|Damage||17 / 21 (Summon)|
|Knockback||2 (Very weak)|
|Use time||36 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||Summons an imp to fight for you|
- Flying Imp
The Imp Staff is an aerial ranged summon weapon which spawns a miniature Flying Imp minion that follows the player and fires fireballs at enemies. Fireballs always inflict the On Fire! debuff for 3–6 seconds and can pierce infinitely. Like other minions, the summoned Imp is invincible and follows the player for an unlimited amount of time, unless the player dies, summons a replacement minion, cancels the buff, or leaves the world.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Imp Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback. On the Imp Staff specifically the Demonic modifier also adds the same damage as Ruthless making it slightly better because it keeps the knockback.
The Imp Staff attacks an average of once every 1.25 seconds. The delay between attacks can range between 0.75 to 1.5 seconds.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While the Imp can fly through water, its fireball projectiles cannot travel through water. They stop at the water's surface and will not appear at all when the imp is submerged in water. The imp will still attempt to fire at underwater enemies.
- Prior to 188.8.131.52, the Imp's overall fire rate was low and inconsistent compared to the Hornets summoned by the Hornet Staff. Since 184.108.40.206, however, the Imp's fire rate has been drastically improved in exchange for lowered base damage. However, the Imp still cannot attack underwater while the Hornet can.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to obtain this weapon at the very start of the game without having to defeat a boss, giving early summoners a huge advantage. This can be done by fishing a Reaver Shark at the Ocean, which requires nothing more than a Reinforced Fishing Pole and Enchanted Nightcrawlers as bait. With the Reaver Shark, the player can immediately venture to the Underworld and obtain Hellstone in order to craft the Imp Staff.
- When an Imp is summoned using the Imp Staff with an enemy in its line of sight, it will usually fire. This means that continuous summoning will generally give the Imp a more consistent fire rate.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The time it takes for 4 imps (no reforges) to kill the Wall of Flesh on Master Mode with Bee Armor in a For the Worthy world is 25.4 minutes, assuming every single imp hits an eyeball on every opportunity. The time taken is reduced to 15.6 minutes with a single Shark Tooth Necklace, and 11.9 minutes with both a Shark Tooth Necklace and Stinger Necklace.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Fire rate increased dramatically.
- Damage decreased from 21 to 17.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Added requirement of 10 mana.
- Fixed a bug where the minion buff did not disappear upon leaving a world.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced, requires 10 mana.
- Console 1.0.1372.5: Sprite updated to match Desktop 1.3.1.
- Console 1.08: Introduced, requires 10 mana.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Introduced, requires 10 mana.