A Harpy is a flying enemy that spawns at high altitudes, typically around Floating Island heights. Prior to Hardmode, they cannot spawn in the vertical section of the map centered around the player's spawn point being around one-tenth of the width of the entire map. This restriction is removed in Hardmode. They move following the Bat AI, and fire feather projectiles in inaccurate bursts of three.
Up to seven Harpies can exist on screen during the day, ten at night, and fifteen during a Blood Moon.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The player could lure one at a time into an enclosed space and kill them one by one.
- The Starfury can be useful for dealing with them, since its stars can deal damage while the player is out of the Harpies' reach.
- Minions, sentries, and homing weapons can also be quite helpful.
- If mining Cloud material or creating a sky lake, it may be best for the player to box themselves in, and ignore the Harpies.
- Using a fast weapon such as a Minishark, Megashark, or any ranged weapon with High Velocity Bullets can easily take care of them, without having to chase them.
- The Harpies' feathers are somewhat slow, but can be difficult to dodge because of their numbers. Timing one's attacks to avoid them, or using a ranged weapon that does not require precision, can greatly increase the player's chances.
- Harpies may not seem dangerous, especially if the player is equipped with later-stage pre-Hardmode armor and weapons, however, at night or in large swarms, especially in Expert mode , the swarm of projectiles, and the Harpies' melee options, can make it difficult to move around the screen. A Cobalt Shield or its upgrades can mitigate this and allow for escape.
- The Harpies' feathers do have a range, and will self-destruct after a certain distance traveled. The feathers can traverse water, albeit at a much slower speed, granting somewhat protection from Harpies, who themselves cannot.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A Harpy is a being from Greek and Roman mythology in the form of a large bird with the face of a human, most often a woman.
- Rarely, if a Harpy Statue happens to spawn in a path of wire from a trap or another statue in the cavern or underground layer and that mechanism is activated, a Harpy can "naturally" spawn outside its natural environment.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.1:
- Feather drop rate increased from 20% to 50%.
- Projectile damage reduced from 30 to 15.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- No longer fire feathers without a clear shot.
- AI changed to reduce wall hugging.
- Harpies are now unaffected by Wood Platforms, rendering AFK grinders ineffective.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Harpy renamed from Harpey.
- No longer make a splash sound when hitting water.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.