- Internal Item ID: 54
Hermes Boots are an accessory that can be found in Underground, Underground Desert, and Underground Jungle chests. When equipped, they allow the player to gain a movement speed boost after running for a certain distance continuously. The speed will continue increasing until maximum speed is attained. At full sprint, they will increase the player's horizontal movement speed by about 40%. (See Sprinting accessories for more information on the sprint effect).
The Hermes Boots, the Flurry Boots, and the Sailfish Boots have identical functionality, with their only differences being aesthetic. In the case of the Hermes Boots, the user will leave a lasting trail of small dust clouds as they run, which persists for a few seconds.
All three listed boots are interchangeable when crafting Spectre Boots.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This item increases the player's base speed from 15 mph to 30 mph.
- The Slow debuff only affects the player's regular movement speed, not their maximum movement speed. Therefore, when running with the Hermes Boots while slowed, the final speed will be unaffected, although it will take longer to get there.
- Accessory dyes will change the color of both the Boots and the dust trail they leave behind.
- When searching for Hermes Boots, search in the underground layer instead of the caverns, because other loot can lower your chances of finding them from ~1/8 to ~1/10.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Hermes Boots, as well as Flurry Boots and Sailfish Boots, are particularly useful for speedruns, as they can greatly shorten running time.
- One can engage the speed ability of the boots immediately on a flat or relatively flat surface by shooting a single-lined grappling hook in front of them at the ground in the desired direction (while simultaneously using the movement keys to move that direction) and immediately pressing ↷ Jump to disengage the hook, using the speed of the grappling hook as a jump start for the boots. The player gets a faster jump start by shooting it nearly parallel to the ground, as the farther the hook lands from the player, the faster they are pulled.
- The Hermes Boots can be a very helpful item in early pre-hardmode, and if the player is lucky, they can obtain the upgraded versions before fighting the Wall of Flesh. However, if the player has not had luck with finding the Goblin Tinkerer, the Hermes Boots also work well with the Aglet and Anklet of the Wind, which will further increase speed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Hermes Boots are a reference to Hermes, god of trade, roads, sports, and travelers, and emissary and messenger of the gods in Ancient Greek religion and mythology. He is known for his winged sandals, the talaria, and his incredible speed.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.2: Equipped sprite updated.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Inventory sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2: Inventory sprite updated.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.