Wall of Flesh
|AI Type||Wall of Flesh AI|
|Debuff tooltip||You have seen something nasty, there is no escape.|
|Duration||While the player is within 1800 feet (900 blocks) from the boss.|
|Debuff tooltip||You are being sucked into the mouth|
|Duration||When the player is within 1800 feet (900 blocks) behind the boss.|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Healing Potion (5-15)100%
"The master and core of the world..."
The Wall of Flesh is the final and strongest pre-Hardmode boss, spawnable only in The Underworld. Once it is defeated, the world permanently converts to Hardmode, which brings new content and challenges.
To defeat the Wall of Flesh, the player must attack either its eyes or its mouth. They all share the same life counter, so attacking any of the three will deplete the total health of the boss. However, the eyes have less defense (thus taking more damage) than the mouth. Its other parts are intangible to weapons, so attacking those will not deplete its health.
While the Wall of Flesh is alive, the music Boss 2 will play.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
The Wall of Flesh is summoned immediately when a Guide Voodoo Doll is destroyed by being dropped into lava in the Underworld while the Guide is alive, killing the Guide. Dropping the doll into lava outside of Underworld or when the Guide is not alive will not spawn it, and the Voodoo Doll will be destroyed with no effect. In the Desktop version, the Wall of Flesh can also be summoned by letting the Guide be killed in the Underworld while the Guide is in contact with lava. Using this method, the Guide can die by any means, either from a player, an enemy or the environment, as long as he is touching lava when he dies.
The Wall of Flesh's sweep direction is determined by its spawn location. Spawning it anywhere left of the center of the world will cause it to sweep from left to right, while spawning it right of center will cause it to sweep right to left (regardless of the direction the Doll was thrown). Maximum fight space can be achieved by spawning it at the extreme right or left of the world, though these areas have fewer natural structures and may require additional lava survival gear or construction. Be aware of the fact that The Wall of Flesh might not fight but just leave the battle if you spawn it too close to the edge.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
The Wall of Flesh is very large, occupying the entire screen vertically. Once spawned, it slowly sweeps across the map in a single direction, forcing the player to constantly move away for the duration of the fight, while also contending with the Underworld's usual hazards. It must be killed before it reaches the other end of the map, otherwise, it will despawn and all players in The Underworld will die (with the unique death message "<Player name> was licked.").
Once the Wall of Flesh has spawned, all players within 1800 feet will be inflicted with the Horrified debuff. The debuff lasts until either the player or the Wall of Flesh dies. If a player dies and then returns to the battle, they will again be inflicted with the debuff. While this debuff is active, players cannot flee the battle, i.e. attempting to escape the Underworld via a Magic/Ice Mirror, Recall Potion, Teleporter, or running far ahead of the Wall and leaving, will cause the player to die instantly with the unique death message "<Player name> tried to escape."
Attempting to leave the Underworld or to get behind the Wall of Flesh will inflict The Tongue debuff. When it is activated, a tendril will snatch the player and draw them into the Wall of Flesh's mouth up to a speed of 56 mph, ignoring blocks in the way, and dealing high damage to the player (50 damage per second). The player will be unable to move or use items while the debuff is active.
The Wall of Flesh moves faster as its health depletes, increasing in speed after reaching 75% (6000 / 8400 / 10710), 50% (4000 / 5600 / 7140), 25% (2000 / 2800 / 3570), and 10% (800 / 1120 / 1428) of its health. In Expert Mode, it accelerates even further with additional increases at 66% (7392 / 9424), 33% (3696 / 4712), 5% (560 / 714), 3.5% (392 / 499), and 2.5% (280 / 357) maximum health. At extremely low health levels, it can reach up to 50 mph (as compared to the Hermes Boots at only 30 mph, Lightning Boots at 34, and the Bunny Mount at 38). Such extreme speeds will either require the player to use a Minecart or kill the boss very quickly.
- The Wall of Flesh has small mouths called The Hungry, each attached by a long vein, which move towards and damage players. As the Wall of Flesh's main body takes damage, they deal more damage and become more resistant to attacks. When sufficiently damaged, they detach and fly towards players at high speed.
