|AI Type||Tortoise AI|
|Banner||Ice Tortoise Banner|
- Internal NPC ID: 154
“Like their jungle cousins, ice tortoises are an unexpectedly serious threat, possessing surprising speed and mobility.
— The Bestiary
The Ice Tortoise is a Hardmode enemy which is found in the Ice biome cavern layer. It attacks by spinning inside its shell and jumping at the player, similarly to the Giant Tortoise and Giant Shelly. It flies with high speed and accuracy, and deals moderate contact damage, making it dangerous to deal with for characters entering Hardmode.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Because Ice Tortoises emit a fair amount of light, they are comparably easy to spot. This also helps in revealing unexplored caves.
- While the Ice Tortoise hides in its shell, it takes very little damage. The quickest way to defeat it is to attack it continuously so it cannot retreat into its shell. Furthermore, while it is stuck like this, it will be unable to jump at the player, making it easy to kill safely. Any auto-swing weapon or yoyo can easily take it out. When attacking with melee weapons, using a weapon with high knockback will help keep it away.
- Giant Tortoises and Ice Tortoises cannot drop through platforms. If you set up platforms along an Ice biome you can farm them with ease.
- The Crystal Vile Shard is a useful weapon against Ice Tortoises, due to its ability to hit through walls.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated. Old sprite was
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Now has a chance to drop its respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Now has a chance to drop its respective banner. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Now has a chance to drop its respective banner. ()
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.