Join The Fan Lab, a private Fandom research community for users in the US and UK where you will be asked to share your opinions on all things gaming and entertainment! Click here to see if you qualify
|Use time||30 (Average)|
|Tooltip||Permanently increases maximum life by 20|
- Internal Item ID: 29
A Life Crystal is a consumable item that drops when a Crystal Heart, found in the Underground and Cavern layers, is broken with a pickaxe or drill. When used, it permanently increases the player's health capacity by 20, adding a red heart to the player's health bar, while also restoring 20 health. A Life Crystal also has a 1/15 (6.67%) chance to drop from a Golden or Titanium Crate.
Up to 15 Life Crystals can be used, increasing health capacity by 300 (15 hearts). Added to the 100 health new players begin with (5 hearts), a total of 400 health (20 hearts) can be achieved. Additional Life Crystals can no longer be used at that point, and attempting to do so will not consume the item. Extra Life Crystals acquired thereafter can be sold for coins, or used to craft Heart Lanterns.
After a world converts to Hardmode, and after the 400 health maximum is reached from consuming Life Crystals, Life Fruits can then be used to increase health capacity further, to a maximum of 500 (20 Life Fruits).
|Life Crystals used|
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Life Crystal is not a healing potion in the traditional sense. It only restores health when used if below 400 maximum health, and restores less health percentage-wise than a regular healing potion with the same flat amount of healing (like Bottled Water), because it increases the maximum health capacity at the same time. For instance, restoring 20 health via normal means (Bottled Water) with a maximum health of 100 results in 20% health being restored, whereas using a Life Crystal with a maximum health of 100 results in a new maximum health of 120, and therefore only 16.67% health being restored.
- There are certain maximum health thresholds for specific events to occur. See Health § Notes for details.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Life Crystals can be considered the health counterpart to Mana Crystals.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Now has a 1/15 (6.67%) chance to be found in Golden Crates and Titanium Crates when fishing.
- Desktop 1.1: Now sells for
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Due to the addition of Life Fruits, hearts are now all red; from 420 health and onward, hearts are smaller like the other versions, and gold hearts represent Life Fruit.
- Mobile 1.1.5536: Can now be used up to 400 HP, instead of the former 200 HP. From 420 health and onward, hearts are represented by a gold layer on top of existing hearts (as if the player had used Life Fruits).
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.