Hornets are dangerous flying enemies found in the Underground Jungle. They follow the Flying AI, floating just out of reach and then charging the player, while also firing Stingers that have a 1 in 3 chance to inflict the Poisoned debuff to the player for 10 seconds. These projectiles cannot be destroyed with weapons, and travel at about the same speed as the darts from a Dart Trap. Hornets shoot these stingers more often in Expert mode.
Variants[edit | edit source]
There are several variants of Hornet, they have identical drops.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Moss Hornets contribute towards the total for dropping the Hornet Banner, however the banner has no effect on them.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Though the Dragon Hornet appears to have one stinger like the Hornet, it can drop up to three.
See also[edit | edit source]
- enemy - similar, but much less dangerous
- Bee Mount - a rideable bee mount
- Hornet minion - a hornet minion which fights enemies
- Baby Hornet pet - a hornet pet (which will not fight)
- Tiphia pet - a tiphia pet sharing almost the exact same appearance (which will do 1 damage to enemies every ~0.3 seconds, but not chase them)
- Hardmode Hornet type enemy -
- Vortex Pillar Hornet type enemy -
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Hornets will no longer shoot at you while Stealthed.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Will no longer drop the Ancient Cobalt Helmet and the Ancient Cobalt Leggings together.
- Desktop 1.2: Health and damage reduced by 4% and 24% respectively.
- Now have a chance to drop Ancient Cobalt armor when killed.
- Desktop 1.1: Melee damage reduced from 45/38/32 to 40/34/28 respectively.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Poisonous stinger projectile added.
- Hornets are now correctly unable to enter water.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Should not enter water from now on.
- Doesn't make a splash sound when hitting water.
- Variants Big Stinger and Little Stinger introduced.
- Hornets no longer drop Jungle armor, which is instead crafted by the player.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Hornets no longer appear as if they are about to flip over while flying.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Removed Dragon Hornet. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Removed Dragon Hornet. ()
- Console 1.02: Dragon Hornet drops added.
- Console-Release: Introduced along with Dragon Hornet variant.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52: Removed Dragon Hornet.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced along with Dragon Hornet variant.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced along with Dragon Hornet variant.