|Placeable||(1 wide × 1 high)|
|Use time||15 (Very fast)|
“The underworld is made of a material called hellstone. It's perfect for making weapons and armor.
Hellstone is an ore that can be found in The Underworld. Mining it requires at least a Nightmare/Deathbringer Pickaxe. Hellstone in the Underworld emits a faint glow and releases a half-tile of lava when mined. Hellstone tools are among the most powerful that can be acquired in Pre-Hardmode, rivaled only by two fish themed tools that can be caught from fishing, the Sawtooth Shark and Rockfish.
Hellstone inflicts the Burning debuff on players who touch it. Items that protect the player from fire blocks (including the Obsidian Skull, Obsidian Shield, Obsidian Horseshoe, Obsidian Water Walking Boots, Lava Waders, and Obsidian Skin Potions) will allow players to touch it without incurring fire damage. NPCs and Enemies do not receive damage from Hellstone.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
|Flask of Fire ( )||Imbuing Station|
|Flask of Fire ( )|
|Obsidian Chest||Work Bench|
|Obsidian Sink ( )|
|Obsidian Sink ()|
|Cinder Wall (4) ()||Work Bench and Ecto Mist|
|Ember Wall (4) ()|
|Magma Wall (4) ()|
|Smouldering Stone Wall (4) ()|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Hellstone will not create lava if mined outside of the Underworld.
- The Spelunker buff will not light up Hellstone, and the Metal Detector (and upgrades) will also not show Hellstone nearby. However, the Dangersense buff will. Nevertheless, it can be found easily due to the sparks it produces and its contrast to the Ash Blocks.
- In Hardmode, Hellstone can be destroyed with Dynamite and Bombs.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Lava can be farmed by repeatedly mining and placing Hellstone in The Underworld.
- Placing gravity-affected Blocks such as Sand Blocks on top of Hellstone before mining will keep the Hellstone from inflicting damage.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hellstone, Meteorite, Luminite, and Obsidian are the only ores that do not have "ore" in the name.
- It is the only ore whose bar requires a material in addition to its ore.
- In the real world, silver nitrate is sometimes called "Hellstone".
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Changed item texture from to .
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Changed block texture from to .
- Desktop 1.2:
- Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- No longer causes invincibility frames when touched, instead giving the Burning Debuff.
- Desktop 1.1:
- Desktop 1.0.5: Now has a sparkle effect.
- Desktop 1.0.2:
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.