|Knockback||3 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||10 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||Shoots a scorching ray of heat|
- Heat Ray
The Heat Ray is a Hardmode, post-Golem magic weapon that has a 12.5% (1 in 8) chance to be dropped by Golem. It auto-fires beams which provide significant illumination and instantaneously strike their targets.
Its beams do not pierce enemies.
Its beams can pierce an infinite number of enemies.
Its best modifier is Mythical.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Heat Ray can be considered a direct upgrade to the Laser Rifle, as it has better damage, piercing, and precision.
- When wielding the Heat Ray, two fuel tanks will appear on the player's back, overriding the display of Wings when not in flight. However, the display of the Hoverboard overrides the tanks.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The instantaneous speed and perfect accuracy of the Heat Ray's beam makes it particularly effective for dealing with fast, distant, or flying enemies.
- The Heat Ray excels at outputting high damage to single targets, and, despite its lack of homing abilities, is a great weapon for dynamic and fast-moving bosses such as the Empress of Light.
- While its quick fire rate also makes it a viable weapon for crowd control, the Staff of Earth (another Golem drop) is better suited for such a purpose.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This weapon and its tooltip are references to H.G Wells' The War of the Worlds, in which Martians fire Heat-Rays, and exultantly cry "Aloo!" or "Oolaa" in the later stage adaptions while waging war in their giant death machines (The tooltip may be an allusion to one line in particular from the musical stage adaptation; wherein the track Thunderchild contains the lyric "Flashing heat rays pierced the deck").
- Even when the player is out of mana, the tanks on the back of the Heat Ray appear to still be full of liquid.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Damage increased from 55 to 80.
- Use Time decreased from 16 to 10.
- Can no longer pierce and hit multiple enemies.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.