Hornets and Moss Hornets are dangerous flying enemies found in the Underground Jungle. They follow the Flying AI, floating just out of reach and then charging the player, while also firing Stingers that have a 1 in 3 chance to inflict the Poisoned debuff to the player for 10 seconds. These projectiles cannot be destroyed with weapons, and travel at about the same speed as the darts from a Dart Trap. Hornets shoot these stingers more often in Expert mode. All hornets drop the Bezoar, however only regular hornets (and their variants) drop Stingers, while Hardmode Moss Hornets drop Tattered Bee Wing.
Hornets are immune to the Poisoned, Confused, and Venom debuffs.
There are several variants of Hornet, most of which have identical drops. Exceptions are the Hardmode Moss Hornet and the Dragon Hornet.
- Though the Dragon Hornet appears to have one stinger like the Hornet, it can drop up to three.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Will no longer drop the Ancient Cobalt Helmet and the Ancient Cobalt Leggings together.
- Desktop 1.2: Health and damage reduced by 4% and 24% respectively.
- Desktop 1.1: Melee damage reduced from 45/38/32 to 40/34/28 respectively.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Poisonous stinger projectile added.
- Hornets are now correctly unable to enter water.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Should not enter water from now on.
- Doesn't make a splash sound when hitting water.
- Variants Big Stinger and Little Stinger introduced.
- Hornets no longer drop Jungle armor, which is instead crafted by the player.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Hornets no longer appear as if they are about to flip over while flying.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced along with Dragon Hornet variant.