|Use time||13 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||Wooden arrows turn into flaming bats|
The Hellwing Bow is a bow found in Shadow Chests found in the Underworld. It can also be found in the Obsidian Lock Box found in Obsidian Crates and Hellstone Crates. It converts normal Wooden Arrows into flaming bat projectiles that travel in a semi-straight line and can pierce infinitely. This is countered by the fact that the bats are fired in a ~30° cone and therefore can be very inaccurate at long distances. Additionally, the bats will dissipate once hitting a surface. Other arrows will not lose their special properties, but will inherit the inaccuracy of the bow.
Its best modifier is Unreal.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This bow is very inaccurate and has a tendency to fire arrows at a steep angle which will usually result in the projectile hitting a wall or the floor rather than the target, especially if used against small enemies or from a long distance.
- The flaming bat projectiles can pierce infinitely. This means if targets are in a long line, all targets can be affected.
- The flaming bat projectiles will not allow for recovery of the arrow used to fire it.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- This bow, while significantly inaccurate, deals unusually high damage at its rate of fire for pre-Hardmode weapons. It is best used with Wooden Arrows, and at closer ranges or on large targets to lower the effects of its occasional misfires.
- In addition, worm-type enemies can suffer extreme amounts of damage from the flaming bat projectiles due to the pierce effect, making the Underworld's native Bone Serpents easier to deal with.
- This bow is very effective against the Wall of Flesh, especially if paired with Hellfire Arrows.
- Because of its fast use time, infinite piercing, and comparatively high knockback, the Hellwing Bow is a very good crowd control tool. It is even viable throughout early Hardmode. The Endless Quiver, an ammunition type well suited for the bow, then also becomes available.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Hellwing Bow can be considered an indirect upgrade of the The Bee's Knees.
- This bow fires just a little slower than the Phantasm , making it the second fastest firing bow-type weapon, even faster than any repeater. On the contrary, it has the lowest velocity of all arrow-firing weapons.
- On the Console version and Mobile version, existing Sharangas were replaced with Hellwing Bows upon updating to the 22.214.171.124 equivalent.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Damage increased from 20 to 22.
- Use Time decreased from 14 to 13.
- Knockback increased from 5 to 5.5.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11: Introduced.