- The Wall of Flesh's eyes fire lasers. As its health depletes, the lasers increase in damage and frequency, to the point where they barely stop.
- The Wall of Flesh "burps" Leeches from its mouth that chase players. These will also always / with a 1/5 (20%) chance drop a Heart when killed.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
When the Wall of Flesh is killed, it leaves its drops in a midair frame of Demonite Bricks for Corruption worlds, or Crimtane Brick for Crimson worlds. One drop is always the Pwnhammer, which is required to generate Hardmode ores in the world.
- In the Old-gen console version and , the frame is always made of Demonite Bricks. version
- In Expert Mode, its dropped Treasure Bag includes a Demon Heart (first time only), which provides the player an additional (6th) accessory slot.
- In Master Mode, the player starts out with a 6th accessory slot, so the Demon Heart adds a 7th.
Hardmode[edit | edit source]
After defeating the Wall of Flesh for the first time, the status message "The ancient spirits of light and dark have been released." displays and the world converts to Hardmode. Hardmode brings new biomes, new and tougher enemies, and a vast array of new equipment.
Two diagonal stripes of Hallow and Corruption or Crimson form in a "V" pattern from the center of the Underworld, all the way to the surface. Corruption/Crimson and Hallow will spread at a much faster rate, eventually covering large areas of the world if no action is taken.
Components[edit | edit source]
|AI Type||The Hungry AI|
|Damage||30/60/90 (WoF health >75%)|
45/90/135 (WoF health 75–50%)
60/120/180 (WoF health 50–25%)
75/150/225 (WoF health <25%)
|Defense||10/16 (WoF health >75%)|
20 (WoF health 75–50%)
30 (WoF health 50–25%)
40 (WoF health <25%)
- Internal NPC ID: 115
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Being able to summon the Wall of Flesh depends on the Guide being alive. He cannot respawn if it is nighttime or there is an event in progress. Due to this, the waiting time between multiple fights is often much greater than with other bosses. Timing the fight to finish just before dawn has a chance to allow two or even more fights, especially if the Guide already has an assigned House.
- It is possible for the Guide to respawn while the Wall of Flesh is alive. Dropping another Guide Voodoo Doll into lava during the fight will kill the Guide again, but will not summon a second Wall of Flesh.
- Throwing the Guide Voodoo Doll into a lava pool above The Underworld will only kill the Guide and destroy the Doll, without spawning the Wall of Flesh.
- Like The Destroyer and Moon Lord, Wall of Flesh is one of the few bosses that does not despawn based on player distance. Once summoned, it only despawns once it reaches the far edge of the world, which also kills the player, if they were there.
- This also means that it will not despawn upon player death, possibly allowing one to carry on with the fight if they reach the underworld fast enough before the Wall of Flesh reaches the end.
- The Wall of Flesh's eyes move up and down on its body to avoid any blocks they encounter. Solid blocks and liquids 4–5 tiles above and beneath the eyes will cause them to shift their positions.
- Although the eyes and mouth of the Wall of Flesh are immune to numerous debuffs, The Hungry are only immune to Confused.
- In a For the worthy world, the Wall of Flesh's eyes and mouth are much smaller, while The Hungry are much larger.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If you are not ready to fight the Wall of Flesh, avoid letting a Voodoo Demon drop its Guide Voodoo Doll into Underworld lava.
- For this reason, try to avoid killing Voodoo Demons in the outer quarters of the world, as there are no Ruined Houses and thus more lava on the far edges of the world.
- If the Wall of Flesh was recently summoned or the Guide was recently killed in some other way, make sure the Guide has respawned before attempting to summon the Wall of Flesh again. The housing menu as well as the map can be used to see if the Guide is present in the world.
- If one wishes to farm the Wall of Flesh, consider making a house in the underworld above lava with actuators on the floor.
- As soon as the guide is inside the housing, activate the actuators then quickly deactivate them. This way, the guide can respawn in the same housing and is ready to be farmed
- Mobility-enhancing items, such as Gravitation Potion, Rocket Boots or one of their upgrades, and various hooks can make traversing The Underworld much easier. Also, flying mounts such as the Honeyed Goggles are good to go over the pools of lava. Similarly, items like Obsidian Skin Potions, Lava Charm, Lava Waders, or an Obsidian Rose can mitigate The Underworld's many lava pools and other ambient hazards.
