|Knockback||2 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||9 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||Summons a block of ice|
- Ice Block
Ice Rod is a Hardmode magic weapon that auto-fires blocks of ice. The weapon is unique in that if the point targeted is free of any blocks or placed background items, a solid temporary "ice block" is formed in midair (translucent, slippery, and glowing), at the point clicked, which lasts for 15 seconds before shattering. These ice blocks can create temporary platforms for standing or grappling, and also cast a dim, flickering light. The Ice Rod is purchased from the Wizard for
500000*50 on the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, or for 1000000*1 on the Old-gen console version and .
The point clicked must be unoccupied in order to form an ice block. If the space clicked is occupied, either by blocks or background objects, the block acts as an ordinary projectile (unaffected by gravity), continuing until it hits an enemy or other foreground objects, where it shatters and inflicts magic damage. Clicking an existing ice block from a previous casting will cause the next shard to pass through the existing ice block, which creates unique shielding possibilities during combat – as while the player can fire through their ice shield, most enemies cannot move or fire through them. (Exceptions include Worm-type enemies, casters, bosses, and other enemies that can attack through blocks.)
Its best modifier is Mythical.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The temporary "block of ice" summoned by the Ice Rod is unrelated to the Ice Block inventory item found naturally in Snow biomes. Summoned ice blocks cannot be collected or placed, and break automatically about 15 seconds after summoning.
- Upon shattering, summoned ice blocks release illuminated sparks that travel down through blocks, making the Ice Rod useful for discovering ores and caves.
- Regular blocks can be placed adjacent to the created ice blocks, which can prove useful in building floating structures (especially at higher elevations such as in Space), as it is not necessary to build a temporary connection from the ground to the building site.
- Wall-mounted light fixtures like torches will switch to a placed ice block over a background wall until it breaks.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Ice Skates or Frostspark Boots greatly enhance mobility on the ice blocks created by the Ice Rod.
- The Ice Rod can be used with wings to repeatedly reset flight time in midair, by casting a block of ice beneath the player's feet as they start falling. The flight timer will be reset as soon as they land on the block of ice.
- Since the ice blocks created can be grappled to with a hook or similar device, the Ice Rod can be used to get to the top of the world and other high areas, such as a Floating Island, more easily. While "stairs" are also possible, caution should be taken not to fall off.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Sell price reduced from
1000000*1 to 500000*50 .
- Increased block duration from 5 seconds to 15 seconds.
- Blocks are now slippery.
- Decreased mana usage from 7 to 6.
- Decreased use time from 16 to 8.
- Sell price reduced from
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.