|AI Type||King Slime AI|
|Damage||40 / 64|
|Max Life||2000 / 2800|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- ( )100%
- Internal NPC ID: 50
"The lord of all things slimy."
The King Slime is a pre-Hardmode boss. Its appearance is that of a massive Blue Slime wearing a jeweled golden crown and has what appears to be a ninja inside of it. It lacks the crown on the Old-gen console version and of the game. version
King Slime spawns under one of the following conditions:
- A player uses a Slime Crown.
- 150 slimes are defeated during the Slime Rain event (or 75 if King Slime was already slain in the world at least once).
- Rarely in the outer lateral sixths of the map, during daytime, and only on grass.
As King Slime takes damage, he spawns additional ordinary Blue Slimes (and in Expert mode , Spiked Slimes) and will also appear to shrink in size. He will always drop one piece of Ninja armor when defeated. When King Slime spawns, the status message "King Slime has awoken!" appears, and then once defeated, "King Slime has been defeated!"
While King Slime is alive, music Boss 1 will play.
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Manual[edit | edit source]
King Slime can be forcefully spawned by having a player use a Slime Crown. This can be done anywhere at any time.
Random[edit | edit source]
King Slime has a very rare chance of spawning naturally if the following conditions are met:
- The player is located in the one of the outer lateral sixths of the map (the far left or far right).
- Depth is above zero.
- It is daytime.
- There must be standard, green grass at its potential spawn point (off-screen; see NPC spawning)
Slime Rain[edit | edit source]
If 150 slimes are killed by players, lava, traps and/or summoned minions during the Slime Rain event, King Slime will spawn. Defeating the boss will end the event shortly after – if all players die (even on singleplayer), the boss will despawn and the event will continue for some time before ending on its own (between 9-15 in-game hours). If the King Slime has already been defeated on a world, it will only take 75 slime kills to spawn the King Slime.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Although being a large and resilient enemy, in addition to boss music playing during the fight, King Slime is often regarded as a "side-boss" or "mini-boss" (though there is no official word on this from the developers). He differs from traditional bosses in the following ways:
- King Slime can be encountered regardless of the current level of game advancement.
- He is the only boss who takes damage from lava.
- King Slime does not travel or fire through blocks, which creates shielding or trapping possibilities that do not exist when battling most other bosses (though traveling too far from a trapped King Slime can cause him to teleport out).
- He has certain spawning conditions that are more similar to those of regular enemies than those of bosses.
- On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, if the King Slime's target is unreachable, it will teleport near/on the player. This can be performed from any distance and prevents easily trapping the boss within a small area.
- King Slime's absolute highest jump can clear a 17-block-high wall.
- In Expert mode , King Slime summons Spiked Slimes along with normal slimes as he loses health. Note that these are not affected by the Royal Gel.
- King Slime can spawn inside of blocks, making him unable to move unless through teleporting.
- It is possible for King Slime to teleport to the player after they died fighting in the outer layers of the world.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Piercing weapons can not only damage King Slime but kill the additional slimes it spawns.
- The Blue Slimes it spawns can drop Hearts and Stars, which respectively restore 20 health and 100 mana.
- Spawning King Slime while in specific areas using Slime Crowns can be a quick, easy way to farm for specific drops, such as souls, Biome Keys, Pirate Maps, Halloween and Christmas drops or Cascade, Hel-Fire, Amarok, Yelets and Kraken yoyos, due to the high number of Blue Slimes spawned during the fight.
- By using a Starfury while King Slime is falling down after jumping, he can take over 50 damage for each time he is hit by the star.
- Note that King Slime himself does not drop any Gel, but the Blue Slimes he spawns do. This makes King Slime to be a good way to farm Gel, for Flamethrower ammo and Asphalt Blocks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It seems that the source of the Ninja armor is from the ninja inside King Slime.
- In the Old-gen console and versions, he is the only boss to drop a banner.
- The trophy dropped by King Slime seems to be a Ninjatō covered in slime. The Ninjatō is a common weapon which ninjas are usually shown to carry.
- The images for the ninja inside the King Slime and the crown are stored in separate image files. The King Slime's sprite without them looks similar to an enlargened sprite of a normal Blue Slime.
- Despite sometimes being considered the easiest boss in the game, he does the second highest damage of any pre-hardmode boss, only beatable by the Wall of Flesh (Skeletron in Expert mode).
- King Slime is the only slime that can sink in water.
- King Slime is the only boss capable of spawning randomly even after it has been defeated.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
King Slime in pre-1.3, when he did not have a crown. In Old-gen console and , King Slime is still like this.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Ninja sprite updated.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- A sprite for a crown added. Without the crown the sprite was .
- New drops added.
- Now has an Expert mode AI.
- Now teleports whenever stuck and when not in range of the player for over 5 seconds.
- Now spawns after the Slime Rain event.
- Now drops the Solidifier.
- Desktop 1.2.4: New drops added.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Now floats in liquids and doesn't make a splash sound when hitting water.
- Only one King Slime may spawn at a time now.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- Two pieces will drop from the Expert mode Treasure Bag.