|AI Type||Attacker AI|
|Banner||Hemogoblin Shark Banner|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Chum Bucket (7-10)50%
- Internal NPC ID: 620
The Hemogoblin Shark is a Hardmode enemy that can be spawned by fishing during a Blood Moon event. When the bobber dips and the player attempts to reel in a fish, a Hemogoblin Shark, among other enemies, has a chance to spawn within a few blocks of the bobber in place of a fish. The Hemogoblin Shark can move incredibly fast on land, swim quickly in water, jump very high, and can use a ranged blood vomit attack. This makes it a dangerous enemy for those starting out in Hardmode.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Hemogoblin Shark is immune to lava and is unimpeded by liquids. It is not, however, immune to the On Fire! debuff from non-lava sources.
- It can run at just enough speed to outrun even the Terraspark Boots on ground.
- The Sonar Potion will detect if a Blood Moon enemy is about to be hooked (it will display enemies in red text).
- Using the Chum Caster will greatly increase the chances of hooking Blood Moon enemies.
- The Hemogoblin Shark has a "blood spit" ability, which it can use to attack players from a distance.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Building a platform high above your fishing spot allows you to dodge the Hemogoblin Shark's lunging attacks, though it can still hit you with its blood spit attack.
- The Flying Knife is an effective weapon if the Hemogoblin Shark gets stuck in a crevice.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name "Hemogoblin Shark" is a portmanteau of "hemoglobin," an oxygen-carrying protein found in vertebrates which is responsible for giving blood its red color, and "goblin shark," a rare and ancient species of shark native to the deep waters of the Eastern Atlantic.
- "Hemogoblin" is also an anagram of "hemoglobin."
- The Bestiary entry for the Hemogoblin Shark: "Half-shark, half-goblin, completely murderous! One of the numerous reasons to just stay home during a Blood Moon."
- The Bestiary entry — "Half-shark, half-goblin, completely murderous!" — references the Minishark's tooltip.
- It is the only non-Old One's Army event enemy to have Attacker AI.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.