|Debuff tooltip||Losing life and slowed movement|
The underworld is made of a material called hellstone. It's perfect for making weapons and armor.
Hellstone is an ore that can be found in The Underworld. Mining it requires at least a Nightmare/Deathbringer Pickaxe. Hellstone in the Underworld emits a faint glow and releases a half-tile (full tile ) of lava when mined. Hellstone tools are among the most powerful that can be acquired in Pre-Hardmode, rivaled only by the fish themed tools that can be caught from fishing, the Reaver Shark, Sawtooth Shark, and Rockfish.
Hellstone inflicts the Burning debuff on players who touch it. Items that protect the player from fire blocks (including the Obsidian Skull, Obsidian Shield, Obsidian Horseshoe, Obsidian Water Walking Boots, Lava Waders, and Obsidian Skin Potions) will allow players to touch it without incurring fire damage.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Hellstone will not create lava if mined outside of the Underworld.
- The Spelunker buff will not light up Hellstone, and the Metal Detector (and upgrades) will also not show Hellstone nearby. However, the Dangersense buff will. Nevertheless, it can be found easily due to the sparks it produces and its contrast to the Ash Blocks.
- In Hardmode, Hellstone can be destroyed with Dynamite and Bombs.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Lava can be farmed by repeatedly mining and placing Hellstone in The Underworld.
- Placing gravity-affected Blocks such as Sand Blocks on top of Hellstone before mining will keep the Hellstone from inflicting damage.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hellstone, Meteorite, Luminite, and Obsidian are the only ores that do not have "ore" in the name.
- It is the only ore whose bar requires a material in addition to its ore.
- In the real world, silver nitrate is sometimes called "Hellstone".
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Inventory sprite updated.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Placed sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- No longer causes invincibility frames when touched, instead giving the Burning Debuff.
- Desktop 1.1: Hellstone can now be destroyed by dynamite or bombs while in Hardmode. Rarity changed from White to Green.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Hellstone no longer emits light, and now releases lava when mined, but only in The Underworld.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Now has a sparkle effect.
- Desktop 1.0.2:
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.