- For tips on obtaining Key Molds, see Guide:Farming Biome Keys/Key Molds.
Biome Key Molds are extremely rare Hardmode crafting materials exclusive to the console version and mobile version that are used to craft Biome Keys, which open Biome Chests. After the Wall of Flesh is defeated, every enemy killed within an eligible biome has a 0.04% (1 in 2500) chance of dropping a Biome Key Mold, With the exception of meteor heads. The type of Biome Key Mold that is dropped depends on the biome you are currently in (Jungle, Corruption, Crimson, Hallow or Snow).
On the Desktop version, Biome Keys will drop instead of Biome Key Molds, and all existing key molds will change into their respective keys.
- Unlike some real-world "molds", these are consumed in the crafting process and cannot be reused.
- Key molds can also be dropped by Bosses, like any other enemy, if the player is in the right biome.
- Enemies in artificially created Corruption and Crimson biomes will still drop appropriate key molds, even if the world does not have a corresponding biome chest.
- Although the key molds were removed in 220.127.116.11, their sprites still exist within the game files of the Desktop version.
- Keys to Biome Chests are now dropped instead of molds.
- Biome Chests can only be opened after Plantera has been defeated.
- All molds obtained in previous versions have been replaced with keys.
- 1.2.3: Drop chance increased from 1 in 4000 (0.025%) to 1 in 2500 (0.040%).