|Damage||17 / 21 (Summon)|
|Knockback||2 (Very weak)|
|Use time||36 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||Summons an imp to fight for you|
|Buff tooltip||The imp will fight for you|
- Flying Imp
The Imp Staff is a summon weapon which spawns a miniature Flying Imp minion that follows the player and fires fireballs at enemies. Fireballs always inflict the On Fire! debuff for 3–6 seconds and can pierce infinitely. Like other minions, the summoned Imp is invincible and follows the player for an unlimited amount of time, unless the player dies, summons a replacement minion, cancels the buff, or leaves the world.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Imp Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
Its best modifier is Mythical. Rounding reveals that both the Mythical and Ruthless modifiers provide the same increase to damage, increasing it from 17 to 20.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Imp attacks with an average rate of fire of once every 1.25 seconds. The delay between attacks can range between 0.75 and 1.5 seconds.
- While the Imp can fly through water, its fireball projectiles cannot travel through water. They stop at the water's surface and will not appear at all when the Imp is submerged in water. Regardless, the Imp will still attempt to fire at underwater enemies.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- On the Console version and Old-gen console version, the Imp's overall fire rate is low and inconsistent compared to the Hornet summoned by the Hornet Staff. On the Desktop version and Mobile version, however, its fire rate is drastically improved in exchange for lowered base damage. Nonetheless, the Imp still cannot attack underwater while the Hornet can.
- It is possible to obtain this weapon at the very start of the game without having to defeat a boss, giving early summoners a huge advantage. This can be done by fishing a Reaver Shark at the Ocean, which requires nothing more than a Reinforced Fishing Pole and Enchanted Nightcrawlers as bait. With the Reaver Shark, the player can immediately venture to the Underworld and obtain Hellstone in order to craft the Imp Staff.
- When an Imp is summoned using the Imp Staff with an enemy in its line of sight, it will usually fire immediately. This means that continuous summoning will generally give the Imp a more consistent fire rate.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Enemy immune frames caused by Imp attacks have been reduced from 10 to 6.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Fire rate increased dramatically.
- Damage decreased from 21 to 17.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Added requirement of 10 mana.
- Fixed a bug where the minion buff did not disappear upon leaving a world.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced, requires 10 mana.
- Console 1.0.1372.5: Sprite updated to match Desktop 1.3.1.
- Console 1.08: Introduced, requires 10 mana.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Introduced, requires 10 mana.