Herbs are plants used to craft potions. They can be found all across the world or in Herb Bags, and can be harvested with almost any weapon or tool. Each herb will bloom when certain requirements are met. Herbs harvested while blooming will drop 1-3 seeds of their kind in addition. Herbs appear randomly on their respective soil but can also be planted in that soil with their kind of seed.
Types[edit | edit source]
|Plant||Seeds||Native Biome||Suitable soil||Blooming condition|
Internal Item ID: 315
|Underground||Dirt or Mud||Randomly|
Internal Item ID: 313
|Surface||Pure or Hallowed grass||Daytime (4:30 AM to 7:29 PM)|
Internal Item ID: 316
|Corruption, Crimson||Ebonstone, Corrupt grass, Crimstone, or Crimson grass||Blood Moon and Full Moon at Nighttime (7:30 PM to 4:29 AM)|
Internal Item ID: 318
|Underworld||Ash|| Sunset (3:45 PM to 7:30 PM) unless it is raining|
Submersion in lava
Internal Item ID: 314
|Jungle||Jungle grass||Nighttime (7:30 PM to 4:29 AM)|
Internal Item ID: 2358
|Snow||Snow, Ice||Enough time having passed|
Internal Item ID: 317
|Desert||Sand or Pearlsand|| Rain|
Submersion in water
Growth[edit | edit source]
Herb growth has three distinct stages:
- Sprout Stage – A very small stump or bud of the plant is noticeably growing out of the ground. This stage can be observed at the moment when seeds are just sown. Trying to harvest the plant at this stage will yield neither an herb nor seeds (not even the seeds that were planted in the first place).
- Mature Stage – The plant's vegetative parts show reasonable growth, and are quite noticeable. Flowers are absent, however. Harvesting at this point will yield an herb but no seeds. The player can however use the Staff of Regrowth at this stage to yield seeds, and may be favorable over waiting for the herb to bloom.
- Blooming Stage – This is characterized by the appearance of flowers (possibly with other secondary effects, such as sparks, glows, flashes of light, etc.) and will occur only when the required conditions are met. Weather or event-dependent blooming will last for the duration of these (e.g. Moonglow blooms at night and closes during the day). Generally, this is the best stage at which to harvest plants, as doing so will yield both an herb and its seeds. These seeds can be replanted to regenerate the supplies of herbs, or may be used to initiate farming (if their quantity is large enough).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Although each herb has a "native" biome, they can randomly appear anywhere as long as the appropriate block (soil) is present. For example, building a skybridge in Space out of bare dirt will cause Blinkroot to appear.
- A herb will bloom on every occasion which provides its blooming conditions, not just once. For example, Moonglow will bloom each time it is night.
- Planter Boxes and Clay Pots can grow any type of herb, bypassing requirement of a suitable soil. Using them also avoids the problem of swinging tools breaking nearby herbs.
- Herb seeds are named after their herb, e.g. Blinkroot Seeds. There are also plain Seeds that are ammunition for the Blowpipe. These latter seeds cannot be planted.
- All herbs sell for
20*20 , while their seeds sell for 16*16 .
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Herb seeds can be used to create herb farms. A Dart Trap can be used to quickly harvest herbs growing on soil, however herbs growing in Clay Pots or in Planter Boxes are harvested with a pickaxe or, for a better profit, a Staff of Regrowth.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced Shiverthorn.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Introduced Blinkroot, Daybloom, Deathweed, Fireblossom, Moonglow, Waterleaf.