|Type||Boss – Slime|
|AI Type||King Slime AI|
|Damage||40 / 67|
|Max Life||2000 / 2800|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 50
King Slime spawns under one of the following conditions:
- A player uses a Slime Crown.
- 150 slimes are killed during the Slime Rain event/75 if King Slime was previously slain.
- Randomly in the two outer thirds of the map (never in the center third).
As King Slime takes damage, he spawns additional ordinary Blue Slimes (and in Expert mode, Spiked Slimes) and will also appear to shrink in size. He will always drop one piece of Ninja clothes when defeated. When King Slime spawns, the status message "King Slime has awoken!" appears, and then once defeated, "King Slime has been defeated!"
Most players consider the King Slime to be the easiest boss in the game, however, with his teleporting ability added in 1.3, this matter is up for debate.
While King Slime is alive, music Boss 1 will play.
Random spawning[edit | edit source]
King Slime has a 1 in 300 chance of spawning in place of another slime if the following conditions are met:
- The player is located in the two outer thirds of the map (the far left or far right).
- Depth is above zero. It may spawn slightly below the surface, though, as the average ground level is higher than that.
- There must be standard, green grass at its potential spawn point (off-screen; see NPC spawning)
Slime Rain[edit | edit source]
If 150 Slimes are killed by players, lava, traps and/or summoned minions during the Slime Rain event, King Slime will spawn. Defeating the boss will end the event shortly after - if all players die, the boss will leave (except in single player where the boss will teleport itself to the new location of the player at respawn) and the event will continue for some time before ending on its own. Although killing the King Slime will end the event, it is not required, as the event will end naturally once it reaches its end (Between 9-15 in-game hours). If the King Slime has already been defeated on a world, it will only take 75 Slime kills to spawn the King Slime.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
|Slippery Shinobi • "Defeat King Slime, the lord of all things slimy."|
|Defeat King Slime for the first time.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While a large and resilient enemy, and Boss music plays while fighting him, King Slime is often regarded as a "side-boss" or "mini-boss" (though there is no official word on this from the developers). He differs from traditional bosses in the following ways:
- King Slime can be encountered regardless of the current level of game advancement.
- It is not a required step to advance the game further. Defeating him does not provide access to any characters, areas, or critical items (though the Slimy Saddle, Slime Hook, and Ninja armor can be useful if acquired early).
- King Slime does not travel or fire through blocks, which creates shielding or trapping possibilities that don't exist when battling most other bosses (though traveling too far from a trapped King Slime can cause him to teleport out).
- On the Desktop version and Console version, if the King Slime's target is unreachable, it will teleport near/on the player. This can be performed from any distance and prevents easily trapping the boss within a small area.
- A player can only summon the King Slime one at a time. Attempting a second spawning will not work, and will not consume the Slime Crown.
- In Expert mode, King Slime has a higher HP (2800) and summons Spiked Slimes along with normal slimes as he loses health.
- Goblin Scouts spawn in the same locations as the King Slime, so you'll know if you're in the right place if you encounter any. In such locations, keeping a minion active to kill slimes as you explore, build, etc., will eventually result in a King Slime appearance. A Water Candle and/or the Battle Potion can speed up the process of encountering it.
- Note that King Slime itself does not drop any gel, but the blue Slimes he spawns do.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- King Slime can be a good way to farm Gel, for Flamethrower ammo and Asphalt blocks.
- King Slime behaves exactly like a normal slime, except that he jumps much higher and farther, can teleport if stuck, doesn't float, and spawns other slimes as he takes damage.
- Piercing weapons can not only damage King Slime but kill the additional slimes it spawns.
- King Slime's absolute highest jump can clear a 17-block-high wall.
- Magic weapons work well, since the blue slimes it spawns drop Mana Stars, which refill 100 mana each.
- If you want to come across King Slime early on in the game, build your house near the edges of the world where he can spawn frequently.
- Once you get a minion (probably the Hornet Staff or Imp Staff), they can automatically kill unwanted enemies in order to make way for more potential King Slime spawns (in the appropriate locations).
- Spawning King Slime while in specific Hardmode areas using Slime Crowns can be a quick, easy way to farm for specific drops, such as Souls, Biome Keys, Pirate Maps, or Halloween weak-enemy drops, due to the sheer amount of blue Slimes spawned during the fight.
- An easy way to fight the King Slime is by putting platforms over an area, grapple on to the bottom of the platforms and use a ranged or magic weapon and shoot him with it as he won't fall through platforms.
- Another super easy way to fight the King Slime is to build a 20-block-high vertical rope in the middle of a flat area, climbing to the top of the rope then use a ranged, magic weapon or a yoyo to hit him. Neither the King Slime nor its spawns can hit you.
- By using a Starfury while King Slime is falling down after jumping, it can take over 50 damage for each time it is hit by the star.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It seems that the source of the ninja armor is from the ninja inside King Slime.
- In the console, mobile and 3DS versions, it is the only boss to drop a banner.
- The trophy dropped by King Slime seems to be a katana covered in slime. A katana is a common weapon which ninjas are usually shown to carry.
- The images for the Ninja inside the King Slime and the Crown are stored in seperate image files. The King Slime's sprite without them looks similar to an enlargened sprite of a normal Blue Slime.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Ninja sprite updated.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- A sprite for a Crown added. Without the crown the sprite was .
- New drops added.
- Now has an Expert mode AI.
- Now teleports whenever stuck and when not in range of the player for over 5 seconds.
- Now spawns after the Slime Rain event.
- Now drops the Solidifier.
- Desktop 1.2.4: New drops added.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Now floats in liquids and doesn't make a splash sound when hitting water.
- Only one King Slime may spawn at a time now.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.