|Damage||17 / 21 (Summon)|
|Knockback||2 (Very weak)|
|Use time||36 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||Summons an imp to fight for you|
|Buff tooltip||The imp will fight for you|
- Flying Imp
The Imp Staff is a pre-Hardmode summon weapon. It spawns a miniature Flying Imp minion that follows the player and fires fireballs at enemies. Fireballs always inflict the On Fire! debuff for 3–6 seconds and travel in a straight line, piercing an infinite number of enemies. Like other minions, the summoned Imp is invincible and follows the player for an unlimited amount of time, unless the player dies, summons a replacement minion, cancels the buff, or leaves the world.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Imp Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
Its best modifier is Mythical. Rounding reveals that both the Mythical and Ruthless modifiers provide the same increase to damage, increasing it from 17 to 20.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Imp attacks with an average rate of fire of once every 1.25 seconds. The delay between attacks can range between 0.75 and 1.5 seconds.
- While the Imp can fly through water, its fireball projectiles cannot travel through water. They stop at the water's surface and will not appear at all when the Imp is submerged in water. Regardless, the Imp will still attempt to fire at underwater enemies.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Despite receiving a fire rate buff in Desktop version and Mobile version, it has a significantly slower fire rate than the Hornet Staff. This means that its damage output is only slightly better against a single target.
- Multiple imps will consistently interfere with each other due to how piercing damage works.
- It is possible to obtain this weapon at the very start of the game without having to defeat a boss, giving early summoners a huge advantage. This can be done by fishing a Reaver Shark at the Ocean, which requires nothing more than a Reinforced Fishing Pole and Enchanted Nightcrawlers as bait. With the Reaver Shark, the player can immediately venture to the Underworld and obtain Hellstone in order to craft the Imp Staff.
- When an Imp is summoned using the Imp Staff with an enemy in its line of sight, it will usually fire immediately. This means that continuous summoning will generally give the Imp a more consistent fire rate, though this is weaker than using a Ballista Rod, which has higher base damage.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Enemy immune frames caused by Imp attacks have been reduced from 10 to 6.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Fire rate increased dramatically.
- Damage decreased from 21 to 17.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Added requirement of 10 mana.
- Fixed a bug where the minion buff did not disappear upon leaving a world.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced, requires 10 mana.
- Console 1.0.1372.5: Sprite updated to match Desktop 1.3.1.
- Console 1.08: Introduced, requires 10 mana.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Introduced, requires 10 mana.