Biome Keys are Hardmode items used to open the Biome Chests in the Dungeon. Opening a chest consumes the key. Though unusable until Plantera is defeated, they can be dropped at any time during Hardmode. On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, each key has a 1/2500 (0.04%) chance of dropping from an enemy in the key's respective biome. On the Old-gen console version and , they are not dropped directly and must be crafted from versionBiome Key Molds.
Any enemy in the biome that will drop coins when killed can drop the key, not just biome-exclusive enemies. Keys cannot be dropped by Meteor Heads, enemies spawned by a statue, critters, or any enemy spawned by a Celestial Pillar in the Lunar Events . Additionally, enemies in hybrid biomes have a chance to drop any key from their composite biomes. The biome key is determined by which biome the player currently is in, not the enemy killed.
Any Biome Key dropped prior to defeating Plantera will display the tooltip "It has been cursed by a powerful Jungle creature" and will be unable to open its respective chest until Plantera is defeated. However, these "cursed" keys are still usable in worlds where Plantera has already been defeated.
Types[edit | edit source]
Biome Chests[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Causing a large number of enemies to spawn in the respective biome is an efficient way to farm for the Keys/Key Molds. Events and certain boss fights are especially suitable for this.
- Placing your spawn point/base in one of the biomes can increase your chances of getting a biome key due to the large number of enemy deaths that occur near player bases. This works particularly well for the Snow biome, which is much less dangerous than the others.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Hallowed Key sprite updated.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Desert Key introduced.
- Changed the Frozen Key's tooltip from "Unlocks a Frozen Chest in the dungeon" to "Unlocks an Ice Chest in the dungeon".
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Desktop 1.2.1: No longer drops from enemies, instead crafted with a mold dropped in the same way.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: ()
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.