Crimson and Hallow now counteract each other.
- 184.108.40.206: Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is now slowed after killing Plantera instead of any Mechanical Boss.
- 1.1: Introduced.
| Biomes and Structures|
|Surface Layers||Forest • Desert • Ocean • Snow • Jungle • Mushroom • Evil Biome (The Corruption • The Crimson) • The Hallow • Space|
|Underground Layers||Underground • Cavern • Underground Snow • Underground Desert • Underground Jungle • Underground Mushroom • Underground Corruption • Underground Crimson • Underground Hallow • The Underworld|
|Special Biomes||Meteorite • Granite Cave • Marble Cave • Spider Nest • Bee Hive • Dungeon • Lihzahrd Temple|
|Structures and Other Biomes||Living Tree • Enchanted Sword Shrine • Floating Island • Underground Cabin • Chasm • Pyramid • Jungle Shrine • Living Mahogany Tree • Jungle Sanctum • Ruined House • Heart Shrine|