The Hunter Potion is a buff potion which grants the Hunter buff when consumed. The buff shows the location of enemies on your screen by highlighting them and making them glow in a red light, if you would be unable to see them otherwise. This lasts for 5 minutes, but can be cancelled at any time by right-clicking the icon, by selecting the icon and canceling it in the equipment menu, or by cancelling the buff from the buffs screen. Although the enemies glow, they do not actually emit any light to the surrounding area.
These can be quite difficult to manually craft - you need a Shark Fin for each one; Shark Statues can make this a much easier process. Also, they can rarely be found in Pots and Chests.
- Hunter Potions are very useful for locating rare monsters such as Mimics, Nymphs and Cyan Beetles, or critters such as Truffle Worms and Mice.
- Bound NPCs like the Goblin Tinkerer and the Tavernkeep will be highlighted green under the effect of this potion, making locating them much easier as well.
- This potion has great utility when fighting burrowing worm enemies such as the Eater of Worlds, making it possible to see them underground and anticipate their attacks.
- Hunter potions can also be used to locate pocket caves underground by searching for enemies that spawn inside them.
- Certain enemies such as Wraiths will not be made any more visible by this potion.
- Using this potion will distinguish fake Lunatic Cultists from real ones.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Now makes enemies glow red and makes them not emit any light.