We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
|Type||Ore – Crafting material|
|Use time||14 (Very Fast)|
|Debuff tooltip||Losing life and slow movement|
|Internal Item ID: 174|
|Internal Tile ID: 58|
- For strategies on mining Hellstone, see Guide:Mining Techniques#Mining Hellstone.
Hellstone is an ore that can be found in the Underworld. Mining Hellstone requires at least a Nightmare/Deathbringer Pickaxe (≥65% Mining Power) or better. Hellstone in the Underworld emits a faint glow and releases a half-tile of lava when mined, a full tile on Expert Mode. Hellstone tools are among the most powerful that can be acquired in Pre-hardmode, rivaled only by the fish themed tools that can be caught from fishing, the Reaver Shark, Sawtooth Shark, and Rockfish.
Hellstone inflicts the Burning debuff on players who touch it. Items that protect the player from fire blocks (including the Obsidian Skull, Obsidian Shield, Obsidian Horseshoe, Ankh Shield, Obsidian Water Walking Boots, Lava Waders, and Obsidian Skin Potions) will allow players to touch it without incurring fire damage.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Lava can be farmed by repeatedly mining and placing Hellstone in the Underworld.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Hellstone will not create lava if mined outside of the Underworld.
- The Spelunker buff will not light up Hellstone, and the Metal Detector (and upgrades) will also not show Hellstone nearby. However, the Dangersense buff will. Nevertheless, it can be found easily due to the sparks it produces and its contrast to the ash blocks.
- In Hardmode, Hellstone can be destroyed with Dynamite and Bombs.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hellstone, Meteorite, Luminite, and Obsidian are the only ores that do not have "ore" in the name.
- It is the only ore whose bar requires a material in addition to its ore.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.1: Inventory sprite updated.
- 184.108.40.206: Placed sprite updated.
- Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- No longer causes invincibility frames when touched, instead giving the Burning Debuff.
- 1.1: Hellstone can now be destroyed by dynamite or bombs while in Hardmode. Rarity changed from White to Green.
- 1.0.6: Hellstone no longer emits light, and now releases lava when mined, but only in The Underworld.
- 1.0.5: Now has a sparkle effect.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Hellstone |
|Ore • Bar • Brick • Brick Wall Pickaxe • Hamaxe • Greatsword • Molten Fury • Phoenix Blaster • Imp Staff • Flamarang • Armor Flask of Fire • Hellfire Arrow • Sharanga|