- versionHeart Arrows will freeze the Wall of Flesh in place, as long as the arrows hit its mouth.
- Beenades and Molotov Cocktails are highly effective throwing weapons against the Wall of Flesh, especially in Expert Mode.
- Melee weapons are not generally recommended for fighting the Wall of Flesh for the first time, because the close range of this class results in a sizable amount of contact damage. Certain melee weapons with extended range, like the Dark Lance or a yoyo, might prove useful.
- Equipment that inflicts On Fire! are effective against The Hungry.
- An effective and common terrain preparation consists of building a long bridge (at least 500 tiles long in normal mode). Wood Platforms or Hay blocks are suitable materials due to their abundance. Ruined Houses and hills of ash on the bridge should be cleared to avoid getting stuck during the fight.
- Making the bridge out of Explosion-proof tiles (such as Dungeon Bricks) and using Dynamite can be extremely effective if the player times their throws well.
- For rangers, a hilly platform can help avoiding the boss's lasers. Shoot at the Wall of Flesh from the top of one hill (or slightly behind it) and move to the next hill once it gets too close.
- The Wall of Flesh reacts differently to Ash Blocks. Using these for the bridge will cause both eyes to constantly stay above it.
- Build a long Minecart Track instead of a plain platform because the player can keep up with the boss. This is even more useful in Expert Mode because of its high speed (50 mph) towards the end of the fight. Even when using the default Wooden Minecart, the player can travel faster than the Wall of Flesh, at 51 mph.
- Focus on The Hungry first before significantly damaging the Wall itself. The Hungry's damage and defense are boosted as the body takes damage, which will make them more difficult to kill if left for later.
- Attacking the eyes causes the most damage, as they have the lowest defense.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- – According to the official game lore, the Wall of Flesh is the world's guardian. Once it is defeated, the world itself will search for a new guardian to take its place, and the Hallow is released as a temporary guardian.
- The Wall of Flesh was inspired by the Demon Wall from the Japanese science fantasy video game series Final Fantasy.
- The Wall of Flesh is the only boss (aside from the Celestial Pillars) that does not despawn when the player dies in singleplayer. In multiplayer, the Queen Bee does not despawn either.
- The Hungry are the only Underworld enemy not immune to the On Fire! debuff.
- Because killing the Wall of Flesh creates strips of Hallow and Corruption/Crimson, if it is defeated near the middle of the map, it may drop a Soul of Light or Soul of Night on death, proving that the world is in fact converted to Hardmode before the status message displays.
- The lead developer of Terraria, Redigit, has confirmed that the Guide is the Wall of Flesh on the official Terraria Discord.
- The Wall of Flesh is the only pre-Hardmode boss that has at least 10,000 HP in Expert mode (not counting Skeletron's hands and the Eater of Worlds's multiple segments).
- The loot's frame always spawned at the Wall's mouth, also the size of the frame is correlated with the size of the mouth. So, if the mouth's size changes (ie. with external mod or For The Worthy seed) the frame's size also changes.
- It is one of the only Boss that drops mounts in Master Mode. The other Master Mode-exclusive mounts are dropped by Mini-bosses.
- Wall of Flesh: "Serving as the world's core and guardian, the towering demon lord exists to keep powerful ancient spirits sealed away."
- The Hungry: "The Wall of Flesh's many mouths, attached by bloody veins. As a last resort, they can tear away and hungrily chase down threats."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Fixed an NPC smoothing issue.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
References[edit | edit source]
- In expert/master modes, two of the 8 items (as well as Pwnhammer) will always drop from Treasure Bag instead of the Boss itself. See Treasure Bag (Wall of Flesh)
- Information taken from the Desktop 220.127.116.11 source code, method
- Information taken from the Desktop 18.104.22.168 source code, function
aiStyle == 27part
- Terraria's 8th Anniversary - Ask Redigit and Cenx! May 20, 2019
- Red's message in #journeys-end-chat (Image link)